Returning iPhone 7 and going back to iPhone 6. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dreamliner330, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

I bought a iPhone 7 256GB, primarily because Verizon is offering $650 for my 6 in the form of bill credits over 24 months.

I'm debating returning the 7 for the reasons below.

Screen
    This is by far my biggest and number one reason. I went through a major struggle on my 6 to get a screen free of defects (more details here). I was happy to see that my iPhone 7 has ZERO dead pixels, but it has three issues:

1) I can see the digitizer. There are faint diagonal lines across the entire screen I can see in dark environments on white and light colors. I can see these lines every night while laying in bed and using the phone (more details here).

2) Yellow screen, the white point is warmer than my 6 and its more yellow than I'd like. I admit I prefer a cool "snow" white, but if I saw snow the color of the whites on my 7...I wouldn't eat it.

3) My 6 screen is brighter. Apple claims a higher brightness on the 7 screen. Mine is dimmer, in addition to being yellower.

Bluetooth
    Ever since switching, my phone Bluetooth headset will say 'disconnected' immediately followed by 'connected'. This is annoying and didn't happen once on my 6 (more details here).

Speaker
    I immediately noticed the stereo speakers on the 7 and like it quite a bit. But the speaker on the bottom is not as loud as the 6. (The front facing speaker doesn't make up for this as the bottom speaker on the 7 is louder than the front facing speaker, so stereo imaging actually works), if I'm listening to a podcast from the other side of the room, I can hear it better on my 6. A minor quibble and NOT a reason I'd return it, I just thought I'd mention it.

UI
    I'm not sure if Apple is on a warpath to playschool or what but they've lost their way since iOS 6. I've got 8.3 on my 6 and I notice most of the UI elements in iOS 10 are simply ginormous by comparison. Most of the changes do not make the UI better. Also, the micro stutter on the app close animation is annoying. So is the keypad brightness glitch (if you have a 7, open the phone app, tap keypad, press home and tap the phone app icon again. It does a weird screen brightness adjustment that doesn't exist even on iOS 10 on previous iPhones). My 6 has tons of stutter and problems, but the 7 benchmarks over 2X faster...I expect more. I've grown used to these iOS 10 changes and I wouldn't return it because of it alone, but it adds to the frustration.

2-year Commitment
    I went through devices like water before settling on the iPhone 5 with jailbroken iOS 6.1.2. That was the best combination I've ever used. If I knew then what I know now, I never would have updated to iOS 7.

I only have the 7 because Verizon is doling out $650 for my 6. Unfortunately its in the form of 24 credits that will stop if I swap the phone for another. I have to decide NOW if I will keep the phone for a full 24 months to receive the full $650. If I end up wanting an iPhone 8 or whatever is released in 12 months, I'll only get $325 credit value for my 6.

Final thoughts
    I think I'm going to exchange it and see if the exchange is better (primarily that screen issue). IF it is, I'll keep it, if not...back to the 6.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

o_O

2. xsimplyjosh macrumors regular

that's why I go outright. very safe I can exchange easily if I figured some defects instantly. whereas if you sign up on an upgrade program or carrier plan etc... you're pretty much stuck with that phone afaik... [not sure how it is like if you sign up on the carrier plan VIA apple retail store]

edit: with iOS 10 its more of a refinement over iOS 9. from what I see so far. iOS 10 is a huge change only if your life depends on imessage/3d touch otherwise it's almost the same... this is me comparing to iOS 9.3.5 and its just albeit faster with a few new stuff to just get used to.

3. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

It's all an individual thing I guess. I have read about all the complaints people have and I am just not experiencing them, so I am good to go.

I suspect most are too, it takes certain types to live in the sphere that the super profligate's do.

Glad I am not one of them...

4. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I can't waste money on a phone I don't like either. That's why it's important it is defect free if I'm going to keep it for 2-years. :)

5. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

For your screen issues at least, with regards to number two:

Did you try going to Settings > General > Accesibilty > Display Accomodations > Color Filters then toggle on and adjust to your preference?

With regards to number 3:

Try auto brightness? Or moving the slider around after you've done the step above to see if you can find a brightness that suits you.

Speaker, set it to mono?

The phone has almost been out a week, give yourself some time to adjust to it. If you truely think you have a defective device, you can exchange it at the Apple Store. If not, I'm sure someone else would enjoy it. Hope the steps above work.

6. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I had that little gasket slowly slide over my front facing camera over the two years I had my 6. It was funny to me, became a game of seeing when it would affect the picture and it never really did.

Sure, I could have sent it in to be replaced and then I would have been without a phone. I could have also driven the 3 hours over two high mountain passes to the nearest Apple Store and then waited around while I would rather be doing my job as a commercial lifestyle / editorial photographer in a famous ski town, blasting down fresh powder snow, climbing 14,000 foot peaks, hanging at Kevin Costner's private trout fishing pond up the pass.

But I let it "slide"....because what matters to you does not matter to me and having some things in life be good enough means my life continues to be great enough.

To each his own Yoseph, 2-each-hiss-own...

7. Dreamliner330, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't know those color settings were there. I played around with it but I couldn't get it right. It was either too yellow or too blue. I'm after a crisp snow white.

I didn't know the speaker settings were there either. I played around with it a bit and with just the bottom speaker on the 7, it does seem a smidge louder than the 6 now. Thanks!
    I agree with your thoughts. And if I fully committed to those thoughts, I'd keep the 6.

To me, display problems are intolerable as is call quality (luckily no problems there). Just about everything else I can convince myself to live with.

The hiss I do have, which requires a firm press from the back of my uncased phone to my ear during a benchmark, doesn't bother me at all. ;)

I'd also be more tolerable (except display issues) if I could pay outright for the phone and get the full credit right away (ensuring zero potential lost money).

8. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found out my local store happens to have a 7 256GB in stock. I'm swapping it tomorrow. Too bad I can't have them both in a well controlled environment to transfer the glass screen protector. Seems like I'll have to eat that. :(

The more I use the 7 the more I like it.

9. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Verizon replaced my 7 on Friday and it didn't have the diagonal lines on the screen. But it had a dead pixel and what sounds like a blown earpiece speaker.

I just received another replacement....guess what. Diagonal lines on the screen!

10. 2015Girl macrumors regular

2015Girl

11. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I noticed both phones that have the lines both start with the serial number of F4G.

12. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I got 4 new iPhones for my family and they're all fine. Last year with the 6S they were all fine too.

Given your "luck" with phones, pretty sure you'll need to go through a bunch of 6's to get the "perfect" one too. Might as well save the hassle and swap out the 7 one last time and then enjoy life, lol.

Really curious what the digitizer lines look like. I never heard of this issue.

13. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

In recap. 100% of all iPhone 7/7+'s I've tried (9 in total so far) have had the earpiece speaker make a buzzing/distortion sound on max volume (the lower speaker does not do this and the upper speaker buzzes/distorts on almost anything over 70%, it's just difficult to notice).

Both the first and third 7 (both with serial starting in F4G have had the diagonal lines.

The second 7 has no lines but buzzes like the rest and has a single dead pixel.

I ended up getting the 7 256GB for $650 and I'm getting $650 in credits for my 6 (either a hidden sale or some Verizon computer glitch).

I'm not happy with the yellow screen tint, speaker buzz or dead pixel but the extra performance is nice.

I'm going to keep #2, send in the 6 as the trade-in and probably burn through Apples replacement stock at some point until I get one I want. (I was messing with this now because I really don't want an Apple refurb)

I still think the 6 screen looks better and sounds better too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14. pdxmatts, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

It's not a glitch or a hidden sale. All of the carriers offered this promotion. But, the price difference of the 256gb will be added to your monthly amount owed

15. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not a glitch or a hidden sale. All of the carriers offered this promotion.[/QUOTE]
    I paid $650 for a 256GB...nobody is offering that.

16. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

[/QUOTE] I paid $650 for a 256GB...nobody is offering that.[/QUOTE]

Well ya, then that was a mistake. It says that price on your installment plan paperwork?

17. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. It even says $27 something per month.

;)

18. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

my f4g has no lines. and I know exactly what to look for as I went through several 5s to get one without.

Serial numbers are myth.

Take 100 F4G and you'll find good and bad ones.

19. zulugod macrumors member

zulugod

I had a similar issue. Opened up my new iPhone 7 Plus and noticed the screen was dimmer than my 6S Plus with the same settings. Turns out the fix for me was to give the 7 Plus a hard reset.

Hold Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at once to switch off - after a few moments, restart in the same way as you have powered it off. Now the screen is instantly brighter.

20. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

...dayam - and I thought it was just me that was experiencing that micro stutter in the animation, when closing apps, thought it was just my OCD experiencing the micro stutter. Glad that you've pointed that out, which now confirms that its a bug in the UI.

Yea - my 7 also does that weird screen brightness adjustment thing when following the same steps in the phone app.
    :confused::confused:

21. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Most of the issues I experience are usually systemic in most, if not all, devices. Most just don't notice. Ignorance is bliss. :)

22. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5 iPhones later, I finally ended up with an iPhone 7 I will tolerate. There are two persistent issues I've noted with ALL iPhone 7/7+ I've seen, 14 in total:

Sound Quality Sucks
    I've noticed that the iPhone 7 earpiece speaker sound quality is very poor and sounds distorted/buzzy with any amount of volume over 50% in Podcasts, music or speakerphone, so much so that I will no longer listen to podcasts or use speakerphone without a headset. This is especially frustrating to me for 3 reasons:

1) Apple should know better.
    2) I use speakerphone all the time, I use my phone for work and probably used it 4+ hours per day.
    3) I probably listened to 3+ hours of podcasts a day and about another hour of YouTube.

I've tested a total of 14 iPhone 7/7+ and 100% of them have had this crappy top speaker. To me, it is unusable compared to the iPhone 6. Odds are this has something to do with waterproofing, I've heard some reviews mention speaker quality issues with a Galaxy Note 7/S7 due to waterproofing. Even still, the bottom speaker of the iPhone 7 sounds fine so I find this an unacceptable excuse. But so glad it's stereo... #Lame.

Screen is Yellow
    It's yellow. White is not white. It is not a snow white and if you saw snow the color of the iPhone 7 white, you would not eat it.

Phone Swap Fun
    iPhone 7 #1 (S/N: F4G): Diagonal lines on screen, over heat warnings, Bluetooth issues.
    iPhone 7 #2 (S/N: C6K): Dead pixel.
    iPhone 7 #3 (S/N: F4G): Diagonal lines on screen.
    iPhone 7 #4 (S/N: C6K): Scratch on screen, didn't even power on.
    iPhone 7 #5 (S/N: C6K): No issues other than yellow screen and crappy sound, like every other 7.

Summary
    It's very frustrating to me that I had to deal with this. Its even more frustrating that people give Apple a pass on their shortcomings. The speaker is entirely unacceptable. When compared to an iPhone 6 the poor sound quality is immediately apparent. The fact that I have to completely change my workflow due to a design/assembly defect is infuriating. The only reason I'm keeping the 7 is because I ended up with a iPhone 7 256GB for $650 and I'm getting $650 for my iPhone 6. The performance difference is dramatic and my 6 constantly had memory reload issues.

I don't look for issues. I'm just hyper aware of them and notice them right away. If Apple ever offered a "VIP Flawless Device Experience" surcharge, I'd pay it.

23. geta macrumors 6502a

Go back to landline phone - non of the problem will be exist.

24. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Landlines don't have spell/grammar check.

#AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

:)

25. FoxD macrumors 6502

It does have its issues for sure. My main ones are:
    Too warm and yellow screen
    Brightness sucks

What I do like:
    Louder sound and front facing speaker
    Faster LTE and wifi speeds
    Faster processor, instant for everything now
    2x optical zoom
    Taptic Engine effects, love feeling it in games and messages etc.

Home button is ok, either is fine really IMO