Right , I've decided to go get a MBP in the morning .....any advice ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marbles, Nov 13, 2008.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Gone for the MBP as it will be my desktop replacement.
    I'm not expecting to have any issues at all and am thoroughly looking forward to stepping up from the G3 I currently use ! , however, I thought I'd throw this thread out there to the MacRumors faithful and see what you guys thought , any advice ?? .

I've been researching what to look out for in respect of faults/things to check , I found a few to look out for ....

Try and get one with the LG screen if poss and not the chi-mei

Check the screen for flicker and for any pixel problems

Battery cover that fits securely?

Make sure the screws that need to be removed for replacing RAM are NOT threaded

Check the 'crookedness' of the keys & for sticking caps lock

External display glitch / any video issues (both cards) horizontal lines , tearing , flicker on low brightness setting.

Audio buzz hiss pop from the headphone port.

...+ all the usual checks for loud fans, clicks , dents , scratches , unusual sounds and of course check everything works as it should( hardware wise) any advice here guys ?? , suppose this list is for when I try the machine out in the store to keep my mind on what to check and make sure I don't forget to check anything before going home ...I may not be thinking straight when I finally get my hands on it , jeez I can't wait

any thoughts ?
    cheers

a very excited marbles :rolleyes: :eek: :)

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Your checklist sounds fine to me. The MBP is a terrific computer - I have one myself and am very happy with it - and you'll enjoy it hugely. Remember, too, that it is covered by Apple's warranty, so if anything does go pear-shaped, your problems will be attended to.

Cheers and good luck

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Good luck with your purchase.

I do wonder, though, how you're going to be able to check all these things before making your purchase? There's no way Apple will let you open the box, check for these, and then purchase that unit.

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

You have like 14 days to bring it back so the only thing to check for is to make sure it starts. After you buy it, open the box and boot it up. It should be smooth sailing for there. If it DOA, then you can exchange it right there. Everything else on your checklist your going to need to do at home and make the appointment with the techs later.

5. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Always buy a new Mac with the three years Apple Care package. Even if you don't need it, it will increase the resell-value if you decide to buy another Mac in a year or two from now.

Buy it with the largest available hard disk and max out the RAM. 2 GB RAM are already the low-end configuration nowadays (unless you only need it for web browsing or music and video playback). Beasts like Aperture want as many CPU cores and as much RAM as you can get.

If you want to play games on the notebook, get yourself a copy of Windows XP or Vista --and-- a real two button mouse. The Mighty Mouse completely sucks for gaming, because you cannot press both the left and the right mouse button simultaneously. I have a (USB) Microsoft Natural Keyboard and a Microsoft Optical Mouse on my Mac Pro and can highly recommend both.

Other than that: Enjoy the new machine! ;-)

6. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

It's a good thing that decided to have the store check the machine over before I left.....
    I purchased the MBP , opened it in store with the sales girl and it was scratched because a piece of metal was loose under the plastic wrapping ....so she got another which had a dent on it on the top ( most of the way across the Apple logo , OK fair enough , it happens thinks I .

Patiently I waited while the (now rather embarrassed) sales girl went out back to find another machine which wouldn't turn on . :eek:

What is going on at Apple ???. I thought it must be a candid camera show or something and waited for the presenter to jump out ....no one did , I got a refund and came home disappointed :(

7. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I have to say that I was blown away by the machines feel & looks , the trackpad is amazing and the glare from the screen was no where near as bad as I thought it would be , and believe me I really didn't like the glossy screen on the previous macbooks ,...this screen is different , not as much reflection and I have to say it is a very nice screen.

Shame about the quality control , now I don't normally go in for what being written around the web as usually more complainers can be heard than those giving praise but now I look further there really is a lot more than usual complaining about the quality control of the latest machines .

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

This is becoming unbelievable! How do you sit on $25 billion of cash reserves and let three subpar machines get through to one location? I'm no mathematician but the frequency of three machines without sequential problems at one store?

9. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I can imagine that some folks will call BS on this , I can assure you it is real and not made up.

I'm no mathematician my self but I've been reading an awful lot of QC issues for these machines over the last couple of hours .

Silly things as defects too .

somethings not right .

10. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I bought a MB at the store during the first week. We opened 2 boxes and both had crooked keys so I came home with nothing too. The first one had a loose battery but I thought it was an acceptable tolerance. It has to be manufactured smaller than the opening.

11. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Forgive me but if you thought the loose cover was acceptable how come you didn't bring it home? ,

Personally I'm willing to let some things slide too but when it' something that could affect the value of my investments resale value , such as quite obvious scratches , I draw the line .

This could easily be construed as I've been neglecting the machine! .

Apple themselves may also say that too , what if I have a legitimate hardware issue down the road in a year or so but upon seeing the scratches the genius bar guys would possibly say , sorry you've neglected or dropped that machine , no repair for you !!.

I am taking no chances , I'll buy what they advertised , nothing less.

12. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

^ It had crooked keys. I totally agree with you.

13. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

ah ye , I
    get what you mean now that I've re read your comment ......, I was a little bit annoyed yesterday , sorry if I barked at you .

What you doing about getting one then ? , are you leaving it now or ....

14. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I should probably point out that every recent Apple laptop has the audio problem. The odd pop you might hear is the audio system turning itself on/off to save power. The hiss you hear is IIRC an impedance issue. So if you have some in ear headphones (that don't use much power) you are going to notice it. You shouldn't notice it on the bigger headphones though.

Some have said you can get a volume adapter and it will allow you to use in ear headphones (but I personally haven't tried this as I just use bigger clip on headphones). This is the kind of adapter I am talking about:
    http://www.amazon.com/Shure-EA650-Control-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B000GTBDBA/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

Anyway I just prayed about the laptop before I got it and other than the issue above, it is pretty close to perfect.

15. carlgo macrumors 68000

You will be amazed at how much better this will be for you than your G3. I went from a G4 to the last MBP 15" and it was a revelation. I knew it would be an upgrade, but I was surprised at how much better it was.

For some reason I have bought many dozens of things over the years, from power tools to consumer electronics to vehicles and never, ever got a defective product. Knock, knock.

16. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

pleased yours is ok mate , congrats :) .

Thought the audio pop/hiss etc was just the previous gens MBP and not the late 2008 ....you got any links to support what your saying ? cheers

mate I didn't get it , it was damaged .....glad the gods of consumerism are on your side , I'm not having much luck buying most anything these days without it having one kind of fault or another :(

17. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Apple does straighten out any problems in production pretty fast. And
    we must realize these issues are a part of a new design coming out.

18. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well I have one of the new ones and have tried many different headphones on it. There is a thread here about it (they are talking about the old version, but I have the same problem on the new one):
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=446313&highlight=sound+problem+macbook+pro

19. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

noway ! !, these type of issues should be dealt with when they do a pre production run ....or are you telling me that Apple don't do that and just run production hoping for the best ???? anyways , it's been a month now and they are still shipping units with silly defects like scratches ....gimme a break

thanks
    I read that thread a while back(an a few others) and am very surprised you have the issue as a few of the lads I know don't at all , the previous gen seemed to have it across the entire .I'm intending only to use whichever mac I can for audio work , so it has to be bang on the money for me or no deal.

I'd take it back .

20. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Quite honestly... I thought the thread was the joke.

Seriously, when I read ALL of the problems, I thought you were going to say, "Then I decided it would be stupid to buy one with all of these problems."

Although, I wonder if these will make up the first stock of "REFURBISHED?"

Seriously, those are probably the refurbished machines that will be for sale on 12/26/2008...

Good luck with your next round, if you go that route. My MB is beautifully made. Impressive screen, no bad keys, and downright amazing quality and performance. I do still prefer my older MBP, which seems odd to me even. I find myself using the MBP in the evening or later in the day... I just think the glossy display is rough on my eyes.

21. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

No Problem. I've cooled down for now hoping they get them right. I have waited a long time for a new aluminum MB. I have a 2.2 Black Macbook so I wasn't really in need. I did however go home and order 4 gigs of ram for my MB. When it came in I also put in a 250 gb hdd while I was in there. I also bought a 12" Powerbook to travel with. So for a third of the price of a new MB I upgraded mine and got a toy to travel with. My Powerbook is a 1.5 with maxed 1.25 ram and a 250 hdd with dvi and bluetooth. It's all just for fun...

22. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I quite understand why you would :) . Thing is I looked at this thread as a place to have all the faults listed then I'd know exactly what to look out for ....I expect probs with a new computer these days so I just like to be informed I suppose :eek:

I'm on an old box so really could have done with the new machine ...oh well , back to waiting , I might just see if i can pick me up a PB for the time being

23. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

There is a nice 15" Powerbook right now in the MR Marketplace for $600.

24. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

cheers mate , I'm based in Europe though and think that shipping and tax would kill the price for me , no ?
    ....any ideas , looks a good machine that .

25. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

marbles, since you are going from a G3 machine to these new ones, are you sure you need all of the power of the Pro?

If you've been used to a G3 machine all this time, the speed increase from the regular MacBook will be vast. What do you actually want to use the machine for?