Rick Santorum wins Iowa

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jan 4, 2012.

1. leekohler, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is quite simply embarrassing for our country.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-iowa-caucus-final-20120104,0,2992729.story

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Why is it embarrassing? The guy knows how to campaign, he went to every county in Iowa and spoke with thousands of people. Lets see you do that.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Could you please be a little more specific.

Almost everything your country does is embarrassing to some one. ;)

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's embarrassing that a bigoted whackjob like Santorum even has a shot at being elected president.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That a nut case like Santorum could come that close to winning speaks extremely poorly of the GOP. Clear enough for you? ;)

Also, sad and scary.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, thanks Lee.

My mind was swimming with the endless possibilities. :)

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't disagree with you but why do you think he is a nut job? I mean... I know why you think that but it would likely lead to better discussion if there were factual statements instead of "he's Tom Cruise crazy".

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? The man is obsessed with social issues from gay rights to abortion to even birth control.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...th-control-sodomy_n_1181291.html?ref=politics

Would you like more? ;)

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The guy has compared gay people to people who have sex with animals and children. He's nuts.

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Nope. Just gives something to discuss/read instead of generic comments.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I assume that everyone here is familiar with Santorum. We've discussed him here for years. I think very few people need to be reminded of how crazy he is. But hey, it can't hurt to post more.

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

God help us should he be elected....I might not come home!

As said, sad that the GOP have not a grain of common sense. Please think people.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The GOP has lost it's collective mind. The debates were embarrassing and non-intellectual. I think at this point that the GOP is actually proud of the idiots they paraded around Iowa. It's sad what's become of the party.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

In the early race in a right of center state, Santorum being the more right wing candidate had to win Iowa, and hopefully by a good margin.

To see Iowa go with the more moderate Romney basically predicts that more moderate, larger states will go with Romney, too.

While nobody says this is the end for Santorum, he pretty much is not in good shape having lost in a conservative state as the conservative candidate. I could see a lot of Iowans liking Santorum but voting for Romney because they want to go with the guy who seems more electable. It's only time before Romney wraps this up.

Romney is seem by many as the only GOP candidate who can pose a real challenge to Obama. I certainly hope Romney does not get to the White House, but Tuesday was a huge win for him and possibly the first step in getting there.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Santorum only lost by 8 votes. That's not exactly encouraging. I would hardly call that a huge win for Romney. You may be correct that Santorum does not stand a chance, but this is just plain sad that he would even get this close.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Romney did slightly worse in Iowa than he did in 2008. The dude's been running for president for like 6 years and he can't crack 25% in polls. He only "won" by 8 votes. Just wait until Gingrich starts his media campaign in NH and SC. Voters will see probably the most spineless politician of our era.

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the strangest part is he is catholic and we all know catholics are not true christians. so why are they very conservative real christians liking him? The problem is most of it is his stand on abortion that I think they want him. people tend to blind themselves to other wacky things if the candidate stands on the one thing they want.

20. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

We may well end up with another lame duck President who fiddles whilst we burn....I sincerely hope not, but the wind is blowing that way.

21. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

So one conservative wingnut was replaced by two others. What else is new.

Anyone who thinks social and (perceived) moral issues like "family" (whatever that's supposed to mean), sexual preference, how folks have children and when, should take centre-stage in politics and stand at the forefront of voters' minds while they struggle in a horribly mismanaged economy, for which a government that has surrendered their power to corporate and financial sector interests has no real answer, needs their head checked.

Only in the US and in third-world theocracies do we see this happening.

22. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I think it's hard to say with regards to Romney. He's bound to win New Hampshire which may give him a mild winners streak which will be reported on by the media and consequently ingrained in people's minds. But with Bachmann and Perry pulling out or likely pulling out, those voters might end up going towards Santorum as they seemed to be the religious vote. While Romney did worse this year than in 2008, some of that likely has to do with Dem/Ind at the Republican caucus so I'm not reading too much into that, especially since it wasn't a significant percentage dip.

I think Ron Paul did fairly well but I was hoping he would do better. Not to win but more as a kick in the pants to the GOP.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's hope that we don't end up with a Republican president this time around. We'll be sunk in so many ways if we do.

24. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, that is so nasty. :)