returning a phone after trade-in (5S)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jeff3f, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Jeff3f macrumors member

I was going to get a gold phone but settled for a silver one. I'm undecided whether I'm going to keep it or return it within the 14-day window that my carrier has established (Apple would let me return it for 30 days but I'd lose my subsidy after 14 days). So I have a few days to decide.

When I bought the phone on launch day, I traded in my old 4S. If I were to return the 5S, what happens with the trade-in (has anyone done this)? Do they give me a credit? I can't imagine that they have the phone on ice, waiting out the 30 days. Can't imagine they'd try to just keep the cash...?

Also, upon returning, does it take about 24 hours for the subsidy eligibility to reset itself?

Finally, given that there is a $35 restocking fee, I think it's not an abuse of the system.

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're unhappy with your selection by all means return it.

Reports have stated the subsidy returns within a few minutes, though last year it took a day or two. It probably couldn't hurt to expect 24 hours but check in 10 minutes.

As for restocking fees, they are what they are.

3. Jeff3f thread starter macrumors member

yeah, I think restock fee is fair--it makes me feel better about changing my mind anyway.

How about the trade-in? They gave me a physical gift card that was immediately applied to the 5S purchase (though it seemed rather feeble once the applecare and bookbook case were included!).

4. AceMason macrumors regular

5. Jeff3f thread starter macrumors member

actually, I do not know for sure--I read mention of it and recall it in the past; I think it's apple's restocking fee.

6. AceMason macrumors regular

Oh, if you did buy from Apple, there shouldn't be a restocking fee. They eliminated them in 2011.

7. marcovortex macrumors member

marcovortex

I *think* you might be in trouble. I would call apple or visit the store you purchased from ASAP..
    I read somewhere that if you use apples trade in option, the new phone (5s in your case) gets flagged as non-returnable as part of the agreement you make with them. It would be great for someone to verify this or for you to reply back on this thread if it is actually the case.

As for calling the amount feeble that they offered you; that's on you. If you didn't like the amount you shouldn't have agreed to it.

8. Jeff3f thread starter macrumors member

wasn't here to complain about the trade-in value...I got a comparable amount to what Gazelle was paying so I took it.

The apple store clerk told me that I could return the phone, so I'm hopeful that this isn't the case--that would have been an opportune time to mention that trading in was going to nerf returnability.

9. Jeff3f thread starter macrumors member

ok, just to update--I called the apple store where I traded it, and they said that if I come in to return it there's no restock fee and they'd refund the phone trade-in via gift card. Since I'd likely buy another phone from them, then this works for me.

I may have an old 3gs around somewhere I can use to tide me over, ha ha.

I was partly hoping that they'd offer to return my already-recycled old phone to me, like in the movie "Vacation" (crushed and ready for the junkyard).