Right out of the box : charging advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidgnomo, Oct 7, 2014.

1. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Can anyone tell me what is the standard procedure to charge an iPhone 6 Plus just taken out of the box ? Do I need to put it immediately in charge or do I need to finish the residual amount of charge in the phone before putting it again under charge ?

2. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Modern batteries are paired with very good management software, so there's really no "wrong" way to charge a battery out of box. But if you want to condition it, just top it off and discharge it as you would over a day or two.

3. davidgnomo thread starter macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Thanks : so I'll go for an immediate full charge, than a couple of days of use (which should put it down to 10/15%), than charge again ...

4. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I always fully charge while setting it up since I plug it in to itunes. Then I let it discharge down to at least 5%, then I charge fully back to 100% without using the phone. Then back down to 5% and so on. I do this for the first few charges. This is just how I like to do it.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

The batteries were at some point charged to 100% before you got it. Use it like it has already been charged fully.

6. Shadow Runner macrumors regular

My plus had 98% charge when I first turned it on. I topped it off then used it as normal. Normal for me is rarely below 20% before I charge it back up.

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I say just use it and charge while you are asleep. I usually put mine on charge while it is updating as it arrives with over a half charge. I never run it all,the way down except maybe once every few months to recal the indicator.

Best to not worry and just enjoy you phone.

9. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

If you read up on lithuim ion batteries like the ones in our phones, keeping it between 40%-80% is the optimal...

Once a month do a full charge, full discharge to "calibrate" the battery meter...

It was tough to keep the previous iPhones in that range but the 6+s are easy...

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

SO, how do you do this. Do you like look at your phone while charging to make sure it does not get over 80%:rolleyes:

11. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

LOL!!!

while working at my cubicle, I have my phone plugged in right next to me so yes, every once in a while I'll glance over and see where its at...

I stopped at 82% just tonight...gosh I hope my battery will hold up for the next 2 years!!!

12. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I thought the 40-80% was optimal just if you were going to store the phone away and not use it for a long time. If you are discharging (aka using) it everyday I would assume that charging up to 100% is fine.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Without all the trouble you are going to, you battery will last the two years.

Enjoy!

That is correct! This is just another battery thread full of misinformation. It is why some stay confused on a really simple process.

14. Gryfter, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

before you go and call out people's info as "misinformation", you should really do some research first:

couple of examples:
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Tech/2014/0103/40-80-rule-New-tip-for-extending-battery-life

http://superuser.com/questions/427099/why-is-keeping-my-mac-battery-40-80-charged-advantageous

heres the full google link with the 40-80 rule: I'd suggest you read through some of the articles...
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=40-80+charge+

yes charging it to full 100% every night is fine but I said in my first post, the 40-80 is optimal...

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry I am not depending on the Christian Science Monitor to teach me how to use my iPhone:p

You better look at your phone as it could be overcharging!:p