Rick Santorum: Marriage Is Like a Napkin, Not a Paper Towel

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 10, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh boy. Oh Rick, no one is redefining marriage, but this is definitely the reason we gave your name a new definition. If the article doesn't insult your intelligence enough, watch the video- it's embarrassing. This is how low we've sunk in this country. We now have douchebags like this idiot and Michele Bachmann running for President.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_...Marriage_Is_Like_a_Napkin,_Not_a_Paper_Towel/

2. Surely Guest

Surely

I bet he kept that napkin so that he could use it to clean up the santorum later that night.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I just bought a 12 pack of paper towels at Target yesterday...so did I just marry 12 guys or something? Because I'm straight and can't afford one spouse, much less 12 :confused:

4. imahawki macrumors 6502a

A napkin is only a napkin because English speakers say so. Words change definitions all the time. Gay would be a good example that might hit home with Santorum, but some words have changed meanings to be exactly the opposite. I heard a story about lexicography on NPR one day. Apparently a long time ago scorch meant cold, not hot.

Bottom line, words mean whatever SOCIETY says they mean, not whatever Rick says.

5. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Bah, a napkin is nothing more than a thin paper towel that's been folded a couple times.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

If you watch the video, you'll also learn that marriage occurs in nature. Who knew? :eek:

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Like I said- watch the video. It gets so much worse. Who gave this idiot a college degree? Their accreditation should be revoked.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

From the article you posted, I don't think he called marriage a "napkin" he was making a point about calling something what it is. He could have used the words "duck" and "goose" as in a duck is a duck even if you call it a goose.

While I don't agree with him and that marriage should be just between two people who're in love, you're thread title kind of makes you look like the one who's misinterpreting things.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He seems really hung up on paper towels. Latent desire to **** the Brawny paper towel man, if you ask me.

11. codymac macrumors 6502

OK, I give. Let the religious right have marriage and the rest of us godless heathens will have "partnerships" or some other term for it.

Same rules apply, different names, that sure seems like it would solve his issue.
    :rolleyes:

Oh wait, I forgot all about that little equal protection thing...
    ;)

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

We tried that here in Illinois with civil unions. It didn't make the religious happy. They got very upset, actually. Why? Because they said it was too much like marriage. This NOT about a name. They don't want legal recognition of civil rights for gay people, period.

13. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I really hope the Iowa voters can tune out this crap, but considering the success NOM had in ousting those three judges in Iowa I'm a bit concerned.

My family actually uses folded paper towels as napkins. So if I called my napkin a paper towel it would be absolutely correct. :)

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

And upon encountering this grave error, the aggrieved duck is obliged as a matter of principle to leap to his feet and give chase. Upon catching the offender, the duck shall provide an object lesson in the proper labeling of waterfowl by forcing him into the role of a duck and demonstrating proper labeling technique. But oh, how power corrupts.

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

They don't care about legal recognition of civil rights for gay people. They dont' care about anything other than trying to find whatever magic will work to end being gay. They are either embarrassed about themselves, their spouses or their children. All they want is a cure.

It is not religion because they would recognize the possibilitity that another religion might become the majority and impose its dogma on them.

It is not family values or they would be working to make divorce illegal.

It is not a lot of things.

It's homophobia.

I used to be guilty, so I know what to look for.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course it is. But they'll make any excuse to make it sound like it's not homophobia.

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, I know.

18. imahawki macrumors 6502a

There are a lot of people who think this is all absurd. Its too bad we don't all get together and put as much effort behind our views as the religious right. We should start ballot initiatives (in places they have them) to ban straight marriage.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

NO- we should start ballot initiatives to ban divorce.

20. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

I swear this totally seems like something out of South Park.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Truth is more terrifying than the most fictional of horror films.

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

But, is marriage a cloth napkin or a paper napkin? Does it exhibit napkin-ness? Or does any piece of paper material, when used to clean the face and hands after eating, act sufficiently as a napkin?

I didn't realize that Iowa was going to be a venue for debate between the Platonic or Aristotelean ideal of things.

24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

And if you use a napkin as a paper towel or vice versa are you going against god's divine food removal plan? :eek:

25. codymac macrumors 6502

Oh, I'm sure.

Exactly, my point is, he's talking about a name so his argument is... well... "meh," and not what he's really after. If it were, he'd have no problem with simply calling it something else and preserving his sanctimonious... I mean, the "sanctity" of "marriage" as he sees it.
    ;)