Return or Keep LG Display 15'' Retina MBP? (LG Owners Please Chime in Too!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Starfyre, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

So after using the Samsung screen for a while and observing a uniform, yet ever so very subtle yellow cast on everything. I got a new machine that is "fortunate?" enough to be a LG display...

I immediately notice there is absolutely no uniform "subtle uniform yellowish tint" unlike the Samsung.
    I put up a all white wallpaper, looks great. I put up an all black wallpaper, looks great. However, when I use the following test:

http://imac.squeaked.com/test.php

Clicking "Test Screen" (in pitch black room), which causes the entire screen to fill up with black except for some white text near the top center... I notice there is a "greenish/yellowish/bluish" tint in the top left corner"... whereas on the Samsung, the same scene appeared more uniform on the Samsung. The strange thing is I don't notice it when I use an all black wallpaper, only when I fill the whole screen black form that site above....

Aside from that, using the laptop itself, I can definitely say that I am seeing plenty of white with none of the "subtle yellow" distraction. Is this normal? Or is it something that should be returned? Anyone else with an LG display notice this same condition despite not having the yellow tint?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Mine is an LG and it is fine
    I haven't run any tests on it, because I am too busy using it :)
    Looks great in normal usage, and since that is how I use it, nothing else matters to me

3. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

In normal usage, it is a perfect white screen. When I use "Test Screen" at the above link to fill the whole screen with black, in a room with lighting, it looks fine too! (maybe a slight tinge of green in the top left corner, but overall looks uniform).

When I turn all the lights off and do the same thing, you can see there is visibly a slight color difference in the left corner which has some yellow/green/blue, but again in normal use it is unnoticeable.

4. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

I returned mine with an LG display for almost the same reason. I had a reddish hue on the right upper corner watching a movie, game, or loading Windows. So basically when the screen requires it to be black, it looks like there is light leaking on the corner.

5. Starfyre, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Yes, but it literally is unnoticeable when there is any light in the room. So its not "annoying" unless all lights are off and the room is pitch black. Did you end up getting a good LG or Samsung display after return/exchange?

If just the way these panels are Apple forces a pick between....
    Uniform Samsung, but very very subtle yellowish tint....
    vs
    Uniform LG (when there is any light in the room), but noticeable "greenish/yellowish tint in corner" when its pitch black in a room...

I would probably pick the LG just because during normal use there is absolutely no yellow whatsoever and white is pure white, black is pure black... (unless room is pitch black)

That is why I am hoping LG owners could chime in and see if there is actually an LG display that doesnt have such an issue.

6. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

It would really bother me for a $2600 machine. I am trying my luck tonight with the best buy elite night special. I can purchase the mid spec 13 rmbp for $200 less at $1299.00. I'll probably sell this next year for around $1200 and get broadwell :)

7. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

My two cents...

I realize these are expensive computers; but if you go looking for problems long and hard enough you'll find them in anything. It sounds like you're being a little OCD to me.

Is this something you ever would have noticed if you weren't looking for it? No, it isn't. So congratulations! Now that you've found it, it will incessantly bother you forever.

I suppose if it really bothers you, then return it; It's certainly your right as a customer. But with the mentality you have, I guarantee you'll find something you don't like about the next one too.

8. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

This.

9. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

As it is a $2600+ machine, I do pay attention to problems that shouldn't be there. Having had a display with a subtle yet existent yellowish tint, though uniform. I have the following expectations...

1 - No yellowish tint (uniform or not)
    2 - Uniform (solid black despite having a slight yellowish tint, just like my prior machine)

Those are the only two things I've been looking into long and hard. As for as those two things go:

1 - Normal Use = Uniformity, White, no Yellowish Tint)
    2 - In pitch blackness, no uniformity with noticeable slight yellow/green/blue tint in a corner.

Cannot help being a little OCD when paying the Apple premium, but that is why I wanted to know if what I am asking for is too much to ask. If based on the conditions I've described in my previous post, this is normal for the LG or even a Samsung, then I will just keep it.

As a customer who has owned non-Retina versions in the past and not having experienced this problem, these were non issues as the screens were uniform and white. Its a first for me.

10. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

How often do you use your computer in "pitch blackness"?

Probably not much. That's all I'm saying.

This seems like it's really bothering you though. So by all means, return it. If you do, my advice is simply to just enjoy the next one. Use it normally and if no problems present then be content.

11. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

My screen is a 15" LG and its flawless to me. IMO people are too anal. How does the screen look to you while you are using it? That should be all that matters. Not some off the wall test that produces results you would otherwise never see.

12. sabbyp macrumors regular

seriously can you all shut up about the screens now, they're completely fine.

if you have to put yourself in complete darkness and run a flash test to see a slight amount of yellowing you need your head looking at, not your laptop.

13. bravo.ftwftw macrumors member

bravo.ftwftw

Exchange it! Based on the production week of the serial number that you provided offline, this was part of the very first batch. It was manufactured in week 37 (September).

Even though Apple did not officially announce the new rRMP until 10/22 & you have the maxed out 15" unit, they would have started producing these in September to have them available right away after their announcement.

Also you picked up your machine at the Apple store -- so it was not "factory-fresh." Check out my post about how to use the serial number when buying or exchanging a machine at a physical Apple store.

14. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Goodbye LG, hello Samsung. Much more attractive. I have a version that is in the October timeframe, which looks once again uniform, but whiter. I don't think having the latest production week has much to do with it. I compared it with an in store display at production week N and it looks the same.

Watching a movie in pitch blackness, blacks are actually black without any discoloration in any corner.

15. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

I'm with the above poster. It's a test pattern, for pete's sake. It doesn't resemble real world usage whatsoever.

16. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

+1. If you can't get it to show up outside of the "test" environment, be happy and move on! There's no such thing as a scientifically "perfect" IPS display.

17. sixrom macrumors 6502a

The way to assure you're happy with any Apple product is to ignore it's princely price.

The margin goes into Apples pocket, not the product. Next avoid comparing, Apple will influence you to upgrade before you planned anyway.

Finally prepare to marvel at that impressive fruity logo, that's what we've all paid a Kings Ransom for :)

18. qawsed macrumors regular

19. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

It would be difficult to be tinted both blue and yellow, as they are opposite colours...seems more like a problem with your eyes than the screen.

google colour optical illusion you will see why people rely on calibration devices rather than their eyes!!

eg

http://www.moillusions.com/peacock-brothers-illusion/colorii1/

the two birds are identical in colour, but you would swear blind one has blue feet!

20. Sybersport macrumors newbie

I wanted to add my opinion and experience, and I think I likely represent a lot of users who have received a "less than perfect" screen, but are still satisfied with it.

I have a 15" 2.3/16/1TB w/ dGPU. LG screen. It was a little on the warm side out of the box, so I adjusted the color settings to cool it off. It looks great (to me) now.

I ran the IR checker box test and didn't see any sort of IR. I also check, from time to time, for IR by making my screen all grey or black and looking for IR on the dock. I haven't seen anything yet, and I would assume if I had any sort of IR, it would show up since my dock is sitting there static all day long.

When I ran the black screen test, I saw a few concerning things: there is a yellow spotlight coming from the bottom left hand side, and a pinkish spotlight coming from the top right hand side. Both aren't too bad (I've seen some bad backlight leak on the forums here), but it's definitely there.

The only time I notice either of the yellow or pink color cast / bleed is when I'm watching a wide-screen movie full screen, and it's very dark / pitch dark in the room. Even then it's not really noticeable.

During normal use, I can't see any of the issues at all.

I debated returning my unit and getting a replacement, but based on what I have read, there is a high likelihood I'll get a similar unit with backlight bleed, or perhaps one that's even worse.

Do I expect perfection? Personally, I expect the product to work as advertised, which it does. Only when I'm watching movies in a very dark room can I see any sort of issue, and even then it's not a serious issue. Could I exchange it for a new unit that may be 100% perfect? I guess I could, but I'm perfectly happy with what I've got.

I fully understand and respect those who want absolute 100% perfection - to each their own. But to me, my rMBP works great and I don't even think about the backlight bleed unless I'm on the forums here looking at pictures of others who have it.

21. eneisch macrumors 6502a

+1 to Sybersport's comment above. Some of the pictures of screens I saw legitimately are terrible during everyday use and need to be replaced. But I also think some people (myself included) are obsessing over perfection that is probably unattainable in any mass manufactured product.

22. msyip macrumors newbie

Hello Sybersport

I got exactly the same config as yours with my rMBP15, and find the display a bit on the pink side. As I am going to use it for photo editing and print out, may I learn the method you use to calibrate the display or make it cools cooler ?

Look forward to your kind reply. Thanks !

23. ifaptoomuch macrumors newbie

I have an LG and I haven't really spotted anything bad. The screen is absolutely gorgeous and I dont think I've encountered any yellow tinting or ghosting issues.

24. MacSumo macrumors regular

I've returned 6 LG displays, and 1 samsung display after each one failed objective colorimeter testing. I just couldn't accept consecutive faulty products.

Edit:
    for most people here, your brightness should NOT be above 60% just to be able to read the screen correctly. If you find yourself increasing the brightness to have better color accuracy, your screen is bad.

25. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Maybe you need to find a different computer?