iPad Returned iPad Air to Best Buy. They banned me for life.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BJonson, Nov 6, 2013.

1. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Bought iphone 5s on release day. They messed up and sold it to me off contract (its against their policy). I traded in iPhone 4 and 4s and got $370 in gift card and used it on 5s purchase. Got it home and had gyro problem. Went to exchange it and they would not give me another one. They accepted return.

Bought ipad air 16gb the other day. Screen was half yellow and they would not price match Walmart or Target for $479 so paid full price. Got in on the $200 ipad exchange program at Target and picked another air up. Screen perfect. Returned ipad today and was told I'm banned for life due to too many returns.

Called Best Buy corporate. Was told that's what I deserve from CSR. :eek: Told to drive 1hr to other best buy to use that gift card I got back.

Store was Merritt Island FL Best Buy mobile store at Merritt Square Mall.

Gonna use this gift card at other store when mini retina comes out then I'm done with best buy forever. Hope they go out of business.

2. protoxx macrumors 6502

protoxx

You abuse it you lose it. They are a business that tries to make money, not a free rental service.

3. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Yep.

Best Buy is very excited that you will never shop there again.

You cost them big $$$ as soon as you step in the door!

4. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I'm a silver rewards member at best buy and I've returned tons of things. I've never been banned. This sounds pretty crazy.

5. brentsg, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

brentsg macrumors 68030

I wouldn't jump to conclusions in that regard. Best Buy is aggressively banning people for often little reason. I read one story of a guy being banned for 90 days because he swapped a Blu-ray that was ordered from their online store and it was damaged in shipping.

A phone with a gyro issue, and an iPad with a messed up yellow screen both sound like pretty reasonable reasons to expect a swap.

Keep in mind that they are also using a third party service to share (and access) your return history with other retailers. Lots of people are being denied for stupid things.

Example:

http://articles.courant.com/2012-04-09/business/hc-bottom-line-best-buy-returns-20120409_1_return-fraud-return-or-exchange-fraudulent-returns

Let's face it, one of the single remaining reasons one could use to justify shopping at Best Buy was their liberal return policy. That's gone regardless of what the sign on their wall says, so it's time to move on and take business elsewhere.

6. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Thus why I hit Apple stores for exchanges :x They don't resent their customers.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I purchase all my Apple devices from my Apple Store
    I would order online before I would buy from another retailer

8. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

gotta pay a little more and buy directly from Apple, worth the peace of mind in my opinion.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's unlikely that Best Buy can afford to absorb the cost of multiple returns. Apple gets you for a lot more than Best Buy, as their retail stores are backed by an oem. In the case of Best Buy they are dependent on retail markup, which may not be high on these devices. If the issue is continuously faulty products, that isn't a problem with the retailer.

10. brentsg macrumors 68030

Faulty products should be going back to the manufacturer. I'd agree that "I just don't like it" stuff is an issue that's tough for the retailer.

The problem that I have with Best Buy is that they aren't really honoring the spirit of the return policy that they want to keep posted on their wall. They claim to use The Retail Equation service to eliminate stuff like people returning TVs after the Super Bowl, but in reality they have it dialed up to weed out just about everyone.

11. Macalway macrumors 68000

That's rash. They should of given you a warning

You can't blame them for blacklisting dead beats (not you, but people who abuse), but they need to adjust this policy a bit

12. jsebol macrumors newbie

Well, I have a nick on my bezel, and last night while playing Limbo, my screen started displaying weird patterns. Almost like the graphics weren't able to process correctly.

Tried it on numerous games and didn't have the issue pop up again. Played a different game this morning, and the issue appeared again. So its not happening every time, but obviously there's an issue w/ my iPad.

Going to exchange at Best Buy, hope I don't run into any issues. Well within my 15 day return/exchange policy.

13. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

They are cracking down, and everyone gets treated the same. It's partly there fault: I went to a Best Buy a year ago, and wanted to buy some headphones. They didn't have that model on display, but they were pricey. The salesperson told me to return them if I didn't like them. I thought that was nice, and began going there more often. It seemed like every visit resulted in a salesperson saying, "If you don't like it, just return it." I haven't had too many returns, but it have taken them up on that offer.

Don't worry about being banned. Just have a friend or family member make your purchase or exchange. Best Buy is often nearby to many, making it convenient. Don't buy an 80" TV for Super Bowl Sunday, and return it on Monday, however. :D

----------

You would have been warned after your last return. If you weren't, no problems. ;)

14. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

They sure used to be. BB's old return policy was ridiculous easy and often abused.

If you're prone to returning for persnickety issues, just buy from Apple.

15. BJonson thread starter macrumors 6502a

BJonson

I wouldn't care about ever going to best buy again because quit frankly they are rude at that store but to hand me a gift card and tell me to never shop there again is BS.

16. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

A 100% return rate on expensive times with probably their thinnest profit margins isn't confidence inspiring for the retailer. Maybe he shops there regularly, but all we know right now is that he has lost them money.

Returning to apple is different because they are the manufacturer and will just use them as refurb items.

17. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

You're actually not banned for life. Your just not able to return anything for 3 months. After 3 months I believe you can make up to 2 returns per quarter. BB uses a company that monitors customer returns, too many returns and your deemed a "bad customer".
    Ive been on the list for over 2 years or so. I still buy things there, I'm just a little more careful before purchasing.

18. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Ive worked in retail(a while ago but still) and "liberal" return policies end up being a huge problem for the retailer. Already operating on tough margins since there is no money in hardware anymore and having to dela with the problem of price matching Skippy Bobs online store.... I cant believe any of these places still exist. BB should honor their policies for sure but once a person gets a little too aggressive with it they have every right to say "uh uh".

I get that some of you love the idea of BB going out of business. I have never had an issue with them but I understand that some have. Fair enough. But, understand that *some* customers are like a wet booger in the sand jar of happiness for retailers. Im not saying the OP is, but Ive been there and seen this from the other end.

As usual - careful what you wish for - I enjoy having real stores to go to and shop at. I love Amazon too but sometimes I want to go and see the product or only will buy local if its something huge like a big TV or whatever.

I dunno. If all the stores go away except for Apple stores or whatever - you think thats somehow good for the consumers? Ill answer for you: Its NOT.

19. Macalway macrumors 68000

A warning is needed. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure you couldn't litigate this
    If they don't spell out this policy in writing, to where it's easily accessible, then they could be vulnerable

20. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Agreed. A warning would've let the OP know where he stood with this retailer. But for all the folks who use Best Buy to window shop and then buy elsewhere (i.e.: Amazon), it has to be problematic at times and IIRC, BB wasn't in the best state for survivorship last year. In order to remain solvent, they could be cracking down & this is one example of how.

21. BJonson thread starter macrumors 6502a

BJonson

It wasn't a 90 day suspension or anything like that. The manager said I'm not welcome back in the store ever again. Said they will not sell me anything. Thats totally different than being told to not return stuff. On top of that handing me a gift card and saying that should be illegal.

22. brentsg macrumors 68030

I understand what you're saying, but as soon as they start treating everyone like they are the problem, they're done.

I'll buy from the local guy if I like the people and they can share some knowledge that I don't have. That isn't Best Buy. I'll buy local and pay a bit more if I know I can bring it back if I don't like it. In the absence of these things, I'll go with the best price online every time.

23. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I have no problem cracking down on returns, but if an item is defective then it should always be returned. Now renting an item is another issue altogether.

That's why I typically don't buy items like Kindle's or iPads at Best Buy. The odds of a bad screen are too high and I don't want to get the 90 day no returns. I have never been warned at Best Buy.

I know the use The Retail Equation to track returns, but I do not believe the same company tracks all of your purchases so I am thinking its simply a certain number of returns (at a specified dollar value) that gets you on the no return list?

24. Macalway, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

Macalway macrumors 68000

Im careful with big ticket returns

On the one hand, I'm loath to keep something I don't want, that's perhaps shoddy, but I'm very reluctant to return something just because I'm indecisive, or am just unsure.