Return 64GB for 16GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jarnold, Oct 10, 2013.

1. jarnold macrumors member

Hey guys,

So I've finally been able to reserve my Gold iPhone 5S from the apple store! Anyway I had to buy the 64 GB version of it even though I would prefer the 200 bucks and the 16 GB version. So I know I have 30 days to return it and I expect that by the end of that 30 days the apple store will have the 16 GB version in stock. I was wondering if anyone has returned their higher capacity iphone and been able to exchange and get money back? Is it a hassle or pretty straight forward? Thank guys

2. eddyecb macrumors regular

Why not sell it, gain a nice profit and then buy a 16gb model?

3. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I've never done it before, but it should be doable. Alternatively, you could sell your 64GB version on eBay for more money and use the earnings toward a 16GB plus have a lot of money extra.

4. D3TSURA macrumors member

You might want to check with Apple and your carrier. Most carriers only allow 14 days for you to return your phone and get your upgrade eligibility back.

5. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

From what I udnerstand. Apple gives you 30 days, but AT&T and Verizon only give you 14 days.

6. dmystic1 macrumors regular

This true but I have heard you can return the phone to apple, but after 14 days AT&T will not restore your upgrade eligibility. I would check.

7. jarnold thread starter macrumors member

Okay guys thanks for the info. I'll check with my carrier. I have verizon. So the iphone without an upgrade is 650? How much could I sell it for?

8. jonAppleSeed macrumors regular

Why did you buy it if it's not what you wanted? So many people want a gold iPhone in 64 GB and you buy one just to return it? Apple can't sell it as new any more.
    Good one buddy.

9. bwsteg macrumors 6502

As long as your confident that apple will have the 16GB in stock, then you can disregard the 14-return period from your carrier.

Apple gives you 30 days to return or exchange. After 14 days, forget about returning it and focus on exchanging it instead since you will no longer be able to recover your upgrade.

If your not sure about inventory status, best bet would be to return the device within the 14 day period and wait until you get your hands on the 16GB.

10. jarnold thread starter macrumors member

I bought it cause I needed a phone. Mine has a cracked front and back. You can see the phones internals in the back cause it's cracked so bad. The 64 gig was all they had. If I can't sell the 64gig to someone who does want it or they don't have 16gig within the time frame then ill keep it. Oh and I'm not your buddy.

----------

I'm pretty confident they will have the 16 within 30 days, but when I exchange they cover the $200 price difference right?

11. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Yes they will refund you the difference plus applicable taxes.

12. acarney macrumors 6502

Verizon or AT&T?! Did you take my gold 64Gig Verizon iPhone at the Tukwila store?!?! lol

13. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

This is exactly what the Apple Rep told me when I was there yesterday.

14. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

I was gonna flame you for buying a phone you didn't intent to keep but you won me over with that line, guy.

15. acarney macrumors 6502

I wanna flame him if he got it from the Tukwila store! They had TWO units today and I was going to drive 3.5 hours (each way) to get one and was about to order it when they sold out! >.<

How about you cancel and try again tomorrow OP? Maybe I can toss you a $25 Apple Giftcard or something as long as it shows back up in their system and I can snag it ;)

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

MacRumors has a Marketplace forum and you can start a thread with the Feeler tag where folks will tell you how much you should be able to get for it and where. Typically folks make offers in Feeler threads.

Oh, he's not your guy. :D

17. Xerotech macrumors 6502

The gold iPhone is going for substantially higher prices. I would check the most recent listings that ended. I see tons of 16GB Gold iPhones running at 900-1k+.

Some of us don't have access to it yet. :eek:

18. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

How much are the 64 gb gold 5S Verizon phones going for?

Where is the forum you refer to?

19. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

20. PNutts, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Duh on my part. When I posted that I knew that there was a minimum but I didn't stop to think that the titles would indicate that. A minimum of 250 posts and 6 months membership.

If you meet the minimum requirements (above) it is here.

Edit: I looked and no gold iPhone posts since 10/1 so things have calmed down over there.

21. Gary500 macrumors regular

Gary500

I don't want to risk eBay or Amazon for my gold 64 gb, no one is buying mine even for $1100 on eBay...anyone know if I should just sell it online? Where else can I sell it?

22. michlc88 macrumors member

No Exchanges

I attempted to return my 64GB Space Gray ATT iPhone for the same exact model in Gold. Apple would let me return it, but they said ATT's return policy is only 14 days. I was on my 18th day, so they said it wouldn't restore my upgrade and possibly charge an ETF. I asked if it would be possible to just exchange the phone without messing with the account/upgrade, and they said it was not possible. It's kind of ridiculous and very un-Apple like. I went ahead and bought the phone unsubsidized and unlocked and sold my Space Gray on eBay. There has to be an easier way for Apple to do this, especially since they had very limited color selection at launch....

23. KPOM macrumors G5

That Verizon phone can be sold to anyone who uses Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile (it's unlocked) so you should be able to get $850 for it net of sales charges since the gold is in hot demand.

24. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Have you tried this? I'm looking to do the same thing as the op and my 14 days is up. But a lot of people are saying you can only return it? The exchange part, not really looking to do a return.

25. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

You can exchange it, but you won't get your upgrade eligibility reset and so you'll have to pay full price for the new phone.