Returning new 32GB iPhone for 64GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iParis, Sep 7, 2012.

1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I have the money to be able to get the 32GB new iPhone but would like to get the 64GB because of how big my music and video library is and with the 1080p video recording compared to the 720p on my iPhone 4. I plan on preordering the 32GB as soon as preorders go live then sell my iPhone 4 on launch day (already have buyers) then take the new iPhone back for the 64GB and pay the difference, which there shouldn't be a problem with. Will I have to pay a restocking fee? I thought they stopped doing that but earlier this morning I saw someone on here mention it. And will I have to pay Verizon's $30 activation fee when I get the 32GB in the mail as well as when I activate the 64GB later that day? I know this might seem silly, but I just want to make sure I get one and I'd sell my iPhone 4 sooner but then I'd be without a phone until the 21st and I'm pretty sure Verizon doesn't let you take your number off a phone without transferring it to another, unless you pay a fee.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Apple doesn't have a restocking fee. Not sure if you will have to pay an activation fee twice or not, but you could probably get them to void the fee by calling.

If I were you, though, I'd just wait til I had the money.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

When I bought a phone at full retail price they didn't charge an activation fee, but when I upgrade they do. I would think you would only be charged once and it's b.c the upgrade. Make sure you return it w/i 14 days.

4. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Maybe I'll do that. I might just end up going to the Apple Store really early on the 22nd. I just worry about them not having it.

Ah. Good to know! I was under the impression and heard it was now with any activation. Hm. Are those 14 days starting at the date I purchase the preorder, most likely the 12th, or when it arrives on the 21st? That would be stupid if it's when I preorder it because 9 of those days you can't return it.

5. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Your 14 days start when you get your phone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S via Tapatalk

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Buy what you need/want up front.

It is just plain wrong to expect a company to take your product back and have to spend the money on a refurb process.

Just plain wrong.

7. Charadis, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012

Charadis macrumors 6502a

I agree wholeheartedly with this, but there's not a lot that can be done; there will be people who intend to do this, or go through 7 phones to find a "perfect" one, etc.

To the OP, the only other advice that I can think of to pitch in is to be wary of the availability of the new iPhone in the first month or so. If you return your phone within the 14 days (or up to 30 days, depending where you preorder/purchase), make sure they have the phone in stock. The 64gb version will probably be not as popular as the lesser model, but I'm sure this could probably be the hottest iPhone launch ever.

-C

8. iParis, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012

iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Geeze, I wouldn't be going through that many. I already know the perfect one, I just currently I only have the money for the 32GB though. The whole chance of them maybe not having it is why I want to at least get on and then maybe take it back. Yeah, I'll definitely make sure they have it before even mentioning returning it. I'll probably even call first.