Returning an iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac2thefuture, Nov 1, 2011.

1. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

Is it possible to walk into a store with receipt in hand and ask for an exchange there and then?
    Got mine on launch day via online Apple store.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Exchange for what? If it's faulty, sure. If you just don't like the color or want a different size, probably not.

3. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

we (wife and I) got 4S's on launch day - my battery is rubbish, hers is great.

I want what she's got ;)

I called Apple Customer Care and they said they'll get a courier to collect and my new replacement would be ordered but, with demand he way it is, i don't fancy hanging around.

So, i wondered if i could go out of my way and pick one up/drop this one off, all in one foul swoop - she said it cat be done!! ??

4. Bodycalming macrumors member

Bodycalming

Yes, but you should have done it sooner! I returned mine on the 14th day stating that there is a sound drop problem and poor battery life. Make sure you are getting a "New' iPhone not a "Refurbished" iPhone, if not get a full refund. My first iPhone 4S build week was 40 the "New" replacements build week was 41. See this link http://store.apple.com/uk/open/salespolicies

5. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you Sir :D

6. netslacker macrumors 6502

Since you ordered from the online store you can exchange it in an Apple store if yours is faulty. You will get either a refurbished or new one, but there's no way to tell. It's likely a safe bet that since the iPhone has only been out for a couple of weeks that all service units are still new. Either way, doesn't matter much as you get the same warranty.

If you want a full refund, as suggested above, your only option then is to send your iPhone back to the online store (call and get an RMA). The Apple store will not take this back, it has to be shipped back (I know, lame). Ship it back to them and then they will reset your status with the carrier which will allow you to reorder another subsidized phone. So, shipping back, 2 days to reset stats, order again and back in the order queue with a to 1-2 week wait. That process could be as long as 2 1/2 weeks to get a new one. Is the hassle really worth it?

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The Subject makes it look like you want to return it and get your money back. You want to exchange it?

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Because it was purchased online, all Apple will offer you is a service replacement. You can't get a new in box unit unless you return to Apple.com and repurchase at Apple store after your eligibility resets. I've tried at 4 different Apple stores. Their hands are tied because you don't have a retail receipt. Web and Retail are not connected together for iPhones, everything else yes.

9. b24pgg macrumors 65816

To just make an exchange for another new device assuming yours isn't faulty, you'll have to reserve the replacement you want on the website to make the exchange.

10. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I want to exchange it and not have to wait two weeks. I already took a day off work for a launch day product, an expensive one at that, why can't i swap it at a store just like you can with most other items (shoes, toaster, TV etc, etc) ???????????

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You can get a replacement at the Apple store, but it's a warranty replacement (i.e. you won't get a new retail box). For some people this isn't acceptable, if you fall into that category then you're going to have to do the mail-in swap. If all you want is a replacement phone and you don't care what box it's in, head over to the Apple store.

12. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

What do you mean - "some people don't care what box it's in"?

13. phaggard macrumors regular

"one fell swoop," commonly meant to imply something bad happening to many people or things all at one time ...

Sorry but I was curious what the actual saying was.

14. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I would almost take a refurb over new anyway. Unlike the millions of iPhones off the assembly line the returbs are checked out thoroughly before they are allowed to use them. I'd venture that the chances of getting a defective iPhone 4S are higher on the brand-new units than refurb.

Michael

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I mean that if you don't mind that your new (replacement) phone is coming out of a plain black box instead of a pretty retail box with a picture of the phone on it, you're home free. Go to the Apple store.

Some people have complained that they want to get a completely new retail package when they exchange phones, even though the phone itself is identical regardless of what box it comes in. Personally I wouldn't care but from other posts here on MR some people feel very strongly about it.

16. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

Umm, I'm not really bothered about the box, I would however prefer a brand new phone as a replacement. Again, if I return a TV back to Selfridges, they won't give me a 2nd hand one.