Revenge Gifting for Christmas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

This article that talks about a new trend. Democrats are giving revenge gifts of donations to liberal causes in the names of family members that voted for Trump. They are then giving regular Christmas gifts to family members who didn't vote for Trump.

In my opinion, it sounds somewhat childish and I think it could cause long term family issues.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I just donate to the Human Fund for all my relatives. Its money for people.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't see the problem. it's a "gift" either way.

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

That's a great idea for a gift. I just think it's childish for people that are only doing it for the family members who didn't vote the way they did.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2016 ---
    Read the article. These people are doing it because they think it will be hurtful to the family member.

5. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

We have more important things to worry about. Let the snowflakes do what they do as long as it's their money.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Well they are idiots

7. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Donations are being made. No harm in having a little fun doing it.

8. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

But they are specifically doing it because they thought it would hurt the family member.

9. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

My brother n law gave me a Hillary book a few years ago. This year, he gets The Art of the Deal. Fun family jabs.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Perhaps that is the intention behind such actions?

My understanding is that this election seems to have been unusually divisive.

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

If you're close to your family -- such that you know they'll take it as a joke -- I don't think it's a big deal.

From the folks in the article --

1) John Tereska: He is "so mad" at relatives who voted Trump. "'My father wrote in John McCain on his ballot, so I take that as a vote for Trump. My mother will not talk about it, so I assume she voted for Trump. They are getting donations to Planned Parenthood,' Tereska said."

2) Ken Urban: "Rues" agreeing to going to a Christmas family gathering for the first time in 20 years that was decided pre-election. Is trying to make a point and donate at the same time.

3) Randi Greenwald: Son's BIL is a Canadian fanboy of Trump. He has been "taunting" the Democratic family.

4) Francie Schnipke: Has a brother who is a vocal Trump fan. Family consists of Mexican mother, and special needs family member. Wants to "give him pause."

Revenge donating because a person didn't vote like you is something I'm not comfortable with. Donating is great, but I feel that donating, in this case, is done to help their own cause. Would these folks donate if the NPOs didn't send out a card to whoever donated?

I admit, I do have a particularly narrow frame of mind when it comes to donating and I'm very particular about it. That all being said, it's their money and their life, so ultimately it's their choices.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Feel free. It's the liberals money going to a liberal cause but in the end is still a cause and no craps would be given.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

That's not exactly a new thing with a lot of family's at Christmas what what I have heard.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You bet. Gary was my clown but it's my fault Hillary lost

16. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Hell yeah especially coming from California. Just think of what that one extra vote added to the popular could do man......

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Blah. That is silly. Here's thekev's guide to passive aggressive xmas behavior.

1. Go to the store.

2. If you're a conservative picking out a gift for a liberal friend or family member, pick up 1 pound of assorted mixed nuts. If you are in fact the liberal one, pick up one package of jerky.

3. Wrap the chosen item

4. Enclose a nice card with the line, "You are what you eat."

5. Present to friend or family member.

18. Scepticalscribe, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To be quite candid, I just don't get the notion of 'revenge gifting' at all. Seriously, it strikes me as being such a complete waste of time, and energy (and for those who value such things, a waste of money, as well).

Gifts are for those you like, love, respect. Those who do not fall into any of the aforementioned categories do not receive gifts from me.

Nevertheless, I will concede that it would be highly unlikely to find a supporter of Mr Trump among those I class as my friends, or among those into whose family I was born.

19. Gutwrench, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

It's happened three times in my life (which I appreciate very much), but I'm not entirely comfortable that a donation could be made in my name without my consent.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2016 ---
    :)

My father was a horror of a human being. When he sobered up he was merely a sober horror. Every Christmas I had to resist the temptation of sending him a bottle of Southern Comfort or Black Velvet.

20. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

If you donate to a tax deductible non-profit in someone else's name, do they get the tax deduction?

21. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Agree the election has been very decisive :(.

There are easier ways of telling family you don't want to talk with them again :).

22. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

No, the person who actually donated the money gets the deduction, no matter whose name it was in.

23. jerwin macrumors 65816

It has a certain understated stupidity.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't either, but I do like injecting stupid jokes, and giving the gift of fake mustaches.

It's difficult for me to imagine that. He must have been pretty bad if that was a real temptation.

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That must have been pretty grim.

In common with @thekev, I cannot imagine such a situation - feeling such loathing for someone that, ideally, you should be able to love.

I daresay the temptation must have been to excise him completely from your life once you reached adolescence.

Nah.

I'm serious about gifts, both the giving and the receiving.

"Stupid jokes" annoy me, rather than make me laugh.