Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Had the hissing issue discussed here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452008/

restore, set up as new, reset network settings, SIM swap, nothing fixed it: hardware issue.

But I didn't want to a genius bar swap and invalidate my 30 day retail return policy. Doesn't seem right for a device that was just bought! I understand going this way when it's like a few months out, but 3 days? Not too comfortable.

Told them I was going to get a different GB size so they didn't have a genius verify the issue in order to return it.

I think I will just order another one when they get in stock.

But even for the weekend of using iOS 6, non-jailbroken, I missed jailbreak alot.

Maybe now I'll sit on my 4S jailbroken until 5 gets the treatment.

Decisions, decisions...

Does anyone else miss jailbreak from previous iPhones tremendously? The iPhone 5, notwithstanding the issue I had, is great. But 4S is still an excellent device as a holdover.

bzavala

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I do miss my JB too but I'm enjoying the 5 a lot... especially the lightness of it, the speed and the battery life.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
But I didn't want to a genius bar swap and invalidate my 30 day retail return policy. Doesn't seem right for a device that was just bought! I understand going this way when it's like a few months out, but 3 days? Not too comfortable.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this...can you explain?

I got my 32gb black from apple.com, but I want to take it into a store and get a 16gb black instead.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah i dont go really overboard with it but I use:

Activator (to slide left near the status bar time to simulate hitting the lock button)
Zephyr because I hate using the home button
TetherMe for tethering
FullScreen Safari for portrait full screen (come on iOS6, just landscape?)
WeeKill Background to kill all background apps with one click in N. Center
NCSettings for wifi/respring/brightness/etc toggles in Notification Center
FakeClockUp to enhance the speed of UI for opening apps

those alone enhance the experience GREATLY for me.

----------

I'm sorry but I don't understand this...can you explain?

I got my 32gb black from apple.com, but I want to take it into a store and get a 16gb black instead.

Swapping a 32gb for 16gb will be fine, because you will be swapping your phone for another retail-packaged phone, and it shows up on the receipt as a swap, so you can always return it within 30 days.

If you buy an iPhone, have a problem with it, don't do a retail exchange (new in box for new in box, instead "new" iPhone from a black box behind the Genius Bar, your retail 30 day return policy is toast.

ex: Buy iPhone, have an issue, swap it at the bar, decide you want to go back to an older iPhone and return it all together. That warranty swap invalidated the return policy.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Yeah i dont go really overboard with it but I use:

Activator (to slide left near the status bar time to simulate hitting the lock button)
Zephyr because I hate using the home button
TetherMe for tethering
FullScreen Safari for portrait full screen (come on iOS6, just landscape?)
WeeKill Background to kill all background apps with one click in N. Center
NCSettings for wifi/respring/brightness/etc toggles in Notification Center
FakeClockUp to enhance the speed of UI for opening apps

those alone enhance the experience GREATLY for me.

----------

Swapping a 32gb for 16gb will be fine, because you will be swapping your phone for another retail-packaged phone, and it shows up on the receipt as a swap, so you can always return it within 30 days.

If you buy an iPhone, have a problem with it, don't do a retail exchange (new in box for new in box, instead "new" iPhone from a black box behind the Genius Bar, your retail 30 day return policy is toast.

ex: Buy iPhone, have an issue, swap it at the bar, decide you want to go back to an older iPhone and return it all together. That warranty swap invalidated the return policy.

Really? That's news to me. I assume others will also chime in that this info is incorrect.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
A senior level executive at Apple confirmed it when I walked through a hypothetical scenario.

His rebuttal was: "Do you actually plan on returning it within 30 days?"

I'd like that flexibility... :/

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Question for the JB folks:

I've heard lots of good things. I'm considering JB when the iOS6 version comes out. I used to JB back in the day (iPhone 1 & 3G) but Apple added several of the features I wanted (filming video being #1).

The feature I want most now is tether.

So, to the questions:

1) How does JB affect battery life these days?

2) Have you ever got warnings from your carrier for using tether with grandfathered unlimited? I've heard stories of that happening.

3) What are the best new features in the JB world?

Thanks (and sorry if I hijacked the thread a bit but the OP mentioned his love for JB :D )

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Same size but different color is a retail-for-retail exchange so it doesn't apply. Genius Bar won't exchange your phone for anything but what you gave them (in terms of lock status/carrier associated, storage, generation, and color)

Only warranty exchanges kill the 30 day.

I'm surprised many of you werent aware of this. Glad to enlighten :D

Oofie

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Same size but different color is a retail-for-retail exchange so it doesn't apply. Genius Bar won't exchange your phone for anything but what you gave them (in terms of lock status/carrier associated, storage, generation, and color)

Haha, glad I saw this thread and your info :D

Thanks!

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012

Not true...I've called 2 apple stores and they would excahnge my 32gb for 16gb in store...they just don't have the stock :(

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Not true...I've called 2 apple stores and they would excahnge my 32gb for 16gb in store...they just don't have the stock :(

Re-read my post, GENIUS BAR swaps are only for the same models, when you have a lemon of sorts.

Otherwise, if you're changing anything about the model (carrier, color, size), it's a retail swap
(and certainly possible to do, I was just saying it's a different process than a warranty exchange)

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
Re-read my post, GENIUS BAR swaps are only for the same models, when you have a lemon of sorts.

Otherwise, if you're changing anything about the model (carrier, color, size), it's a retail swap
(and certainly possible to do, I was just saying it's a different process than a warranty exchange)

This is being brought up in another thread and I am curious where this policy is outlined by Apple.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Give AppleCare a call and run through this scenario with them.

They'll confirm it.

michaelmac3

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
That was a problem I am facing too. Have a warranty exchange on the way.. gonna use it a while then decide to send my old one back. If the replacement is just as bad I'm sending the replacement back, returning my 5, and going back to a 4S or onto an S3.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Question for the JB folks:

I've heard lots of good things. I'm considering JB when the iOS6 version comes out. I used to JB back in the day (iPhone 1 & 3G) but Apple added several of the features I wanted (filming video being #1).

The feature I want most now is tether.

So, to the questions:

1) How does JB affect battery life these days?

2) Have you ever got warnings from your carrier for using tether with grandfathered unlimited? I've heard stories of that happening.

3) What are the best new features in the JB world?

Thanks (and sorry if I hijacked the thread a bit but the OP mentioned his love for JB :D )

I stopped using the jail break on my iphone 4 as i used an app called 'skygo' very frequently, which is a service offered by sky which allows me to watch the programmes on my iPhone.

itunes picked up i was jail broken even with x-con installed !

Battery life was never an issue for me.

The tweaks i thought i wouldn't want to live without were forgotten after using my stock iphone for a coupe of weeks. I stress this was in my world and i concede their are owners out there who would never move back to stock and thats fair enough.

The iphone 4 was pick pocketed so i bought the iphone 4s and never went through the process of jail breaking it for the reasons ive mentioned above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.