iPad Review: Zach Epstein says the Air is the much better buy than the R Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Misskitty, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

He sure did show some love for the iPad Air in his review.

BGR is hilarious. One day they'll sing the praises of Apple and the next day they'll slam them. Don't worry I'm sure one of BGR editors will slam the new iPad's soon.

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

3. cababah, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

cababah macrumors 68000

Omg a guy prefers the Air over the rMini?!

That must mean it is better lol

4. mpantone macrumors 6502

Hey, it's BGR.

It's like a Gene Munster quarterly sales forecast, LOL.

:D

5. cababah macrumors 68000

Doesn't change the fact that it is still one guy's opinion at the end of the day.

6. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

How can you call the star of High School Musical, the WB series Summerland, Again, Me and Orson Welles, Charlie St. Cloud, New Year's Eve, The Lucky One, and The Lorax a random guy?

7. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

Please tell me this a brilliant joke.

8. davidec macrumors regular

Clearly he is also colour blind, either that or :apple: made one without a yellow tint specifically for him.

9. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

there is only one review that I care about, and that is my own.

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

I love my iPad air, but the guy is a little too in love with it. I'm really not sure how he thinks the iPhone 5s is the smallest upgrade yet. It fundamentally changed the way I use my phone with Touch ID, and the camera speed is unparalleled. I think the 3G to 3GS was the smallest upgrade (speed differences aside). Heck the iPhone 2G to 3G was a pretty small upgrade, a downgrade in materials for sure, with no speed improvement whatsoever!

Anyway, the iPad Air is great, but the OS needs a LOT of fine-tuning.

11. knightlie macrumors 6502a

Don't know what any of that is, but from the point of view of reviewing an iPad, he's a random guy. If this was an Ars Technica review I'd be impressed.

Personally, I love how practical and portable the mini is, and I'll be upgrading to the Retina version as soon as my contract allows. 7-8" tablets are the sweet spot for me.

12. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

"But the Air actually feels lighter than the mini since the tablet’s heft is distributed across a much larger device."

Seriously?

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its true, because a pound of feathers is lighter then a pound of iron :D

Seriously, it all boils down to personal preference, some of us like the smaller form factor others like the larger iPad. There's no wrong decision

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Exactly. The size/weight is an important criteria to many. The Air is great, but it doesn't fit in a jacket pocket. If that's important to you then the mini is the "better buy" since it's a closer fit to your needs/wants.

Actually there is. Choosing the one that doesn't fit your needs as well as the other just because some guy on the Internet says so is a "wrong decision." :D

(I agree with what you mean though)

15. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

this reminds of the hilarious web sentense: "i saw this on facebook this must be true"

same applies for Zach Epstein :D :D :D

16. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Oh right, it's Zac Epstein world famous boy genius reporter not Zac Efron the talented entertainer and teenage heartthrob. My bad I always get those two confused. :rolleyes:

17. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I got exactly the device I wanted in the size that I wanted (the rMini), and I was able to save $100 over the air. You can think of it that way, too.

18. Misskitty, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

The air feels like a block of cast iron after using the mini for a year. Its lighter than 4th gen but its still got a ways to go to match the mini for overall comfort and feel. Having taken out the air with me everywhere for the past week, I can say that its not nearly as nice and convenient as taking the mini out. The mini can fit in pockets and purses, the air needs a bag or has to be carried by hand. Looks a bit ridiculous carrying and having to put down an air in public. It gets old fast and is just a nousense.

I know many people who eventually stopped bringing their full sized ipads out of the house because of this. They found it too cumbersome. I dont see it being any different with the air.

If I kept both, the mini would still be the device that goes with me everywhere. The air would stay at home and come with me to limited places. But then im not the type of person who sees value in paying $500 for a portable device to stay at home, so the better pick would be rmini.

19. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

First world problems :roll eyes:, Plenty of people/students carry $1000+ laptops out to class and coffee shops, etc.

20. noobinator macrumors 601

That doesn't mean a lick if I want a smaller form factor.

21. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

That's why I thought this was a brilliant jab at the BGR reviewer.

22. Joey225 macrumors member

Owning both, I have to say that's true. At least from my perspective. The weight distribution on the air actually does make it feel lighter in some situations.

23. technopimp macrumors 6502a

24. JGWolven macrumors regular

There really is truth to that.