Review of 30" LCD HP LP 3065 on MacPro using 7300gt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smitha96, Sep 4, 2007.

1. smitha96 macrumors regular

Hi all,
    My HP LP3065 came via USPS today and I love it. I don't have a lot of details, but I'll try to answer questions if anyone has them. I do have a few comments:

1. I'm only using the 7300gt as the graphics card. Running the iTunes visualizer at 2560x1600 gives 21-30 frames/sec. Just incase someone was killing to know that.

2. Ordered from PCMall. Absolutely no complaints. I wasn't expecting it until Thursday, but I came today (Tuesday).

3. I can't believe I didn't get one earlier. I upgraded from a 1050x1680 resolution and was considering a 1920x1200 monitor, but I'm glad I bypassed that and went for a 30". Definitely worth it I think.

4. Worked right out of the box. No install necessary. Works fine on my XP partition too. Oh, but I did have to switch it to the right DVI port on my mac pro to get the full resolution. That's the DVI port on the right if you are looking at your Mac from the back.

Sorry not more technical info. I'll try to answer any questions.

-Alex

2. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Does it give off a lot of heat?

Or are you in an air con room or cool climate.

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

4. Tracer macrumors 6502

How about some Pics?

Otherwise, congrats on the Purchase.

Looks to be an excellent monitor, at a great price.

Tracer

5. smitha96 thread starter macrumors regular

It gives off very little heat. I've only had it on for 15 minutes now, but I really can't feel any heat off the back... It certainly gives off much less than my 32" HDTV.

6. smitha96 thread starter macrumors regular

Any suggestions?

7. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

8. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Amazing Monitor

I just purchasesd a HP LP3065. I use it next to a new ACD 23" and also have an Apple 30"

This HP is an AMAZING value, with an unbelievable color gamut.

It settles down with color calibration nicely for print work.

It lives up to its great reviews on Anandtech, etc and is worth every penny.

Probably the best value 30" wide gamut display out there for the money.

Has 3 DVI in ports all switchable via a great little button on front.

Buy it.

9. pprior macrumors 65816

Are you saying it's just as good as the apple 30" or good enough to buy because it's cheaper?

I really want to buy a 30" display as I'm using 2 x 21" right now, but I don't want to buy the apple because it's been forever since it's been updated.

10. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

That is a close call, but this HP 30" wins for sure: it is better, and slightly cheaper. First off, you should not hesitate to buy an Apple -- the Panel in the HP is the exact same LG Phillips panel that is in the Apple. Both use the LG Phillps S-IPS panel, the same panel currently used in the top end Eizo and NEC's.

The HP does have a better color gamut thanks to its circuitry and LUT via the Video Card driver.

The HP also has a Better Contrast Ratio. It has also a Beautifully Adjustable stand (height, vertical angle, and rotation), where the Apple only has vertical angle.

The Apple's Color Gamut is tuned for Print and Photo Reproduction work. As a result it's color gamut is less vibrant but this is GOOD for these specialties.

The HP has a significantly broader color gamut. If you do Print or Photo Reproduction work, you should plan on spending $200 to #300 for a decent calibrator -- Calibrate this monitor for Print work and build a profile. You can then switch between the tremendously beautiful screen colors for web, DVD, and day to day use, and the print calibration, which will be less bright and vibrant.

Image quality wise -- in terms of sharpness of text, both panels are equal.

The Apple design is nicer, more sophisticated, etc, for sure.

But here is the winning proposition for the HP -- 3 HDCP Compliant, DVI inputs that are switchable via an "input" button on the front of the screen. This means you can hook a laptop, desktop and "other" (say windows) box into the monitor and switch between them with the flip of a switch. This feature alone saves the need for a KVM DVI Switch! A costly add-on.

This HP 30" beats every Dell 30" I have seen in terms of color accuracy and consistency -- of course this is subjective, but there are reviews out there stating this as well.

Here are two very detailed reviews of this monitor:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2950

http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review4639.html

http://media.digitaltrends.com/digitaltrends/hp_lp3065_30-inch_lcd_monitor.html

Don't worry about the "lack of onscreen display controls" -- they are really useless anyway -- get a calibrator and calibrate your display at the Operating System level -- this is the professional way to do it.

Conclusion:
    This Panel beats the ACD 30 -- but not because the ACD is "old" or "Outdated" technology. This is a common MYTH regarding current ACD's -- they are still state of the art.

This Panel Beats the ACD because:
    1) Color Gamut is Better and can be controlled for Print Work via calibration.
    2) The Three HDCP DVI inputs are a blessing!
    3) The Adjustable Stand is fantastic
    4) The three year warranty is excellent
    5) The image quality is consistent and simply astonishing.
    6) It is cheaper. With Shipping, I paid $1389 from www.pcrush.com. The lowest price on the Apple 30 is $1499 from their Refurb Store (would not hesitate to buy an Apple Refurb) -- education price is about $1600. Shipping is Free from Apple, but you will pay sales tax.

Once you go 30" you never go back. I have an ACD 30, an ACD 23, a Dell 24, this HP LP3065 30", and an HP W2207. This HP is best of the bunch, follow by the ACD 23 and ACD 30. I run the ACD 23 next to this 30" HP. The 23" ACD is calibrated for my print work, but the HP 30 is a feast for my eyes.

Buy this panel. Worth EVERY Penny.

Dante

11. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Does anybody have a calibration profile for this monitor?

I was just wondering if anybody has calibrated this monitor and would be willing to share their profile? Thanks!

12. mastersoft macrumors member

PLSSSSS

13. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I don't understand this response. If it's arrogance, keep it to yourself. I was politely asking for a color profile from one of the users who had calibrated their screen with dedicated software. If I had the money to buy it, I'd be more than happy to post it here, and I don't think it's asking much.

14. mastersoft macrumors member

im sorry if u didnt understand the IDEEA.....i want to say :" PLSSSS SOMEBODY share 1 color profile here " ... i hope u understand now
    :apple:

REGARDS

15. macbook123 macrumors 68000

OK, thanks! I agree, please somebody post the profile (I already wrote the posters above directly put they don't seem to be checking their macrumors Inbox...)!

16. mastersoft macrumors member

HP LP3065 is a BAD MONITOR

in 3 month i change 2 monitors...first monitor have IDENTICAL problems with actual . I think is
    factory PROBLEM. Actual monitor died after 2 days of normal use.

they are manufactured in july, octomber 2008

DO NOT BUY HP LP3065 ....

17. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'm sorry to hear that. Mine is by far the best monitor I've ever seen and used. I had the new Apple 24 inch LED for a few days just to see if it could beat the HP, but it stands no chance (mostly because of the ridiculously fat pixels pitch on 24 inch monitors).

Good luck with your future monitors!

18. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I've been looking at the Dell 3008WFP just because of the different inputs. Seems I can hookup my xbox360 and ps3 to it.

19. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I am in the market for a 30" display as well. The HP is cheaper, but my current experience with my HP LP2475 reassures me that I won't be trying another HP monitor. The right part of the screen has a slight reddish tint, and the left part of the screen has a greenish tint to it. So the screen doesn't really display true colors even after I use my Spyder 3 Pro. I am looking at the ACD because there are literally no complaints with it that I have read. Whereas with the HP 2475, it is a hit or miss monitor depending on which batch date of the monitor.

20. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Actually oddly Eizo Swares by S-PVA screens in their high end stuff as long as one is available in that screen size. I am not sure why but it may be the better support for 10 bit and above color support because of having 6 sub pixels per pixel instead of 3.

I wouldn't take your experience with the lp2475 when picking out the 30 inch HP. It seems like LG's quality control has really slipped when they made the transition to H-IPS from S-IPS and I am pretty sure the HP 30 inch is S-IPS. There are plenty of defective Apple LED cinema displays, they use the same exact lcd panel. The LG screens seem to suffer from more stuck pixels than Samsung and other companies, something that IPS is more susceptible to than VA technologies. I'd buy from a company that has a lenient exchange policy, dell being the most lenient as you never really know what your gonna get with LG panels.