Return iPhone5 w/in 30 days - what about contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adonnan, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Adonnan macrumors newbie

This may not be the best place for this, but maybe someone else has encountered the same issue.

Within the past 30 days we 'upgraded' to another iPhone 5 for my wife and stuck with AT&T because we get a 25% service discount through her old employer.

We were also hit with a $35 'upgrade' fee and I so far have had zero luck getting it removed. This of course led me to shopping around.

T-Mobile for two iPhone 5's and unlimited everything is $120 per month and no contract. We pay $110 with our discount, block text/video messages and only have 2gb data for the wife.

If we return her phone w/in the 30 day period what happens to the AT&T contract?

2. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Have to ask. Where did you get the iPhone from, Apple Store/Online or did you get it from the Carrier ? USA or another country ?

Apple of course has a 30 day return period for the phone. Carries normally are 14 days.

If you cancel the contract, lets say from AT&T, you have their 14 day cancelation period, and return of the phone. Apple store purchase is only for the phone if you don't like it.

Check your Carrier. Hope this helps. If someone in the know has a different opinion. PLease weigh in. ;)

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/returnpolicy.html?#fbid=xzHGb7iqX9k?tab2

3. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

4. Adonnan thread starter macrumors newbie

We purchased the phone at an Apple store, so you get 30 days to return.

I am assuming this 30 day policy is also extended to the AT&T contract. For both new and existing customers.

After running the numbers we do not have a huge financial advantage to switching to another carrier, but staying out of a contract looks to be worth the hassle. As well as taking advantage of the new model that is about to be released.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Your contract will reset, however I'm not sure if it happens immediately or not.

6. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Check your Carrier. Only a phone call away to be sure

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Never assume. Apple's return policy applies to the product itself -- not at&t's service. The carrier's policies do not fall within Apple's jurisdiction. The agreement with your carrier is between you and the carrier and does not involve Apple. Double check the terms you agreed to with your carrier.

From http://store.apple.com/us/help/iphone (emphasis added)

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

also keep in mind that just because you were upgrade eligible, it doesn't necessarily mean you were out of contract before. you might still incur an early termination fee if you leave. talk to an at&t rep.

9. rockitdog macrumors 68020

AT&T's return policy is 14 days. Even though Apple has a 30 day return policy, you are on your own when it comes to your carriers contract as a previous poster mentioned. After 14 days with AT&T your paying an ETF fee even if you have 30 days to return a device to Apple.