revert back to 10.5.1 or revert back to no 10.5.2 state

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neilspartacus, Feb 13, 2008.

1. neilspartacus macrumors member

Hi all, I was wondering if there is any option to revert back to last working condition if updating to 10.5.2 should screw up any of my working application or system on the whole.
    Some think like system restore for WinPC.
    I want to be able to revert back to my previous state if I should not like 10.5.2 update.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Do a full time machine backup before you upgrade.

4. neilspartacus thread starter macrumors member

oops i dont use timeMachine

I still got to buy an external hard drive for my mac. So not using time machine yet. The one i have is configured for windows file system and have more than 300GB of data so not possible to use it for mac...
    any other option?

5. jakeopolis macrumors member

there are options besides time machine but they all require you to have a PLACE for you to backup... so if you can't clear enough space on your external hard drive, do you have another computer with enough free space? if so, you can create a carbon copy image of your drive, copy it to the spare computer, and then if you need to revert back you can erase your drive and copy the carbon image back.

honestly though, the best solution is time machine. i had mega problems with 10.5.2, i reverted back to a time machine backup i made just before the update and voila, all is good again.

6. JonDann macrumors member

JonDann

You can do an archive and install from booting from the Mac OSX CD

Just put it in and turn of the computer. Turn it on and press C when you hear the ding (takes a while to boot from a CD).

Then start the re-install process but when you select the hard drive, click customise and select archive and install.

You won't lose your stuff but you should back up just in case.

After reinstall just download the 10.5.1 combo update from apple and don't reinstall 10.5.2 when you run Software Update to get all the other updates.

Your older system will be in a folder called Previous Systems

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are you backing your Mac up at all?