Rev. Jerry Falwell Dies at 73

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, May 15, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...rry-falwell,1,3173804.story?coll=chi-news-hed

2. vniow macrumors G4

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Heart challenges? First time I've heard of heart problems called challenges.

Prayers out to him, his family and the people that looked to him for guidance.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

And what about the people he tried his best to screw? I feel weird- like ok, too bad the guy died because he's a person, but the other side of me is insanely happy right now. I'm just being honest.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, that caught my eye, too.

actually, when lee posted the story, i was still reading the previous story that falwell collapsed and was taken to the hospital. the "challenge" quote was in the story then, so when it was said, falwell was apparently still alive. not that it makes *that* much of a difference...

6. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

he'll be welcomed to heaven by a choir of gay teletubbies.

:eek:

seriously, though...kind wishes to his family and friends. and yes, the "challenges" thing was an attention-grabber for me as well.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while i can't say i liked the man, he was a human being. so i do hope he rests in peace at least.

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

The only question I have is:

Who snagged his Ruby Loafers?;)

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals.
    I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.' (referring to 9/11)
    I hope to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we don't have public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them.
    If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being.
    The ACLU is to Christians what the American Nazi party is to Jews.

This man was no human being. Humanity was not in his vocabulary. The f**ker deserves no respect and if there is a hell, may he spend the rest of eternity there.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

he is entitled to his beliefs, its a shame that he sought to do so much harm against others, but does that mean i hate the man? no. does that mean he deserves whatever eternal anguish he might believe in? i would know since i don't share his religious beliefs. i agree that he spewed hate and wasn't a great person. but does that mean that we should continue to hate him once hes passed away? hating him and condemning him, even after his death makes us no better than him.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No- but to say we're sad he's gone would also be disingenuous and a lie. I guess I feel relief more than anything. One less nasty human being in the world.

And yes, we should continue to condemn his ideas- absolutely.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and i wouldn't ask that. i'm not sad that hes gone. but i merely wished him peace in afterlife.

edit: nasty as he was, and gone as he may be, doesn't mean we should continue hate

edit: condemn his ideas all you want. and i'll agree. condemn him and i won't.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I think PoD takes the higher ground. The only way he impacted my life, when I either saw him in sound bites or briefly listened to him, was to incite me to watch my weight. If he met his Maker, the Maker will take it, from there.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Point taken. However, had you lived through the 80's with this man spewing his bile, while you watched your friends drop like flies, you might have a different view. Just look at his quote that yg17 posted. This man wasn't a good person, not by any means.

16. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Somehow the world feels like a slightly better place. It feels good.

17. vniow macrumors G4

Where do you draw the line with that line of thinking? Are mass murderers entitles to their beliefs? It it really only a shame they they do such horrendous acts? Jerry Falwell wasn't a mass murderer but he did have a lot of political power and used it to hurt a lot of people. Are you really saying we shouldn't condemn that? You can't really separate the man from his actions. His actions are what made him who he is and I have zero respect and zero sympathy for him. The world is a better place without him in it.

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

certainly didnt go with the same fervor of his hate speech.

sigh.

karma, she is a bia bia.;)

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My momma taught me if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all... so I'm just gonna :D

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Momma also didn't teach you that some people deserve the not nice things you want to say :D

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The Reverend is in enough hot water (flames?) already today. He doesn't need me piling on.

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Its like finally passing gas after years of bloated cramps.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

BIH
    I can't physically confront a 70 yo devil, hopefully he knows better after life.

24. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP