Review of Waterfield sleeve for new Aluminum MacBook with pics...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eye.surgeon, Oct 24, 2008.

1. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I received my waterfield sleeve in the mail today (www.sfbags.com). I chose this one in part because they were the first as far as I know to make a bag specifically for the new aluminum MacBook which is a bit more than a tenth of an inch thinner than the whitebook.

It's a local (to me) San Francisco company with very personable service, ie. I got an email from the owner when I ordered the bag. Service was fast. The bag is attractive and very solidly constructed with some nice details like a strap at the bottom hold on to while pulling the notebook out.

It fits the aluminum MB like, well, a sleeve. I first bought the neoprene incase sleeve which is a one-size fits all for the old and new MB...it's fine but it's loose on the new machine. This one is a custom fit.

It's not cheap but for those willing to pay for thoughtful design and local manufacturing, it's a good choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Does it have any pockets for the powercord? Or a strap to carry as a bag? I carry really heavy textbooks in my backpack, so I want a seperate case with a shoulder strap. It looks really nice though. Good call for you I'd say.

3. eye.surgeon thread starter macrumors 6502

It comes with both as options. I carry it in a briefcase that I already own so I was looking for a sleeve only.

4. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

It looks pretty ugly to me but thanks for the info. Hope it helps some people make a decision on a sleeve.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

may not be the best looking sleeve. But they're durable, well-made and offer decent protection which is why I've been happy with my waterfield sleeves so far.

6. ZorroTheCat macrumors newbie

Cool sleeve! Even cooler notebook!!!! Congrats! Have you checked Simon & Cleo? They dont have any option with a lid - so your laptop will be exposed on one side, but its great for carrying in a briefcase or bag. http://www.simonandcleo.com

7. MonoSeed macrumors newbie

Sorry to bring back an old thread. I just received my waterfield sleeve today, and I am very happy with it! (I ordered it based on this thread). Quality is excellent and customer service was great. After placing my order, I received a personal email from the staff asking where I had heard of their product, and if there was anything they could do better. The invoice even came with a handwritten thank you note.

I definitely recommend them.

8. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

yes, the fit is nice, but it is missing handles. it is nice to have the option of carrying it like a briefcase so there is less potential movement, and it is a much more secure way of carrying it, especially if you're running with it (like in an airport concourse, trying to make a connecting flight). with handles, your entire fist is securing it, whereas you're left with shoulder strap or carrying it by the spine (again, can be jarred loose).

another downside to such a perfect fit that there is no other way to squeeze the lid and bottom part together and pull it out, instead of reaching in with your hand and lifting it out. This issue would've been greater with the non-unibody laptops, especially with repeated removals

if the $50 marware case has it, then a $80+ case ought to have it too.

Their hardcase looks amazing, but for $200+ you could spend that money and "upgrade" to a macbook air and you're getting close to the MBP line

but their customer service and attentiveness IS second to none.