Returned iPhone without accessories

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
So I exchanged my iPhone 5 from Black to White - and I've not included the lightning or headphones.

As I thought they'd just give a new handset, but instead they gave me complete new box, with white iPhone.

Will they request the accessories back?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
They won't, though if you feel guilty you can bring them back to the store and return them.

Comment

DollFaceDork

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Narnia
I did the same thing when I got my iPhone 4.

I took back the new ones in the second handset I got rather than the ones that had been stuffed in my ears.

Comment

DollFaceDork

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Narnia
To the same Apple store I got the second handset from, the ones who would be missing the accessories, I took the box for my black one into the store with me when I got the swap.

Comment

MaC rA mE

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
How long after you got it did you return it? If I got my phone from a telco, reckon I could walk into my local apple store and do the same (I'd return the extras of course lol)?

Comment

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
How long after you got it did you return it? If I got my phone from a telco, reckon I could walk into my local apple store and do the same (I'd return the extras of course lol)?
If your within the 14 day return period....

Comment

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Free lightning adapter & headphones for me then!

where did you return it to, and what did you do with the other box?
Apple Online (UK) a courier (UKMail) came to collect (black iPhone 5).

You're allowed to return or exchange your iPhone within the 14 day period.

Comment

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If I got my phone from a telco, reckon I could walk into my local apple store and do the same (I'd return the extras of course lol)?
If you got your iPhone from some place other than Apple, Apple will only provide warranty support for it (via the Genius Bar). This may involve them giving you a replacement phone (that may or may not be refurbished, most likely not since this model is so new), but this replacement phone they give you will come from a reusable little white box with no accessories in it.

If you got your iPhone from Apple, and you're within your return window, you can return your iPhone back to them, and then turn around and buy a brand-new one. You will end up with all of the accessories if you do it this way. After your return window is up, you'll go through the warranty repair (Genius Bar) method above.

But you can't take an iPhone that you bought from a carrier back to Apple for an exchange, for no reason (like wanting to switch colors).

Comment

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
So I exchanged my iPhone 5 from Black to White - and I've not included the lightning or headphones.

As I thought they'd just give a new handset, but instead they gave me complete new box, with white iPhone.

Will they request the accessories back?
I would return them. The apple employee told me a ton of people steal them and don't bother returning them. I am not saying you stole them because it's clear you didn't

I'd still return them though, morally speaking. I will be returning mine with the replacement phone, I don't need two lots of accessories.

Comment

mhuang2286

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
lol a multi billion dollar company won't care if you don't return the $5 prices of plastic they sell to you at $30 each.

Comment

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They don't really care because they'll refurbish the phone itself with a new case and battery and include new accessories to be sold in the refurbished store or as white box replacement iPhones.

Comment

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Same happened to me on the 4s, I dropped I'm coffee the day after I got it and used the AppleCare exchange. Guy gave me everything and I said "I already have the charger and headphones" and he said "won't hurt to have a second set" and I left.

Comment

Nautilus007

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
No one will care, no one will appreciate your honesty. Keep them if you want or return them if it will make you feel better.

Comment

minneola24

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
The thing is apple will most likely toss those headphones. So there's no point giving them back.

Comment

timychann

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
They don't really care. If you sent the in you would run a risk of getting just your iPhone in a white box with nothing. On the return sheet of your iPhone, it should say not to pack any accessories as it will not be sent back. (Re my iPad 2 return)

Comment

slookx24

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2009
If I knew a pair of earphones were returned, even if they were refurbished, I would not want them. Headphones, yes. But earphones? That's disgusting. I don't need your ear wax in my ears and you don't need mine in yours.

But I would definitely keep the lightning cable because it's absolutely stupid that the item is backordered all the time.

Comment

scotigno

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
I have a genius appointment today because of a defective home button. I am just wondering when i go to the apple store should i bring my box with the accessories or just bring the iPhone?

Comment

jrhudson

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Yea same question they sent me in new everything. A new iphone 5 box with everything. I called applecare for the replacement and i got one a few days ago. But the thing is its a return.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.