Return unlocked iPhone 4 for 4S on T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danny_w, Mar 25, 2012.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes, another 4/4S question. I am on T-Mobile and recently (within the 14-day return period) bought a factory unlocked iPhone 4 (black). It is working beautifully and is a great phone (I had an iPhone 4 on AT&T a few years ago but have since switched to T-Mobile). I do not have or want a data plan, since mostly everything that I do is within wifi range. Anyway my question is what kind of advantage (if any) would I see if I returned the 4 for a 4S? I am thinking not much if any (I think that Siri would be useless w/o a data plan, correct?), except for 16GB instead of 8GB storage space. I don't know if the faster processor would be noticeable or not since I have not used one.

I guess my main purpose for exchanging if I do would be future resale value. If I were to upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it comes out I know that a 4S would bring more than a 4, but how much more? Would it be more than the $100 premium I would be paying to exchange? I just want to cover all of my bases.

I have also toyed with the idea of returning mine for a white model, but I know that is simply personal preference.

2. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

If its not going to cost you much. I would do it.

If you have a 4 & 4S together you will notice the spd difference for sure. Atleast I do when I do simple tasks on my wifes 4.

As far as being worth more. Id say it would be a no brainer as the 4 is quite old now.

Your choice though!

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

^ +1 to everything above. An unlocked 4S retails for a good chunk more than an unlocked 4, though. I'd keep that in mind. Sure, resale value will be better, but you are also (likely) spending more on the phone up front.

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I have both, and honestly, I don't see a huge difference in stuff like emails, txts, app opening etc.. Web browsing does indicate that the 4S is faster, but not significantly!

If you play games, then the 4S is a no brainer.

However, if you consider re-sale value then def. opt for the 4S.. But isn't the 4S [ 16Gb ] $649 and the 4 $549 ?

5. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, the 4S is $100 more (I just paid $549 a few days ago). I Know the 4S would be worth more at resale but I don't know if it would be worth enough to recoup the extra $100.

6. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

That's a legitimate reason to keep the 4.

However, if you're considering re-sale [ say the iP5 works with TMO's 3G/4G ] the 4S may not recoup you the extra $100 you'll fork out today, but it'll sell a lot faster than the 4!

7. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

ANY iPhone here sells really fast, so I don't expect a 3S to sell much quicker than a 4. I just sold a 3GS and it went within hours for my full asking price. This one may be trickier since it is factory unlocked and will therefore sell for me. I have not yet seen any factory unlocked iPhones on CL, but I'm sure that if I did they would feel very quickly.