Carrier Returned my sprint 5s b'cuz of slow data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joybulb, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

I've had sprint for prob 10 yrs, but sprint 3G only since the 4S. The data has been atrocious(.12mb avg) since day one. They always say it's getting worked on. I decided to try the 5s to see how the LTE was. It's good but I don't get it unless I drive to a town 10 mins away. I returned the 5s w/in the 14 day window and the bozos at the sprint store were incredulous. Needless to say, I miss the touch ID and slightly faster loading on certain apps, but other than that my 4S still works like a champ. Guess I'll wait for that 6.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Unless Sprint gets better in your area, you'll have the same issues with the iPhone 6.

3. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Hopefully they will get their network going by the time the i6 is released -I had to leave Sprint because after being a customer for 15 plus years.....my data service was terribbblllee in the Bay Area

4. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Have you thought of moving to AT&T or Verizon by chance. Its not the phone. Its the carrier you have. Had Sprint all of one afternoon, had terrible coverage and data, so it went back the next day. It didn't take me long to figure that one out, so why is it taking you so much time to move on... ??

5. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Switch carriers... Isn't that just common sense?

6. Gary500 macrumors regular

Gary500

Just switch to T-Mobile. They have blazing fast LTE with very low rates. :rolleyes:

7. 1981d macrumors regular

I had them for 2 days. I don't think their service is going to get better, b/c ATT and Verizon already own the frequencies that can penetrate buildings. I also think they are probably making more money on restocking fees for returned phones than on new service.

8. SONiC5, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

SONiC5 macrumors regular

I too have a 4S on Sprint, with atrocious data speeds, so I don't blame you at all.

But if LTE is 10 mins away, I imagine it wouldn't be too long before you received it at your location, but it depends on what Sprint market you live in I guess.

So does Sprint, why it isn't running yet (on a large scale) is beyond me. But the 5S/5C are the only Sprint devices to support LTE 800 at the moment, so maybe its launch is imminent, idk.

9. mac.cali macrumors 65816

10. Demonface macrumors 6502a

11. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Sprint is getting better and better as the days go by.

Also its all subjective depending on where you live. For example, in my area T-Mobile and ATT have garbage cell phone reception. What do I care about great data service, when people can barely understand me when making a call...

In my opinion, Verizon is the best of both worlds and provides the best reception for voice and data...

12. Joybulb, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

Joybulb thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

Returned my sprint 5s b'cuz of slow data

Yes, verizon it is, that's my plan with the i6. I guess I wasn't clear about that. Around here Verizon coverage is great. Sprint could get better(I doubt it, but hope that they would is what made me stay with them), they have a year to do so. My wife is still on contract with them, so if by the end of that they aren't better, it's Bon Voyage.

13. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Poor you, it works great for me :)

Attached Files:

14. 550Deano macrumors newbie

Sprint Data SUCKS!!!!!!

I too, have been a Sprint customer for 15+ years and have terrible data problems in the Orange County, California area. I have the 4S as does my wife. We are due for upgrades in December and looking at Verizon. The Sprint LTE coverage in my area is just as bad as the 3G. They have wimax, but I don't think it is as good as LTE. We have unlimited data, but if it sucks then I'm gonna switch.

My question is: How much data should I buy from Verizon if I plan to tether to our iPads? We will both get the iPhone 5s. Can anyone share with the amount of data they use in a similar situation???

Thanks,
    DEAN

15. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

What I don't understand is why all you people are on Sprint in the first place!!! GET OFF!!! They don't deserve to be #3 carrier. T-Mobile does. T-Mobile will eventually exceed Sprint, but not until they replace all the GPRS/EDGE towers with H+.

16. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Some of us adults still use "smartphones" primarily for voice calling, it isn't all about data speeds.

And in my case Verizon and Sprint are the only two carriers who provide great cell service/coverage, with Verizon providing the better data service.

In my case, T-Mobile and ATT isn't an option because of poor reception. It becomes a hassle when I have to go out to my balcony to make a simple call...

17. AJAAY macrumors regular

I have Sprint, thankfully at work (no wifi) I am on LTE, and at home (no LTE) I am on wifi. LTE coverage in my area I would say is 90% so majority of the time I am in LTE.

Sprint is only worth it if you are saturated in LTE.

18. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

That's a lame excuse! This isn't GSM vs CDMA anymore. I have used both recently and the difference is pretty much negligible. Actually, the Verizon iPhone 4S I used sounded a tad worse than my AT&T iPhone 4S.

Sprint is a pathetic budget carrier for those who can't afford the big boys. Look at how much money they're loosing right now. I don't expect them staying in the #3 spot too much longer.

If you want a phone to make calls, well there are many phones that do just that. Why have a smartphone if your not going to need reliable data?

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Sprint has been around longer than Tmobile. But yeah of things continue at the current rate they will surpass them. Sprint has been bleeding the most customers as a result of tmobiles new plans. It's a good thing Sprint doesn't unlock their phones or else they would have exponentially more defections.

20. AJAAY macrumors regular

Do you realize T-Mobile is a budget carrier?

21. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I looked over my Sprint history before I ported out and we averaged 5gb over my 3 phones so I went with 10gb

22. Lammercy macrumors regular

T-Mobile is absolutely the best option here in Houston especially if I wanted to build my house right in the middle of 59, I10, Beltway 8, 610 or other major freeways which is about the only place you'll get anything more than EDGE from them.

23. joshdammit macrumors 6502

And yet they still work much better than Sprint.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! Still trying to convert us all, eh?!

Well, look at it this way. We aren't congesting your carrier's network with our traffic! :D

I can only speak for myself, but I stayed (continue to stay) because even with all of it's issues Sprint still works for me. I don't NEED 60+mbps download speeds. That's great, but it's not really going to make my browser any faster. And 3G as bad as it is, is still capable of streaming Pandora or Google Music.

Other's are different. In that case, go with whatever carrier meets your needs.