Reverting to iOS 4.x after upgrade to 5.x

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TitanTiger, Jul 24, 2012.

1. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 3GS. It runs well on iOS 4.2.x. I get prompted in iTunes to upgrade to 5.1, but I've been reluctant to do so, afraid it will make the phone sluggish and slow.

The phone is not jailbroken and I don't want it to be. But I was wondering if it is possible if I upgraded to 5.1 and hated the performance of the phone, how hard is it to downgrade back to 4.x? Is it even possible? If so, how would I go about doing that?

2. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

Did I ask a bad question? Almost 400 views and no one knows?

3. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

it's a decent process to revert back. not for nothing, but tons of people have iOS 5 on the 3gs and don't have any problems. but there are ways, none that i'm familiar with though :(

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like you didnt save shsh blobs for your iphone for previous ios versions.
    If you dont know what they are you didnt:)
    But for some odd reason Apple still signs 4.1 for the 3GS so all you have to do is download the official 4.1 ipsw and shift or option restore with itunes to restore to that.
    That's your only option, either 4.1 or the latest firmware that's out now 5.1.1

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you never saved your SHSH blobs, not possible.

6. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

So I wouldn't be able to save the SHSH blobs now on 4.2.x?

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yes, you can with Tiny Umbrella.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you are on 4.2.1 now for example you can use redsnow or ifaith to pull your current shsh blobs from your iphone now.
    Then by saving them you will have the option to create a firmware with those shsh blobs to be able to restore with in the future only for that particular iphone and for that particular ios built.
    Its a little complicated and not for the faint of heart when it comes to hacking/jailbreaking.

Not.
    TU cannot save shsh blobs that apple is not currently releasing.
    Only redsnow and ifaith can pull those blobs from his device that its running 4.2.x right now.

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

Weird. I did it when I had my 4th gen iPod touch.

10. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I tried Tiny Umbrella and it says it saved the SHSH blobs. I was actually on 4.3.2. It says it's saved.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If u say so.
    What version blobs does it list there for that device?

12. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

The ones it said it saved and Cydia has are 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like cydia was saving them for you automaticly when those blobs where available back then.

14. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

I use my iPhone 3GS daily, and honestly I was worried about upgrading to iOS 5 too.
    From personal experience, iOS 5 is sluggish and can be a real pain, but after using all 3 betas of iOS 6, it's just like it was on iOS 4.x but with all the benefits of the updates software!
    My advice would be to wait until iOS 6 is officially released to the public, and then upgrade.

15. RjFnC macrumors newbie

I just reverted my iOS device today from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 4.3.3. Without having saved any SHSH blobs. So it is possible. Just hard to find the right information.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is IMPOSSIBLE.
    You cannot downgrade to 4.3.3 without blobs period.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Can't be done. SHSH blobs are required for any and all iPads.

18. RjFnC macrumors newbie

Any one willing to try what I did today? Just a little time is all I need.

19. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I have 5.1 on my iPhone 4 and its amazingly slow. I never owned a 3GS, but based on my experience with a 4 I wouldn't even consider doing what you're doing.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What you did or claim that you did cannot be done.
    You're confused or not educated enough on the subject or had saved previous blobs on cydias server before.
    No other way around it.

21. RjFnC macrumors newbie

Steps that I used to downgrade my iOS device without saved SHSH Blobs

This is to Restore an iPad 1st Gen from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 4.3.3
    First you will need to download four items.

Step 1
    1) sn0wbreeze-v2.7.3 (I know that the newest version will work but this is the version I used when doing this.)
    2) iPad1,1_4.3.3_8J3_Restore (or what ever device you are trying to restore)
    3) iTunes (The current version will work)
    4) Tiny Umbrella (To save SHSH Blobs once you are done downgrading)

Step 2
    Make sure you add this line to your hosts file
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Step 3
    Run the Sn0wBreeze.exe. Hit Ok and then Close Credits button. and then hit the next button.

Step 4
    Either drag & drop the iOS 4.3.3 firmware file in the given box or hit the Browse button and select the iOS 4.3.3 IPSW file for your iDevice.
    Sn0wBreeze will identify the IPSW firmware file. When done, hit the next button.

Step 5
    Select the Expert Mode, Hit next button, then select General and hit Next.

Step 6
    Now select the Build IPSW option and hit next.
    Sn0wBreeze will start building custom firmware to jailbreak your iDevice. Since the building process takes several minutes to complete, you can either choose to play PacMan or stick with the Spinner.

Once Done! Hit the OK button. (Custom firmware can be found on desktop)

Step 7
    Now follow the Sn0wbreeze instructions to put your iDevices into Pwned State. Sn0wBreeze instructions are important to follow because this will put iDevice into Pwned DFU state NOT the simple DFU mode.
    Hold Power + Home buttons for 10 seconds
    Now release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for 10-30 more seconds
    Your device should now be in DFU mode

Sn0wBreeze will prompt you once you’re into Pwned DFU state.

Step 8
    Now open iTunes, Hold down the Shift/Option key and hit the Restore button.
    Browse and select the custom firmware that we just created, from the desktop.

iTunes will start restoring iOS 4.3.3 on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/Apple TV 2G. Once done, your iPhone, ipad or iPod Touch will be running iOS 4.3.3 jailbroken untethered.

Step 9
    Once your iDevice comes back up you will notice that it is a jailbroken 4.3.3
    Open Tiny Umbrella go ahead and save your SHSH Blobs(For future downgrades if needed.)

Step 10
    After you have saved your SHSH Blobs you will now restore your iDevice again. This time using the IPSW 4.3.3 that you downloaded at the beginning. Your will now restore to an unjailbroken iOS 4.3.3

I can provide links if needed

22. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

See this step here?

This points iTunes to Cydia. This means your SHSH blobs were on file there and already existed. Your instructions will not work for other people unless their SHSH blobs are on file with Cydia as well. Like Applejuiced said, it cannot be done without signed SHSH blobs. You just happened to get yours from Cydia's on file ones.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly what Intell said above.
    OP cydia has your shsh blobs and thus allowed you to restore to older firmware.
    Why dont you run tinyumbrella,plug in your ipad and click save available shsh's from cydias server. You will see them listed there when pulled from cydia.
    Without them there you could have never restored to 4.3.3

24. RjFnC macrumors newbie

I have done this on two different iPad's that have never been jailbroken. Also my iPad came with iOS 5.0 on it. Did either one of you even try doing this before posting?

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iPads don't need to be jailbroken to have their SHSH blobs on file with Cydia. Applejuiced and myself don't need to try this because we know exactly what happens. Step 2 is crucial, because that's where the SHSH blobs come from.