Returning 4S and going back to 3GS -how to re-activate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmoc04, Nov 16, 2011.

1. bmoc04 macrumors newbie

Hello. I am an iPhone user in the US. I bought the new 4S yesterday and moved my phone number over to it, all my apps, songs, etc. But when I got to work today (where I spend most of my time), I have a very difficult time sending iMessages, downloading data, using the internet, checking email. I never had these problems with my old 3GS. So this upgrade is essentially useless to me.

I am going to return the 4S to the Apple Store and then go back to using my 3GS. How do I go about going backward and re-activating my old phone? Or should I just go to the Apple Store, and return the 4S and have them start up my 3GS again? What's the best course of action. I don't want to lose my number and I don't want to screw with any of the contract stuff. I spoke to AT&T and they said if I return the phone, I can revert back to my old contract with them which expires in 2 months. Thanks in advance.

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Have you tried doing a restore before you take drastic action? Did you restore your 4S from a backup? That could be causing the issues.

3. bmoc04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I backed up my old iPhone 3GS and restored the 4S from that backup. What do you suggest I do before going and returning it?

It all works fine on wifi. It works fine on cellular when I am outside, but once I go inside, the data does not work. Requests time out. Cannot connect, etc. And it all definitely worked on my old 3GS. My seat has not moved within my office.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The 4S should get better data speeds than your old 3GS.
    Maybe a software issue, I'd also try a restore and setup as new. Not from backup.

5. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

4S has difficult time, not speed sending data!

I would have to agree, from iPhone 3G to iPhone 4 my connection has been going downhill and 4S is even worse. I have been thinking its the provider, but each time I read something like this Im wondering if it is the phone :confused:

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Can't say I have any issues connecting to data using the 4s. I will drop to edge in areas where my Skyrocket will stay locked on to LTE, but it still connects to the network in one way shape or form.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My speed with the 4S is even better than my iphone 4. But that's probably cause there is HSPA+ available in my area so speed is amazing.
    Obviously locations and service thruout the US will vary.
    But it shouldnt be the phone causing slower speeds than the 3GS. If that's the case I'd first try restore and setup as new or getting the 4S replaced in case its defective.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

My 4s never saw 1/5 of that at this time of day. B-)

Attached Files:

9. Geo411m macrumors regular

Didn't you already renew contract? Isn't it better to resell the iPhone 4s and get some cash back?

10. bmoc04 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did but I spoke to AT&T and if you return the phone within 30 days, they can revert back to my original contract. I can return the phone and get cash back too, so what's the difference then?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you return the phone obviously you cannot sell it to someone.
    What he was saying is stick with the contract and sell it on ebay or CL. They do sale for a good amount. Or up to you if you want to return and get a refund and have your upgrade eligability reset so you can upgrade again later.

12. bmoc04 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to try to restore from new like some people suggested and see how that works. Then if it doesn't, I'll just return it. Why stay with a 2-year contract for something I'm not even using?

13. benguild macrumors 6502a

You'll have to get a new SIM Card from AT&T. You can't reactivate your old one once it's been shut off.

14. bmoc04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. That is helpful information.

15. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

LTE and hsdpa use different modems*, different frequencies. For reference, the iPhone 4/4s use Qualcomm (I forgot the series) modems, and the previous ones use Infineon x-gold modems.

Edit: *even though different modems, can be put on same chip.

16. kre62 macrumors 68000

Make sure on ATT you are on a 4S data plan, which enables HSPA+. This will give you much better pings and data speeds. There is a difference. Log into online and click manage features and see if it says 2GB (or Unlimited, or whatever you have ) for iPhone 4S

17. bmoc04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. I checked and confirmed I have the appropriate plan for iPhone 4S.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Ahhh, see I was driving through a part of town I where my 4s would always drop to edge. With my skyrocket I was waiting for me to lose my signal through the same part of town. I was shocked when it stayed locked in to LTE. Makes sense though now. Thanks.

19. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Are you kidding? The 4S rocks in every respect. It has NONE of the 'reception' / antennae issues of the 4. And the speed of the A5 processor makes the 4S lightning fast on most things you do. In fact, this is the first cell phone that you can actually class as a computer IMHO. Did you know that you get 90 complimentary AppleCare support with the 4S. Just ring them and they'll run some diagnostics with you. I am sure it's some bug you ported over from your 3GS.

20. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I agree with this. I would have apple run some tests on the phone and possibly replace it with a new one.