Right wing growing desperate for a good comedian: Why money can't buy funny

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by WarHeadz, May 21, 2017.

1. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Very interesting article and I think it hits the nail on the head. Right wing comedians mostly fail because they punch down instead of up. Here is a video from the linked article, good luck trying to sit through it.

The vicious mockery of right wing politics on this country will no doubt have a major effect on the future voting preferences of people who are currently teenagers. It makes sense that the right continues to try (and fail) at comedy.

Link

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

"Punching down" (I never heard of the phrase until this election cycle, but I think it's perfect) is never funny.

It's got to be a sad state of mind when someone enjoys being angry at anyone below them.

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Lots of what he spoke about is true regardless of whether you think he's funny.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"If the government actually fixed things, they'd go out of business" - Wurt? o_O

5. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

So...did you think he was funny?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

"If the government actually fixed things, they'd go out of business." — Michael Loftus

Um, no, you ****ing idiot, because there's always a new problem that needs fixing coming down the line.

7. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Ah, I see you sat through the video. That's 7 minutes of your life you'll never get back, sorry for putting you through that.

And yeah that comment made absolutely zero sense. The forced laughter from the audience was painful.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Actually, that line was literally as far as I made it :p
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2017 ---
    ....or because the government is not, and should never be thought of/ran as a business.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Way to acknowledge that you completely missed the point of the thread.

(Leaving aside whether that's deliberate.)

I never see most of whatever goes on in the world of TV and even video clips but I still find conservative writers at least droll once in awhile if not downright funny. And then I tend to go back to see what else they've come up with over time. So the powers that move and shake on the conservative side of things are not wrong in seeking to fill a perceived vacuum of humor from the right. They're apparently just unable to kick it off very well in some venues, where for instance the immediacy of video is its own and sometimes too distracting message.

Still, the main discovery might be the one that indeed it's not funny to see someone focusing on punching down. At their own risk maybe the GOP should stick to trying to be funny on film during primary seasons... punching sideways, a little more slack gets cut by observers.

Or they could try making fun of themselves once in awhile. A Republican roast of Republicans. I might have to try to tune that in.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Mostly because of government.
    I only watched a couple minutes of it and skimmed the article. I don't find Crowder funny, some of his bits maybe funny but he always seems to try to hard to me. I would take a guess and say the reason that there are not many vocal republican comedians is the same reason as they are not that many vocal republican actors. It's frowned upon by the establishment in those professions.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The question at hand isn't the vocality of republican comedians, its whether right wing ideology can somehow be funny.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Of course it can. What I am saying is that republican comedians probably just to keep the politics on the DL and stick to neutral topics.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because the meanie liberals just won't let them joke about taking food stamps from children in need, the horror!

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

More like it's a career ender.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

uh...

Wow.

Wha-w-what was that? o_O

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

it's mainstream to hate-on the current administration thus why so many comics fill their time slots with Trump and conservative slams.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Comedy.

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I was going to post this exact video. Funny to a point but the more you watch it the sadder it actually gets as the stereotype as most, is based on reality. That reality is pathetic not funny.

The same for comedians like Seth Myers. I used to laugh and like him but the topics he covers and the slant he puts on things while funny is sad thus he's a downer for me. The views he supports in his skits are what's wrong with the country.

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That music video and the news segment on the woman with 11 or so kids staying in a hotel saying "somebody has to pay". One is a parody of the system the other is the sad state of the system.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

But not in the "ha ha" sense....right?

Absurdist comedy pointed out by right wing members as "the reality" of the food assistance programs in the country. Do you guys understand why nobody takes you seriously? <@PDQGP

That said, love the avatar, one of my favorite movies.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

See my post above. I'd file it as parody.

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

that video does point out some of the reality of our programs. welfare and programs like this are a way of life for many, just look at the original news story that prompted the video. "someone has to pay for my kids" or whatever that woman yelled.... unforunately there's no comedic writer or late night host to deliver that sad story in a funny fashion.

23. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

What is the left wing ideology and why is it funny?

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Running the country properly is serious business.

Conservatives don't rely on clowns to keep us distracted.

25. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez