Rez + TiBook

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Now then..... as a proud owner of a Rev A TiBook, and not in the upgrade window till next Feb 03, I would like increased screen res, just like the new TiBooks.

Now I recall Dukestreet (I think it was duke) mention that Apple could release a Firmware update that could add this option to the Rev A and Rev B TiBooks...

What I'm asking is...... is this all that stands between us and increased screen res on a the early TiBooks........

I want 1280x854 you see....... :( :D

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by sparkleytone
not possible. the screen actually has to physically HAVE that many pixels to display the resolution.
Damn..... so short of buying a new TiBook, I'll never get the increased res that I so long desire to have....... :(

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Rez + TiBook

Originally posted by iGAV
Now I recall Dukestreet (I think it was duke) mention that Apple could release a Firmware update that could add this option to the Rev A and Rev B TiBooks...

I want 1280x854 you see....... :( :D
I don't think that was me. I'm of the opinion that the screen in the Rev A/B books is maxed out at 1152x768, your stuck with that. I'd like to see higher res too, but I think I'll have to wait until I get a new PB in a year or 2.

Your only other option, and its not a bad one, is to get a Sony 18" LCD display - they're really nice, BTW - and have an external monitor to increase your resolution.

If you go with an Apple Cinema Display you'll end up paying more, and having to buy a Dr. Botts DVIator - another $150 on top of the monitor. Not really worth it in my book.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Sorry duke......

So looks like definitely stuck at this res then..... :( ohwell, I only have to wait 9 months until I get a new machine.....

I already have an external 15" LCD sony, but the res on that is 1024x758 so I have like 30" of total screen space...... which isn't bad...... but it'd be nice to have better res on both screens!!

I was just hoping that there was a way of increasing the res on the Rev A.....

Nevermind... I can wait!!:( :D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: screens

I think sparkleytone may be right...

the screens on the new TiBooks are newer LCDs compared to what we Rev. A owners have...

that would be killer, though, to be able to update firmware to somehow create that effect though...but it would probably look funky anyway...

I'm with u man...'03 is going to be my time for the new PowerBook... ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Re: re: screens

Originally posted by eyelikeart
I think sparkleytone may be right...

the screens on the new TiBooks are newer LCDs compared to what we Rev. A owners have...

that would be killer, though, to be able to update firmware to somehow create that effect though...but it would probably look funky anyway...

I'm with u man...'03 is going to be my time for the new PowerBook... ;)
We'll toast with Absinthe in 03, that is toast the PowerBook G5's we'll have running on our desktops!!! ;) :) :D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Re: re: screens

Originally posted by iGAV

We'll toast with Absinthe in 03, that is toast the PowerBook G5's we'll have running on our desktops!!! ;) :) :D
he he he....u gotta stop teasing me with that!!! :p

if I ever make it to Europe within the next year...I'm hunting u down...he he he ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: re: screens

Originally posted by eyelikeart

he he he....u gotta stop teasing me with that!!! :p

if I ever make it to Europe within the next year...I'm hunting u down...he he he ;)

Heh heh....... feel free....... I'm more than up for sampling the various absinthe brands on sale in some of Londons establishments!!! ;)

Don't forget your spoon........ ;)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Re: Re: Rez + TiBook

Originally posted by dukestreet

I don't think that was me. I'm of the opinion that the screen in the Rev A/B books is maxed out at 1152x768, your stuck with that. I'd like to see higher res too, but I think I'll have to wait until I get a new PB in a year or 2.

Your only other option, and its not a bad one, is to get a Sony 18" LCD display - they're really nice, BTW - and have an external monitor to increase your resolution.

If you go with an Apple Cinema Display you'll end up paying more, and having to buy a Dr. Botts DVIator - another $150 on top of the monitor. Not really worth it in my book.
well it seems that you arae talking about buying a monitor at the same time as a new TiBook, so really you don't have to pay that $150. It comes free with the purchase of them both.