Reviews of 2.4ghz, 2gb, 256vram vs 2.53ghz, 4gb, 512vrm?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erikplaggenmars, Oct 29, 2008.

1. erikplaggenmars macrumors newbie

Hello guys,
    After googling for a hell of a lot time and seeing review after review I still didn't manage to find a $2000 (base model MBP) vs the $2500 model.
    I'm particulary curious about the framrates in games between the 256mb 9600m and the 512mb 9600m.

I did read something thing like "it doesnt matter that much" etc etc. But I'm kinda looking for some concrete frames/sec results. How will Far Cry 2 or CoD4 do on a $2000 and on a $2500?

My decision to buy either is kinda based on solid reviews / benchmarks regarding the GPU, not some people saying it doesn't make that much of a difference, because I don't know what the difference is.

Oh yeah, if I buy a MBP, I'm gonna work with it for like 2 years, so taking future proofing in mind. Will the 512mb be better anyway cause of future developments?

Thanks in advance,
    Erik

2. eLbanana macrumors member

3. Perk macrumors member

I don't think you've been "googling for a hell of a lot time".

4. Dinosambojambo macrumors newbie

That link is not relevant at all, it for the desktop version of the card (a very different beast with 256 system bus among other differences). It is NOT the 9600M GT, this card has a 128 bit bus and will almost always be a bottleneck in games prior to the 256mb of RAM maxing out.

These are probably the best gaming benchmarks so far including one of the games the OP asked about

http://www.macworld.com/article/136251/2008/10/macbookgraphics.html?lsrc=rss_mainthe

Not much difference

5. eLbanana macrumors member

Ok, your link is better, but they used low resolutions and no directX10 games.

6. erikplaggenmars thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I've seen the link before indeed, but then they don't use native resolutions, and I assume with higher res the gap between the 256mb and 512mb gets bigger. But I can't be sure, cause I can't seem to find a $2000 MBP vs $2500 MBP review...

Anyone else like to share their point of view? :)

7. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

It's not worth it. Save the cash and use it to buy something that will really make a difference. If you install your own RAM and upgrade the HD yourself, you can then buy a little drive enclosure and use the drive you took out as an external; and then sell the RAM you took out. You'll still have some money left over, so maybe you could pick up an Expresscard to add an eSata port and therefore run your new external drive at top speed. And you'll still have money left over after that. :D

8. erikplaggenmars thread starter macrumors newbie

So what you're saying is, it's not worth the vram, and they MBP will be enough for the next 1-2 years... That is, aside from the probable system memory upgrade?

9. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The extra VRAM won't make that much of a difference.