Review of Lightning to USB cable purchased from ebay - $4.90 shipped

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rrandyy, Dec 3, 2012.

1. rrandyy, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

rrandyy macrumors 6502

Summary
    I recently purchased two lightning to USB cables from ebay. I recommend the cable, as it works perfectly. A detailed review is below.

Link: Item on eBay
    Cost: $4.90 per cable, including shipping
    Timing: Purchased 11/25/12; Actual delivery 12/3/12 (to San Francisco, CA); Estimated delivery 12/11/12 - 12/28/12
    Functionality: I was able to charge (using a wall adapter) and backup data (using a macbook) with the cable.
    Impressions: The lightning end of the eBay cable is larger than Apple's cable. The eBay cable is also a few inches shorter (see image below). The connections on the original Apple cable are cleaner than the eBay cable. As expected, the overall quality of the original Apple cable is better than the eBay cable. The stiffness of the two cables is very similar. I see no reason to pay a premium for the original Apple cable.

Attached Files:

2. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I got the 2 I ordered in from Zagers also...$9 shipped. The plastic base is a bit longer than the official cables, and the gold pins on the Lightning side arent as solid, thats how I can tell them apart. But they work perfectly.

3. Seed me macrumors newbie

Good to hear, I bought 6 last week. Do both sides of the 8 pin lightning work?

4. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Both sides worked for charging. I did not try both sides for data.

5. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

lol, that you thought you had to tell us which was the official one from apple. that bootleg one looks like it was soldered together by a drunken monkey. I'd worry about plugging that thing in unattended. wow.

6. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Same thing I was thinking ...

7. bandityo macrumors member

I bought two of the boxwave ones and they work perfectly also. However, Im concerned maybe the life will be shorter as the gold plating contacts may wear easier than original....but I can sure go thru a lot of these for the price of OEM lol

8. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL. At least give me credit for providing more than enough information. ;)

However, don't conflate aesthetics with functionality. As far as I can tell, the cables are completely functional. I will report back if I have problems with them.

9. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

I've heard others report that some of the cheaper cables fit much tighter into the iPhone and may cause the port the loosen up a bit over time. How well do these cables fit?

10. S.L. macrumors regular

S.L.

Getting 3 extra cables at ~$13 for OEM on release week has more than made up for the countless times my battery would have died if I had waited for knockoffs to slowly be developed. Paid a slight premium for convenience, but well worth having OEM at a discount since release week. :D

11. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

That is among the dangers of using such cheaply made junk cables on such an expensive device.

12. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

The eBay one is a little bit tighter fit, but not much. I don't think it will be a concern. Also, it doesn't look like it, but the girth of the thick white part of the eBay cable is very similar to that of the Apple cable (unrelated to the fit).

13. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

It looks like eBay took down the listing. I just received this notice from eBay:

14. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

Hey everyone, (wow its been awhile since I've posted...) I just got an email after ordering this cable, AND was verified it shipped earlier this morning.

Email from ebay:
    We'll see what happens if I actually do get the cable or not.

Cheers

----------

Ahhh rrrranddyyy, you beat me.

15. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I bought one from Zagerz.com and it was $4.48 shipped.

It works, kind of. When the phone moves from off to on, or occasionally when I plug it in, it says "this accessory is not compatible with charging" or something.

Piffed me off. But when I reconnect again, it always charges. This is not a huge deal, but if one day I plug it in, and I forget to check to see if I get the warning message, I might not have any juice.

Every. single. time I have bought some knockoff case or cable from a big asian country that shall not be named, I've been disappointed. everysingletime
    Yet I still go for the deal.

I was actually more piffed at apple b/c there is no need to copy protect all of their stuff to this degree. Still waiting for Android to grow up before I switch over to them.