Review: uNu Aero Series; Wireless Charging for iPhone 5/5s

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Zmanbaseball2, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Zmanbaseball2, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The uNu Aero Series for iPhone 5/5s is an excellent and unique way to charge an iPhone 5/5s.

Box contents:
    -2000mAh battery case for the iPhone 5/5s
    -Charging pad for wireless charging
    -Micro USB cable
    -Headphone extension cable
    -Directions

Pros:
    -2000mAh lithium polymer battery case for the iPhone 5 to give the iPhone 5/5s an extra 90% charge
    -Wireless charging pad to charge the iPhone (2 connectors on the back of the battery case connect to the 2 squares making a complete circuit to charge the iPhone) (Charging pad is powered by a micro USB cable)
    -Charges the iPhone at 1 amp and when using the micro USB port on the battery case it charges the iPhone at 1.5 amps (1 amp to the iPhone and 0.5 amp to the battery case)
    -Charging pad is very light and portable
    -4 LED’s power level gauge on the back of the battery case (each LED stands for 25% of the batteries capacity)
    -Comes with a headphone extension to work with all headphone plugs (apple styled headphone plugs do not need this extension)
    -Sound is directed at the user
    -Detailed directions on how to install and use the product
    -Easy install/uninstall of the battery case
    -Comfortable in the hand
    -All buttons are easily accessed and press
    -Silent switch is easily moved
    -Can sync with iTunes through the battery case with the iPhone in it using the micro USB cable
    -A wireless charging solution for iPhone 5/5s

Cons:
    -Micro USB cable that came with the product is too short (recommend getting a USB extension cable for more a convenient place to charge
    -iPhone 5 wobbles/shakes when touched on a table
    -No lip on the battery case to protect the screen when faced down on a surface
    -Rather expensive

This is an excellent and unique way to charge an iPhone 5/5s. I highly recommend this product.

Please ask me if you want a link to my video.

2. jayrflow macrumors 6502

Would appreciate a link for the video. Thanks

3. estoydadude macrumors newbie

Would be appreciated if you can send me the link for the video!

thanks!

4. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Are you sure about that? The iPhone only charges at 1A. I suppose it could charge the phone and the battery at 1A each and draw a total of 2A.

5. Zmanbaseball2, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I should say 1.5 amps. I was looking at the capacity: 2000mah when I was making the review (thinking it was a 2 amp input). I will edit it later. I have to change it on amazon as well.
    Thanks for telling me.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Hey Zman....have you had any issues using a 3rd party cable with your Aero? The cable they ship with the case is ridiculously short (to the point where it's virtually useless), so I'm trying to use a longer micro usb cable. Every cable I use throws a "This accessory may not be supported" message and I'm ready to throw this Aero out the window.

We should be able to use our micro usb cable with these damn cases.

7. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Original Apple wall charger. I'm not sure if the cables I'm trying support charge and sync but one is a cable by Mediabridge and the other is from monoprice (both 10 footers).

If you get a chance, please try to charge your phone and case on the charging pad with both the iPhone's battery AND the case's battery at least partially depleted. That seems to be the exact situation where I run into a problem. If you don't have a problem with that scenario, maybe I should buy the same cable you use.

Also, my phone is jailbroken on 7.0.4, although I'm not sure if that even matters.

9. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The input/output of the pad is 2 amps... I thinks hats why. You need a 2 amp wall charger.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

It works fine with the cord that came with it though. Plus I have the same issue when I try to charge my Mophie juice pack air with any cable other than the one that came with it. It has to be the cables - everything else is the same for me.

11. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I don't know what to do now. Best thing is to try a different cable and maybe a 2 amp wall charger if you can.

12. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Well I ordered the same exact cable you have and I'm still having the same issue. I guess I'll try my ipad charger next and see if that makes a difference.

I really don't want to have to use my ipad charger, especially when I'm traveling. It's a lot bigger than the iphone charger.

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Now that I look at it, the iPad charger really isn't much bigger than the iPhone's, so I'll give it a shot. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Well I tried the ipad charger and still received the same message. Not sure what's going on here but I'm beyond frustrated at this point.

15. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

We tried everything. I think it's time to contact support.

16. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Been there, done that. Their tech support is useless.

17. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

18. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm just going to return it. I actually don't really like the charging pad anyway and I feel like it's not worth it to spend $100 for this case if I'm not going to use the charging pad. There are other options that are less than half the price so I'll just go with one of those. Plus something is clearly wrong if I can't charge the thing without constantly getting that annoying message.

Oh well - thank you so much for the help!

19. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Look up iqi iPhone 5 qi charger. Mine just shipped.

20. psywzrd macrumors 68030

That's just a wireless charging solution, no? I need a case with a built-in battery. I'm going to give the Incipio Offgrid Express a shot. It seems to be about the same size as the Unu Aero (which is a good thing), same battery life but about half the price (which is a great thing).

21. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Yes. It is the first qi charger for iOS devices like an iPhone 5.
    I recommend the uNu power dx for the iPhone 5. But it seems like you are staying away from uNu. Another case I recommend is the PhoneSuit elite but that is $90.
    The lenmar iPhone 5 battery case is $56 and is apple certified. I don't have it but it looks good to me.