Rick Perry: Why Can Gays Come Out, But Christians Can't?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 7, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And in addition to the brilliant mayor in Michigan....

I love the "war on religion" part. Wow. Good luck watching this without losing your lunch.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_..._Why_Can_Gays_Come_Out_But_Christians_Cannot/

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Obama's war on religion?! What is this brain dead GOP wingnut blabbering on about? I think he's just annoyed that religion is on a steep decline.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Ridiculous argument, but I'm sure it makes perfect sense to the very dim bulbs that make up the Christian Taliban.

A gay person and a Christian can come out the exact same way--you just say you are gay, a Christian, or both and there you have it. No one is stopping that.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I have to agree with him.

http://www.allvoices.com/contribute...tree-controversy-what-would-you-call-the-tree

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

What weird parallel universe do these GOP politicians live on?

As an outsider from the other side of the Atlantic the one thing I would have thought is sacrosant (no pun intened ;)) in the US is Christians and their right to shove it down everyone else's throat.

Now I hear there is a War on Religion?

WTF?
    And be under no illusion, when these idiots speak of Religion they only mean Christianity…

Mind blowing.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

How is this relevant? It hardly represents a "war on religion". You do realize that "holiday" is short for "Holy Day", right?

Don't forget that of us have to live by their rules, or we're denying them their rights.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd urge my fellow Americans to remember this as our next president will likely have to fill 2 Supreme Court seats. I like a divided court; I shudder to think of a 7-2 court.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Basically, any individual who does not accept Jesus Christ in an Evangelical Church and who does not vote or hold the exact opinions of church leaders is part of the "War on Religion".

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm fairly certain that if Rick Perry had his way, he'd grant more rights to that "Christmas" Tree than he would to us.

I'll worry about what to call vegetation when I'm given all of the rights that are being denied to me.

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Obama's war on religion? Did he sign a law banning praying in school? Did he ban saying merry christmas?

If there is a war on religion, it's from the GOP themselves. Their labeling Obama a muslim and going after Romney for being Mormon......

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's also convenient to ignore that the story involves a governor acting on his religious convictions (as opposed to the government trying to quash people's ability to act on their religious convictions), which ostensibly is exactly what Perry is complaining he is not allowed to do.

I personally think this speech is rife for a parody of "Why can't the English?" from My Fair Lady. :)

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

"There's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school"

Nope, thats exactly how it should be. Keep your religious brainwashing fairytales out my ****ing schools, I wouldn't want my kids exposed to that crap. Nobody is stopping the kids from celebrating christmas, but take your ****ing prayer to church. Thats where it belongs. Not in school.

And the gays can do whatever the **** they want. They are people too, they have the same rights as all of us. In fact, I'd even let the gays pray in school just to piss off the christians. :D

**** religion. anyone who seriously believes that **** needs to get their head reevaluated.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I will apologize for any Christian who tries to dehumanize someone because of their beliefs/sexual orientation; short of that I am a Christian and I do stand up for what I believe and when Christ starts to be swept under the rug it is an issue to me.

I'm not saying Perry is always right or even that he is a suitable President but there is a war on religion, although I would call it a war on Christianity, and if you would like to see a small example of it then read through the PRSI.

Oh wonderful, here is an example right here:

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

As a gay man and therefore supposedly an afficionado of musicals (which I am not! :)), I approve of this post.
    :D

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Is there any harm in letting a kid do a prayer before he eats lunch? I agree with not having an official time/place in school to let kids pray, but I don't have a problem with a kid praying before eating or something like that.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Kids can pray anytime they want. It's only the employees of the state (teachers) who may not lead a group prayer. So guess what? They can already do it.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Please stop. There is no war on religion. There is a battle over religion being pushed into aspects of our lives where it doesn't belong.

Attached Files:

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oh great, more news from idiots that give us real Christians a bad name :rolleyes:

Comparing gays to Christians is ridiculous. Gay is something that is not a choice, and is genetic. Christianity is a choice, and is a religious and/or spiritual belief. I chose to be a Christian, I didn't chose to be straight or gay. No one did.

I've stated this in another thread but in my opinion politicians should not be allowed to run for office when they bring religion, race, or sexual orientation in to their debates (unless its for equality). This country was founded on freedom of religion so why are people shoving their interpretation of Christianity down other peoples throats?

Singling out gay people is no different than singling out someone of a different skin color. No different at all.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's exactly what it is. No one cares what anyone believes, but I should not be forced to abide by anyone's religious beliefs, nor should anyone be denied rights due to someone else's religious beliefs.

20. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I stopped reading from here.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Here's a valid question for you.... did the previous governor call it a "Christmas tree"? I'm pretty sure he didn't. What you dislike is that they're making it generic. Christian holidays and influence are observed more than any other religion in the US. Most of it these days though just feeds commerce.

If Christianity isn't specifically emphasized it's a war on Christianity :rolleyes:? The nation is comprised of and was founded by more than just Christians. This includes Native Americans that still do live here. I'm not trolling you here. I just don't agree.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

We must look so primitive to you guys from other countries. It's so embarrassing.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

One thing that makes no sense in the article too is .... where are Christians being repressed? If he wants to feel like an oppressed Christian he should move to the middle east where Christians are targeted with real threats. Maybe if he did that he'd realized how silly he sounds.

I'm a Christian and I don't feel oppressed. I pray when I want to and read my Bible when I want to and if I ever decided to attend church (which I don't because churches twist things) I could go whenever I wanted.

When religion and politics are not separate it is a dangerous thing. The people voting for this guy, or tea party-ers, or anyone who wants to focus on religion and morals needs to stop and think how they would feel if a religion they were not part of came in to the political system and changes started taking effect favoring that other religion.

Take a look at countries like Saudi Arabia, or Iran. Politics and religion mixed there and look what happened...

24. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Are you Texan? :confused: