Rich shouldn't have to pay taxes, Santorum backer says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. Just wow. Rarely have I read something this egocentric, this clueless.

Who does this idiot think made him rich? If Mr. Friess wants the bottom end to pay taxes, then pay them a taxable wage, dammit.

I swear, people like this are why torches and pitchforks were invented. :mad:

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He's just saying what they all feel. "I got mine, and **** the rest of you."

For your consideration. [​IMG]

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep. The right's true colors come out more and more.

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The Right Wing Political Machine:

[​IMG]

They need to chill out for a second, and smoke weed for an hour.

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It is quite charming how quickly the rich forget that the poor do pay taxes. Not Federal income taxes. But, at the state and local level, taxes are generally regressive. Federal income tax is unusually progressive in comparison to most wealthy countries. But, most countries don't have three or four separate tax collection systems, and below the Federal level, taxes are usually very regressive, making up for the progressive Federal income tax.

[​IMG]

http://visualecon.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/19237_TaxFoundation.gif

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/just-how-progressive-is-the-tax-system/

6. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

How long before someone says the middle & lower taxes should have a high tax rate and the rich should have a negative tax rate?

Plus, how will road maintenance and other infrastructure be financed without taxes? What about all those people who want more military spending? Who will pay for that? Kinda makes me sad that everyone wants services, but are unwilling to pay for them.

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It is so strange to read that these people really do believe this crap.:confused:

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Friess is becoming quite the handicap to Santorum. The old fart should keep his mouth shut.

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I guess there'll be charities that can be donated to, that'll maintain the roads.

Don't know if us poor people will be allowed to drive on 'em, though.

10. jeremy h macrumors 6502

What is going on with American right at the moment? In the past few years they all seem to have gone completely potty :eek:

I was watching a BBC documentary about poverty in the US yesterday, I mention it not to try and score any points (God knows we've got enough issues here at the moment), but I was dumbfounded by the attitudes of the right wing politicians and things they were prepared to say in front of cameras. It was almost all pure Monty Python. I almost began to feel sorry for them as for the programme makers it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

But then they also showed some coverage from a debate on health, a CNN one I think, with a nomination candidate (might not have that bit right). He was asked what should be done if someone was in a coma or critically ill without health insurance, should they be allowed to die. His response was that basically, the individual had already made that choice themselves (by not getting private health insurance) and some members of the audience stated whooping that response up.

I was just open mouthed watching it...

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ah, yes, that would be a question asked to Ron Paul (who's a freakin' doctor :eek:) at one of the 82,391 Republican debates we've had in the past few months. I remember that clip.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Governments everywhere seem to be under the impression that the middle class are cool with getting tax shafted. Not rich enough for get-out-of-paying loopholes and clever accountants but not poor enough to be cut a single penny of slack. It's goddamn irritating.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Lower and middle class should pay into the federal system. The rich should pay more. You can't have people voting on issues when they are completely insulated from paying for the programs they want.

14. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, because the statements of an ignorant voter is analogous to a billionaire financing (for all intents and purposes) a campaign for president.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

17. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Agreed.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

But the kicker is they are paying into many of those system. Medicare and SS are both paid for by the poor and middle class.

Also you need to remember often times the federal money goes to supplement state money. That means states would have to raise their taxes more which are regressive in nature. This means the poor are paying into it just not directly. They are indirectly funding it threw state taxes.
    They are far from insulted. I might agree with you if it was not for the fact that taxes on the rich have been cut by huge amounts. Promises made by regan which was to cut taxes on the rich but to close the loop holes were never completed. He cut taxes but never closed the loop holes.

19. ender land macrumors 6502a

This is the point of the article - not that the rich should keep all their money and not give it away at all - but that they spend it more effectively than the government.

Unfortunately, I'm not convinced they would donate so much if they didn't get tax breaks from doing so :)

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would say if you look at the rich as a whole VERY few of them give much of their money to charities. I need to look it up but I want to say in terms of percentages the poor and middle class give away more of their money than the rich.
    Because this plays right into it I might like to point to a bible verse. Something many of the religious Right wing nut jobs REALLY and I mean REALLY need to read and take in.

The saddest part is how often I see how true that verse is among the rich vs the poor. Poor seem to be much more willing to share what little they have.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Medicare and SS payments are nothing compared to the compensation they receive from them later in life. Federal money usually goes to supplement state money, lower and middle class do not pay into federal taxes. Lower class usually get money back from federal taxes and have very small liabilities state wide if any.

% of income statistics do not pay the bills. If I have 6 roommates and we pay as a percent of income and no one is employed we are going to get evicted.

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Why do people lash out about the rich not paying taxes?
    If I had millions/billions I would follow the laws and pay as little as possible as most of us that are wealthy do.
    Last I knew Warren Buffet wasn't a politician and doesn't write the tax laws.

The schmucks in Washington write tax laws not the wealthy people.
    If the law makers have the balls to change to laws congrats they finally did something right.
    If corporations or wealthy people break the law hold them accountable.
    I applaud Washington for turning the onus of the rich not paying higher taxes back on the wealthy.
    Maybe Washington needs to become more responsible with budgets and spending before taxing anyone more.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You don't think that those "schmucks in Washington" aren't wealthy? :confused:

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Isn't this interesting?

link

25. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Because many spew self-righteous, self-aggrandizing, arrogant bull **** like this: