Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's augmented reality developer framework, known as ARKit, launched within iOS 11 on September 19. The debut turned hundreds of millions of iPhones into advanced AR-capable devices in the span of a few days, leading to the first wave of ARKit apps on the iOS App Store.

pixie-hands-on-4.jpg

One of these apps is called "Pixie," which existed prior to ARKit with its own proprietary AR technology, but the company updated its main app and "Pixie Point" trackers with Apple's technology last month. I've been testing Pixie's new ARKit-enabled tracking devices for about a week, and so far the app's augmented reality solution to finding lost items has provided a fun and engaging experience for item rediscovery, when it works.

Unfortunately, my experience with Pixie was too often plagued by a low-quality app guidance system and inconsistent success in its main function, making the whole package feel like a beta product for a better iteration down the line.

pixie-hands-on-5.jpg

Like other Bluetooth trackers, you attach Pixie Points onto items you might lose frequently, or simply fear losing in the future. For Pixie's tracking technology to work reliably, one of the Points has to be attached to your iPhone via an included silicone-like case.

The Pixie Point sits embedded in the top right of the case's back, and this coupled with the slippery feel of the case made me more conscious of how I was holding my iPhone and how close it was to falling from my hand at times. You could also use the Point's adhesive backing to stick it directly to your iPhone, but for obvious reasons I preferred not do that.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Pixie's ARKit-Enabled Item Trackers Are Neat, But Still Feel Like They're in Beta

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Sounds like an interesting idea that could potentially be taken by Trackr or tile. Both of those systems have the added advantage of a wider user base, as well as crowd sourcing abilities to find lost items located by other subscribers.

If this brand can get some development figured out though, it is potentially a great solution. Only issue keeping me away is the need for an external sensor attached to my phone.

Reactions: Surfer13134

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Sounds like an interesting idea that could potentially be taken by Trackr or tile. Both of those systems have the added advantage of a wider user base, as well as crowd sourcing abilities to find lost items located by other subscribers.

If this brand can get some development figured out though, it is potentially a great solution. Only issue keeping me away is the need for an external sensor attached to my phone.
Exactly, I really like the idea of it but it's sorely lacking in execution. Needing one of the points attached to your iPhone is definitely a major downside. It just doesn't look attractive from a visual standpoint -- which I'd be willing to compromise on if the app worked better.

GrandmaOk

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
Had a friend try this out...He said the case was hard to hold. Also doesn't really offer much room for customization; what about my kate spade cases??

paulomagrani

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2016
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

If this brand can get some development figured out though, it is potentially a great solution. Only issue keeping me away is the need for an external sensor attached to my phone

For sure, the good point here is to assemble the BLE4.0 beacon tracker + AR + Sound Alert, into the case. That for sure would be very nice. Specially if the protective case could lock the access to the SIM Card (4G Lte) giving a deep layer of security with special screws in order to have more time search and find the lost iPhone, while some one should has to teardown this special security case.

Reactions: 840quadra
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.