Rhode Island governor looks to pioneer free tuition for all

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 23, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rhode-island-governor-looks-pioneer-free-tuition-172128335.html
    seriously hope it works out for them.

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Good! Education is never* a bad investment.

*almost never, that is...

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Only free for two years, but it's great news all the same.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

We shall see if it works. Hope it does.

5. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I like this actually because RI has one of the worst rates of students graduating with a 4 year degree in only 4 years.

It looks like the students will be eligible for free tuition in their junior and senior years, which means students will hopefully get through the first two years quicker and finish in 4 instead of 6-7. This is also good because RI has one of the highest rates of student indebtedness.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Hillarious. Rhode Island is a broke state, awful, awful economy, horrible business climate, high unemployment, and have practically been in a recession since 1970.

Who is going to pay for free college???!!!

I am all for access to affordable higher education. But I don't think it should necessarily be free of cost. There are some people who cannot afford college, but there are also those who can. Why give people who can afford to pay a free ride?

Not everyone wants or needs to go to college, so let's not create that expectation and incur the unnecessary cost. And if college costs were actually a bit more reasonable, why is it so wrong for people to invest in their future?

Id rather see state colleges made more affordable, investment in alternative vocational programs, and perhaps high schools focusing on more life-skills oriented education at the lowest levels.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

seriously not a post a expected you to make.

8. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

The idea of free college worries me for many reasons, but one being that students might not have the right amount of incentive to try, because hey it's free right?

Having only the junior and senior years be free helps me with that concern.

There are other concerns but at least the idea is evolving from just free tuition.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

California's UC system has some problems with that as well, but it's partly due to a very high level of variance in requirements across departments and additional weird requirements (eg if you didn't take 3 years of a foreign language in high school, you may need to take 3 terms of one in college).

I'm not familiar with Rhode Island's economy, but I will tell you that yahoo articles frequently omit implementation details. They're obviously quite important here.

10. HEK Suspended

HEK

Betsy DeVoss invited us all over to her house. She gonna home school us. Schooling is free but she will charge for parking so walk over.

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

MINIMUM wage should be all the incentive they need.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Why not?

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

nothing is free......so if the other RI Residents don't mind paying the taxes to support this....

no thanks IMO.

14. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Lol, not the way the left thinks. They want free education AND raising min wage.

Hey, I'm with you. Just trying to come to understand some sort of compromise.

Isn't education cost raising at some exponential rate nowhere near inflation? Gotta do something to keep these institutions in check right?

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Your responses don't generally contain extra punctuation.

16. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

How does something that is "free" cost $30 million?

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Minimum wage isn't enough to pay for college, and hose are the jobs a lot of college graduates are stuck with.

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

that really depends on their major. what I was trying to say is that getting minimum wage pay should be the incentive to better their education.

19. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Not for the EGAT (everyone gets a trophy) generation. For them the goal is not to reach higher but to have the floor lifted up under their feet, by someone else of course.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Haha. Well, if you've ever been to Rhode Island you know that they don't have enough money to even repave their roads. Like literally parts of their highways look like shattered glass with cracks. Rather than repaving, they patch the cracks- for every one mile of road there's probably 100 miles of cracks.

There's not much going on there. You've got vacation homes across the coast, touarests bring business but they're gone by fall. Inland there's not much. Providence used to be a dump, it's getting better though as it's absorbing business due to proximity to Boston. CVS headquarters are in Woonsocket, ironically also one of the worst illegal drug havens around.

Rhode Island is a beautiful place. Fantastic dining as well for whatever reason. But I cannot in 25 years see how they would swing free education.

Rhode Island probably gets some nice property taxes from the vacation homes (mostly out of staters), but otherwise there's probably not a ton of income tax coming in.

21. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Pretty much nailed it!

Like I said, if there's a state that can use a program like this it's probably RI; but you raise some valid points about their ability to finance it.

And you're dead right about the roads, every time I drive through RI I feel like I want to send the state a bill for a new alignment on my car. So...many...potholes.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I didn't know any of that. I haven't spent much time on the east coast. If you have vacation homes and any kind of fishing or agricultural economy, that could support some number of small dining establishments. I generally hold the opinion that politicians should announce funding plans alongside these announcements, as they may help quell speculation.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

My parents have a summer home in Rhode Island, so I spent pretty much every summer of my childhood down there. Not too far from Taylor Swift. Talk about the worst highway system too- no over/under passes, everything is a crazy bottleneck loopdie-loop. It's okay their roads are like the surface of the moon, because the local PD has an armored amphibious vehicle :rolleyes:

The silly town tried to pass a law that property north of route 1 (inland, locals) would be taxed at a lower rate than everyone south of route 1 (coastal, beach houses, out-of-towners). It didn't work.

The sad thing is that very good restaurants open up and people will love it, but the owners don't prepare for the quiet off-season and they end up going out of business in a year... perpetual opening and closing and reopenings. In the fall/winter/spring its dead on the coast.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I figured the off season would be brutal, but you mentioned fantastic dining. I figured by the phrasing that some owners had figured out workable business models.