Returning my c300 thats in my mbp 2011. Any recomendations on another ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JustCorz, Apr 10, 2011.

1. JustCorz macrumors newbie

As tittle says, i've had the c300 for two weeks now and have had no luck getting it to work in the main hd bay of my 2011 17" 2.2 mbp, although it works in the optibay i would much prefer it to work as it should at 6gbs so i've decided to return the c300.:(

So can any one recommend another ssd that will more than likely work within £180 price bracket. Im in the UK

Thanks in advance

2. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    if you can wait, i would recommed the vertex 3

they are currently around the £230-250 mark but prices will soon start drooping.

For 180: i ordered my 120gb from macsales.com - it was 204 USD, when factoring in vat, int shipping came to just under £175

3. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

4. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I have quite a bit of SSD experience, and the best I've had so far is the 240GB VERTEX 3 I Installed in my PC laptop. I haven't installed any in my macs yet due to the TRIM / garbage collection issues. Soon I expect Apple to catch up, at which point I will go with SSD's in them also.

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

You can already enable TRIM in Macs if you search around. It's been discussed plenty.

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    don't forget: to save 30/40 quid now would mean you would get a sata-2 drive that will not hold it's value and have less upgrade potential in the future

also as you have a 2011 MBP, utilize the sata-3 capabilities

The owc drives are right around the corner, these will drop the v3 prices in the US, having a knock on effect on the European SSD market.

If you can, i would wait just a month or so, or cough up the lil extra for a v3
    it will be well worth the initial investment!

7. SeniorGato1 macrumors regular

I returned my intel ssd 510, 250gb, and went with a cheap 128GB Kingston. buy.com has them on sale occassionally for $150. They use the same controller as Apples OEM SSD's.

The performance difference between these 2 were negligible. SSD 510 had a 20 second boot time ,vs 25 for the Kingston. Apps seem to open just as fast.

8. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

TRIM is nearly pointless on OSX anyway. So much worry about TRIM and it barely helps read / write times on OSX.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/apple/2010/07/01/mac-ssd-performance-trim-in-osx/7

9. JustCorz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies,

I just had a look on amazon uk and they have a 128gb kingston ssd selling for £150 that is over $200? is that worth it?

I would love to get one of those vertex 3 drives but the price for me at the moment is just too much.

I suppose i could wait a few weeks to see if the vertex 3 drives come down in price and to see if they are truly compatible!

10. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

So far the reports have been very positive. Actually, the only problems have been from those using the hack to enable TRIM. Without TRIM they seem to be flawless and extremely fast. I would be patient and wait till they come down in price.

Just watch this video of the 2011 i7 booting and opening 10 programs in 20 seconds. Stunning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgbephqmCkk

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I have never used TRIM on any of my SSDs and they are all running at almost full capacity and little to no speed change. My OWC has lost 30MBs after ridiculous amounts of read/write play. Our 64 GB SSD in the original MBP Benchmarks the exact same speeds as the day we bought it, and its size reduction is nominal, and that is a very primitive drive compared to what is on the market now.