Review: Imos Curved Edge to Edge Gorilla Glass Screen Protector (2nd Gen)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kgenova, Sep 30, 2015.

1. kgenova macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Curved edge to edge tempered glass screen protectors are a popular product because they protect the entire screen of your iPhone and, if done well, they look as if there is no screen protector on the phone at all. The Imos Solid EX 3D is an excellent screen protector, and not only is it edge to edge, it is also made of Corning Gorilla Glass and features true curved glass edges. Many less advanced screen protectors have created curved edges for their edge to edge screen protectors by fusing another, more easily curved, material—typically plastic or metal—to the edges of the tempered glass. There are few companies that are making true curved tempered glass screen protectors, and Imos is one of them (the other well known company is Cupert Technology, with their Cinder screen protector). This is the second version of their Solid EX 3D screen protector for the iPhone 6/6s Plus that I have reviewed—the first was very nice, but considerably thicker, at .55 mm. This one is .4 mm and much more svelte.

Installation was fairly easy—Imos comes very nicely packaged with detailed instructions, and once you have properly cleaned your phone and aligned the screen protector, installation is quite easy. I ended up with a few stubborn bubbles, but they were gone in about 30 minutes after some gentle rubbing. Imos has definitely improved their adhesive—the previous version was much more difficult to get all the bubbles out of.

Once installed, I was very impressed. It seems thinner than its supposed .4 mm of thickness and it feels marvelous on the phone. 3D Touch works flawlessly, the oleophobic coating is a joy and the optical clarity is outstanding. Case compatibility is also better than I thought it would be. Cases which worked: Thule Atmos X3, Magpul Field Case, Doc Artisan Wallet, Verus Damda Slide, Adopted Leather Folio and Griffin Survivor Core. Cases which didn’t were the Spigen Tough Armor and the Speck CandyShell Grip. At .4 mm the Imos is not as thin as the Cinder screen protector, but it has good case compatibility and it looks fantastic on your iPhone. Plus, being thicker, it may provide greater protection to your iPhone in the event of a drop. For more information about Imos, check out their website at: http://www.imos.biz/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Kristin

2. MCube74 macrumors 6502a

Nice screen protector. I am using the same for my iPhone 6s Plus Space Grey 128gb

3. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

Looks very nice.

I have the original IMOS for my 6 Plus, but I dont plan on buying this one. It's just too thick and pricey. I'm waiting for the cinder on amazon to be available.

4. slub macrumors newbie

It looks amazing!
    Do you know if the iPhone 6S version will fit on the iPhone 6? I'd like a thinner, easier install but I'd probably still be content with the original if the price goes down. Anything to avoid giving my money to Cupert at this stage.

5. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

I believe the Imos is labeled for iPhone 6/6s and for iPhone 6/6s Plus, so you should be fine.

Imos is very expensive, but it does look great and feel great when installed.

6. pchan0 macrumors regular

pchan0

I have the same feeling as you when I installed mine that it feels like thinner than advertised 0.4mm! Good job with the review.

7. paulwooan macrumors member

paulwooan

How long did it take you to get your order from imos.biz?

8. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Thanks!

9. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Well, they sent it to me directly as a review sample, so I don't think I'm a very good example, but it was very fast--four days or so.

10. paulwooan, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

paulwooan macrumors member

paulwooan

4 Days for an international shipment?

That's so fast! And what do you mean sent by them directly? If i were to order from the IMOS site would it no directly be sent from them as well?

EDIT: Or did you order from goprotect.net?

11. Biggs91276 macrumors regular

Biggs91276

Hey kgenova will the iloome you have for the 6 plus work with the 6s plus? Any reviews?

12. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

@kgenova , you've reviewed them all, so how about a head-to-head comparison:

Cupert's Cinder vs. Godosmith's Ice Max 3D vs. IMOS Solid EX 2.0

How about it?

13. trevorplease macrumors regular

Where can I find the ice max 3d review by kgenova?

14. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

Oh, I thought she had. Checked her website and I guess I was mistaken. She SHOULD though. ;-)

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

Got Imos 2nd gen coming from Canada. Also waiting on my Cinder (those bastards) and the Benks 3d coming from China. Not sure which I will actually install but the others will be sold here.

16. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

It was shockingly fast-- I think I just got lucky, for some reason.
    It was sent from Imos corporate--it was a free sample for review purposes, which may or may not be the same part of the company that handles their web order fulfillment.
    I agree! I've contacted the Ice Max folks about reviewing their product, but I haven't heard back. I'm very intrigued by the Ice Max...

17. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Not sure about the iLoome models with the 6s Plus--I've only ever tried them on the 6 Plus...

18. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Imos coming from Canada--interesting! Hope it works out well...

19. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

I did a head to head with the Cinder and the first gen Imos in May or so: I judged Cinder to be the overall winner due to thinness and better curved edge profile in that contest. The new Imos is much thinner, though, so I think it provides better competition for the Cinder now. Unfortunately, in order to do a true head to head, you have to have both products at the same time and compare them on two different phones, which is what I did with the previous Imos/Cinder head to head, and I don't have those two products right now to compare. In fact, I already had to take the Imos off my phone because I have to review the new integrated screen protector for the Thule Atmos X4...

20. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

Did you see the **** hitting the fan with Cinder? Allegedly, someone contacted Corning directly to ask about Gorilla Glass in Cupert's products and Corning flat out denied it. This will get interesting.

21. STC macrumors 6502a

22. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Yep!

23. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    Can you take this product off and readjust if need be, without the glass breaking?
    Thanks, Jerry

24. kgenova thread starter macrumors 6502a

kgenova

The glass is certainly not going to break if you peel it back gently. If you were super rough with it, maybe, but generally, no. The issue is not so much the glass, but the adhesive. Pulling back a corner to remove a bit of dust and lay it back down...no problem. Taking it off entirely and putting it back on, I'm not so sure about. I've never tried it, though...

25. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

Do you know if this is compatible with RhinoShield?