Richard Lugar's goodbye missive

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 9, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yet another Republican warns of the ideological divide:

Apologies for the length of the quote, but Lugar makes quite a good argument here. I can scarcely find fault with it. I'm sure some will try to characterize this as a sour grapes reaction to Mourdock's win. I on the other hand can respect much of what he says here.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This is an excellent statement and I agree with just about everything he says here. It seems that unless you agree with every single point in your party "orthodoxy" then you are not a real Republican or Democrat and must be purged. That's what happened to him.

3. danahn17 macrumors 6502

If only politicians (and their constituents and the media) on both sides of the political spectrum would heed his advice...

Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen :(

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

see I could stand with the purging stuff if we had more than a 2 party system. This 2 party system make that rather crappy. They just follow rank and file instead of think for themselves. If we have a system where we voted for a party and then the party got so many seats I could stand it. We have broken down to a Parliament setting with rigged districts and only 2 choices.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

One of the major problems with any two party system is the lack compromise. :(

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well sonofagun...just as I predicted.

...And you always hurt the one you love. :rolleyes:

Mourdock was no better:

7. Huntn, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Another victory for the Right/wrong!

Don't lump the parties together. While I'd never argue that the Democrats are a great bunch, they are better than their political adversaries, and it's abundantly clear they have more tolerance for dissent within their party than the GOP. I'm not a Democrat. :)

Not to sound myopic, but the last time I voted there were about 7 parties listed on the ballot. I think there are some other fundamental problems with our system.

8. danahn17 macrumors 6502

Ughhhhh. :mad::(

Even though there are other parties, it's still essentially a 2 party system--the other parties are so small in support that they're essentially nothing. I think the main problem is that in the US, we have a winner-takes-all system, even if someone won 51% to 49%. Many countries elsewhere will have parties that share power in the government proportionally to the support they received.