Rick Perry: “Strict anti-abortion laws could have saved Joan Rivers.”

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Sep 22, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Republican Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Sunday invoked comedian Joan Rivers’ death at a surgical clinic while defending a law he signed that would close the majority of abortion facilities in the nation’s second-most populous state.

The potential 2016 presidential candidate said the law made Texas safer, even though a federal judge in August blocked a key provision that requires abortion clinics to meet hospital-level operating standards.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...reference-joan-rivers-death-article-1.1948517

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I hate to admit that Rick Perry is right about anything, even the weather we are having, but, he is kind of right on this one. Or, wrong, for the right reason. A long time ago, doctors performed all kinds of surgery in small facilities, and, had to. But, it is a fact that highly experienced surgeons and anesthesiologists with state of the art facilities do have much better track records. Anything requiring anesthesia should be done in a real hospital if possible, IMHO.

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Nope, satire would be humorous. This ain't funny. It is ignoratio elenchi. Unless Joan Rivers was having an abortion at the time (bad, bad visual:p) Perry argument misses the point completely.

I'm against abortion, but his argument has me asking, "What the hail is the man smoking?"

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Paraphrase

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I believe everyone on both sides of the abortion issue have to be questioning this guy's ignorance. While being a celebrity, an elderly lady's death has absolutely nothing to do with abortion, nor the abortion laws in Texas.

Absolutely asinine, this guy.

BL.

6. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Why does everyone all of a sudden like Joan Rivers because she died? The last time I heard about her, Jennifer Lawrence was berating her for judging people on their appearance

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Kinda offtopic here.

The bigger question to ask, is "What does Joan River's death have to do with abortion?"

BL.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Everything!

Joan River --> Abortion! :eek: Get it?

9. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Oh please win the GOP presidential nomination. Oh please oh please oh please...

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Me win the GOP nomination? Shooo, I'd get kicked out faster than a women in Herman Cain's hotel room. :D :p

BL.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Rick perry has done far more to harm woman's heath then abortions have caused. the hole I care so much for woman is just a joke it is hard to believe. he has cut finding to low income woman's clinics denied heath care pushed abstinence only education.
    abortion clinics don't need operating rooms and he knows this he lies about it and That is pissing god off. He is as likely to care about woman's heath as aliens have replaced in brain with a cyborg implant.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

According to this account, the law Goodhair is referring to requires that clinics that perform abortions be up to the standard of "ambulatory surgical centers" – which describes the clinic that Joan Rivers had gone to. So Mr. teleprompter-glasses is just blowing sulphrous gasses in the wind.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I have to disagree with you. If I understand it correctly, Rivers was at an Endescopy Center in down town Manhattan being "scoped" for a throat issue, not undergoing surgery. Many of these facilities have excellent reputations, this facility would not be considered fly by night, and so far no ineptitude or mistakes on behalf of the anesthesiologist has been revealed, so the only way that his law might have made a difference would be if his law applied to all anesthesia procedures requiring them to be conducted at hospitals, with an emergency room, but even then, there would be no guarantee for an elderly patient like JR.

His is a red herring argument, because he does not feel this way about all medical facilities that are not hospitals, just those that do abortions.