"Right Honorable" MP's, and their shady expenses

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, May 11, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What I've found most annoying about all of this is the continuing insistence that the claims were "within the rules". Personally I don't care if it's within the rules (which MPs set for themselves) or not. It's a matter of right and wrong.

I expect that MPs should be setting a whiter-than-white example of what is right and wrong, yet it seems that pretty much all of them have no concept of what is morally right and what is not. In my opinion they should all resign and not re-enter politics as I have no confidence in any of them.

Oh, and as they have been disgraced like "Sir Fred" they should all do as they claimed he should and give up their pensions whilst they are at it.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The years of feeding at the public trough have finally caught up with the bastards, it was funny watching Cameron having to resist making party jibes because he knew his lot were just as bad.

Any one of them who says "I was within the rules" is as bad as a Prison camp guard saying "I was just following orders". They were taking the piss and they knew it.

Jeremy Clarkson for PM.

4. djellison macrumors 68020

I'm somewhat sick of them saying 'Sorry' or being told to say 'Sorry'

Yeah - they're sorry that the system has been brought to light so the public can see just how much we're getting ripped off.

Seriously - I can't claim for a garden or an extension or dog food on my salary - why the hell should they? There should be halls-of-residence like accommodation for any MP outside of the M25, with travel expenses (standard class train fairs purchased in advance, or standard fair rail card) paid for.

That's it.

Clarkson for PM indeed.

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It all just hammers home (again) how much I don't want any of them in charge of anything.

Come the next election, I really don't know what I'll do.

Lying, scheming, evil wankers.

Lord [vomit] Mandleson: "The fact is that these allowances would not have been paid if they weren't within the rules,"

...he says after having spent tax payers money sprucing up his constituency home which he then sold for £136k profit [for himself].

The rules seem to be useless, using them as a defence isn't gonna cut it buddy.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Time for a grassroots driven campaign to vote out every incumbent. If 500 of the current 650 get replaced next year with the new lot knowing exactly what the expectations on them are we can cower them into behaving.

£140,000/year and we're expected to buy their furniture?? Eff that.

This bit really shows the extent of the problem. Any system that allows this needs urgent reform.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Seems you guys have become the US. Sorry for exporting our evil ways.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Not the US's fault by any means Lee. The UK Parliament has seen itself as above the law for centuries. This is just the latest incarnation of that.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good! I feel better now. :)

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The problem being that the people making the rules are the ones benefiting from them.

They'll "clean up" the system and replace it with something that is better hidden, easier to plausibly deny.

regulation isn't the answer, morals and honesty are.

Oh, wait, we were talking about politicians right?

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

They are all such fuxing jerks. :mad: DIAF, MPs.

There, I said it.

12. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/RollingLaugh.gif

13. nplima macrumors 6502a

To think that just across the Westminster Bridge there is a such a nice set of Council Estates that could be used by MPs. MPs could go benefit from the great transport links at Elephant&Castle and Old Kent Road, the savings in their day to day expenses could be used for building new affordable housing elsewhere. If Southwark borough did their part correctly, all this could be done "by the rules".

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=10112

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Lampposts and piano wire. It's the only way to be sure.

15. Queso macrumors G4

That would be one way to ensure major investment for urban regeneration in Lambeth and Southwark. Currently most MPs live in Westminster, completely coincidentally the borough that gets the largest central government grant in the country...

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

And has the lowest (or close to) council tax in London (if not the country)

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I was watching the Politics Show on the weekend and have seen quite a lot of the news coverage recently. One thing that annoys me about the situation is that every MP is saying that they were within the rules/guidelines and it seems to have annoyed quite a lot of people.

If one MP came out and said "Actually to be honest yeah we were taking the piss" then I would be inclined to vote for them or at least dislike them a little less than the others.

Some of the claims are quite funny though.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not really, the price we all individually paid for this isn't enough to buy the bus ticket to work.

Now obviously this an area in need for massive reform, but lets not pretend that anyone else in any position of power is any better.

I mean the average rich person doesn't take every penny they earn over £30k and give it to the government at 40% tax do they? And the average corporation doesn't give the government 30% of their pre-tax profits do they? I mean they all "abuse" the tax code "within the rules" as much as they can don't they?

19. Queso macrumors G4

The difference of course being that when people play the system with the tax code the Government comes down on them by changing the HMRC guidances. Who is similarly tasked with clamping down on MPs?

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Unfortunately the MP's have to do it themselves. But I think it is highly unlikely that nothing will change after the fuss there has been.

EDIT: Its worth mentioning that if we reform it well we'll have one of the best (if not the best) system in the world, I have no doubt most other governments are just as bad on this - even in 1st world countries.

21. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

There's is absolutely nothing wrong with 'The System', the problem is totally with the troughing MPs who abuse it.

Where's (the modern day equivalent) Cromwell when we need him?

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And my MP wants to sue the Daily Telegraph for all the damage they've done :rolleyes:. This whole situation is laughable and I hope it all gets sorted very soon. Every bloody day there's a new scandal clogging up BBC News.

23. nplima macrumors 6502a

If the amount of 88M for last year that appears on The Independent is correct, then I really think that housing all MPs in Elephant&Castle can be done cheaply compared to supporting their 2nd homes...

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The problem is the system as it is is open to abuse. You can't expect MP's (or anyone else) not to play the system if they can within the rules.

25. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'm a Right Hon. :)

But, on a more important note.. what in G-ds name is Hazel Blears wearing in that photo??

She looks horrific. Milk bottle pale, glaring red hair and green... can't she claim some more for a hair dresser, fake tan and a stylist? or eyes.. that work?