Reviews of 2011 AirPort Extreme Base Station and Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ryanmcv, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

So it seems performance is roughly twice as good across the board (range, throughput). Too bad the new model doesn't gain new features (software or hardware). Hopefully, iCloud will usher in few juicy features like local iCloud caching.

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

So, it appears that the 5GHz wireless band is faster...can someone tell me if a wired connection out of this new AE would be any faster than the previous model I purchased about 1 year ago?

4. ryanmcv thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Doubtful. The included ports are still 1 gigabit in speed. There would be no noticeable difference.

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

The second page of the TC review says:

"If you demand features like port-forwarding, Web traffic metering, or other more-advanced network management options, you should look to another router."

That can't be right... can't the TC do port forwarding? I'm pretty sure I had that set up on my 1st-gen TC awhile back (now it's in bridge mode).

6. dr4g0n macrumors member

Of course it can do port forwarding.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

I bought a TC anyway but have been reconsidering because it still remains pretty hot despite the slower drive and the price difference between the Airport Extreme + 2TB HDD and Time Capsule 2TB is notable considering the lack of new features (TC really shouldve been an iTunes Server)

The reviews have interesting numbers which makes it difficult to decide which to keep.