Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeathBecomesMe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
So I restored a time machine backup of Mojave public beta 2 from Catalina. Now when I try to update to Mojave public beta 3, it fails every time. In recovery, there's still a Catalina system drive listed, so it seems like the pb3 is trying to install there. Any ideas how to fix this?

ahodes

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Assuming you have a time machine backup of all volumes, it might be cleanest to use Disk Utility to repartition/erase the disk with 1 volume and restore. You could also try deleting the Catailna system volume and seeing what happens... but I'd be prepared to restore again if that goes poorly.

DeathBecomesMe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Assuming you have a time machine backup of all volumes, it might be cleanest to use Disk Utility to repartition/erase the disk with 1 volume and restore. You could also try deleting the Catailna system volume and seeing what happens... but I'd be prepared to restore again if that goes poorly.
Yeah it's a cluster. I can't delete I'm in the Catalina system volume in recovery. Last night I left the beta program and reinstalled Mojave from the App Store. That worked fine, but I couldn't load my iCloud photo library because it was created with the newer beta version. Arrrgh! I restored again and left beta. I'm probably going to have to just wait until Mojave final comes out and update to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.