[REVIEW] NuForce NE-700X In-Ear Monitor's (IEM's) and Comply T-400 Foam Tips

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SR71, Jun 20, 2011.

1. SR71, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

SR71 macrumors 68000

Before I start this review I just want to say that this is in no way a professional review, but rather a review from an average person's point of view (I'm only 15 haha).

Note: IEM = In-Ear Monitor's

Anyways, let's get started! So, on Thursday last week I ordered the NuForce NE-700X IEM's and the Comply T-400 Foam Tips to go along with the 700X's. I received them today and have been using them for the last few hours. I am going to do a review of both of them together, and then separate reviews for each, so this will be a 4 part review.

NuForce NE-700X IEM's:

The NuForce NE-700X IEM's came in nice packaging that was easy to open and required no tools to open. In the packaging was the following:
    • The NuForce NE-700X IEM's
    • Soft carrying case
    • Extra tips for the 700X's (Small, Medium, Large, and Triple-Flange Tips)
    • Warranty and Product Information
    So, as you can see from the list of what came with the 700X's, they came with everything you'd expect, nothing special.

Sound: The sound is nothing short of excellence. The sound from these IEM's is clear, crisp, and not to mention, loud! They also have plenty of bass, not to much or to little, but just the right amount. Although the headphones have a lot of bass, the bass is deep and impactful, but it is not muddy or over-the-top as it is in other IEM's, although I did notice that the amount of bass you hear is dependent on the seal, so if you do not have a good seal, you will not hear a lot of bass (this happened to me at first and I first thought the headphones were defective, but they weren't - I'll talk about this more in the comfort section of the review). Another thing I must mention, though, is that on some songs I've played, when the volume is at very high or near maximum, sound quality can become slightly distorted, although this is probably caused by the quality of some of my music as this only happens when I play some songs, but not others. It's nothing to be worried about, but again, I felt it should be mentioned.

Comfort (with stock tips): When I first received the IEM's and wore them for about a half hour, they seemed to be comfortable, but I started to notice that the IEM's poked into my ear's and after listening to music for extended periods of time (45+ minutes) it woulds start to become very uncomfortable, but this is remedied with the Comply T-400 Foam Tips (more on that in a bit). So, the stock tips are comfortable, but they are a bit short which allows the actual IEM to push into your ear and for some this can be uncomfortable after listening to music for extended periods of time. After using the stock single-flange tips, I then tried the triple-flange tips and found that they were not comfortable, but at the same time were not uncomfortable, but in addition to this, they also did not create a seal at all for me; they were just too small, and I have medium sized ears so these tips may work for some but not others.

Comfort (with Comply T-400 Foam Tips): After using the stock tips, I wanted to try out the Comply T-400 Foam Tips to see how they compared to the stock tips, and after using the IEM's with these tips, I can now give some info on them. Well, for starters, they are longer than the stock tips which stops the IEM's from pushing into your ears and causing discomfort. Secondly, they create a much better seal and are much more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time when compared to the stock tips. Lastly, the Comply T-400 Foam Tips seem to make the sound seem more refined and the bass seems to sound better with these tips. Now there are some downsides to the Comply T-400 Foam Tips, although they are very minor. When I first put them in, it was a bit hard for me to get a good seal until the tips conformed to my ears and at first I didn't think they worked, but now that I've given them more time to conform to my ears, they're great! Other than that minor downside, the Comply T-400 Foam Tips are much, much better in comparison to the stock tips, in my opinion.

Now, where can you buy the IEM's and the Comply T-400 Foam Tips from? Just click on the links below and you'll be directed to the purchase pages for each item.

The NuForce NE-700X IEM's can be bought here: CLICK HERE.

The Comply T-400 Foam Tips can be bought here: CLICK HERE.

Thanks for reading this quick review and if you'd like more information added, I'd be happy to add it in. If I missed something, don't hesitate to post about it. I'll try to take a few pictures with my iPhone later today and see if I can get them up tonight.

Thanks again for reading and I hope you guys liked the review... it was my first one! :)

2. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Great review. Let them burn in 100 hours, and then you will really appreciate them.

3. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the feedback, man! It was my first one and I am glad I didn't mess it up to much, but as always there is room for improvement so if you have any criticism for this review, I'd like to hear it. :)

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

great review but I agree IEM's need at least 40 hours burn in as Austin mentioned. some people even say a couple hundred hours. That's a invite update your review latter after some enjoyable break in time.

5. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'll update the thread on Friday, then. :)

That should be more than enough time to burn them in.

6. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

So here's a small update on these IEM:

Alright, well I'm still burning in the IEM's (I have been busy with finals so I haven't been able to listen to them to much), but there is one thing that I have noticed that at first I thought was something minor, but has now become a huge annoyance to me. The cable. When you first get it it has cable memory which means that when it's all bent and folded onto itself to fit in the packaging, it retains all of those dents in the cable until you stretch out the cable somehow to make it straight and this can become a nuisance for the reasons listed below.

This is very annoying because when you're listening to these IEM's, the cable constantly rubs up against your cheek/body and it can be very annoying and uncomfortable, not to mention it also causes them to tangle a lot easier.

Just wanted to put that out there for anyone who is interested in these IEM's. If I notice anything else I'll be sure to post an update.