RIM (Blackberry) stock plummets, Apple stock skyrockets! Woohoo!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Just took this screenshot...

Blackberry Storm is more like a drizzle.

"what’s coming in the weeks ahead: 1) a new line of high-margin notebook computers scheduled to be unveiled Oct. 14 and 2) a quarterly earnings report on Oct. 21 that are widely expected to blow past Apple’s guidance numbers." -Fortune Magazine website

Attached Files:

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It IS nice to see Apple's stock going up again, even though it's still down over a third of its value compared to just a month ago.

Then again, the market is being overwhelmed by a bunch of people acting like chickens with their heads cut off.
    RIMM's stock plummeting probably has little to with the Blackberry Storm, and a lot to do with the prevailing panic.

Hopefully Apple will come out of the situation with little damage. And hopefully we'll all still have jobs and can afford to not have to pawn our nice Apple products. :(

3. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Thank you, scaredpoet.

I was just about to comment how Apple's stock has dropped nearly 100 points in recent months, asking the OP if this was a suggestion to buy or what?

If so, that's not like a real stock tip, buy anything right now, or wait a few weeks and buy, everything is at low points.

I just really don't understand the post, look at the rest of those stocks, everything is down. Apple is just having a decent day.

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Microsoft are eyeing up RIM.

This can only be a bad thing for RIM.

5. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

The reason Apple is up is because they have announced to the public that they are releasing new laptop computers on Tuesday. There are rumors all over WallStreet that the least expensive of the new laptops is going to be $799. This will allow Apple to compete in the sub-$1000 laptop market, which is more than 95% of all laptops sold. With BestBuy selling Apple computers, Apple will now have a $799 computer to compete with Dell, HP, Sony, and the others.
    This is the reason that Apple's stock is up today.

Here is one of numerous articles on this topic: http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/new...41842.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

And how many times have we seen AAPL tank right after a special event?! Only about every time... :D

7. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Wait until he has to give a breakdown of the Final Four quarters of the 2008 economy.
    [​IMG]

whoa! Here's the latest! Apple up 10%, and look at Rimm's graph!

Attached Files:

8. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Are you actually saying you understand and can predict the stock market?

9. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Yes but RIMM has only dropped 10 points, Apple has plummeted nearly 100!

I understand RIMM is a cheaper stock, but Apple is not doing well.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

RIMM's 52-week high was 148.13, so they've gone down a lot in the last year too, no?

11. jalpert macrumors 6502

Not only is MS eying RIM, but the word is that they have a standing order to buy them at $50/share. I don't care how much you hate RIM, Microsoft is worse, and even worse than that are 2 big players instead of 3 in the game.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

Now that we've seen the "skyrocketing" behavior of one day, let's look at the inverse over the past month.

Attached Files:

13. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you?

14. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Yes, I'm not saying it hasn't but Apple was up over $200/share in January. I actually owned Apple stock when it was up there. Didn't quite sell in time, but still made some money.

The stock market sucks and we can do this about every stock, I just don't understand the OP to begin with. The market rebounded today and everything is pretty much up.

Unpredictable.

15. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

How did you get an extra-tall screen on your iPhone? :confused:

16. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

It's from the computer...

17. JoshHawn macrumors member

yeah dude, it's called a widget :O:rolleyes:

18. JoshHawn macrumors member

I really looked into it

Well, actually, if you look at all the graphs for the past 2 years for both Apple and RIM, you may see some similarities :O, which would leave me to believe that it is just a trend that the tech industry is going through right now, i'll also throw in google's graphs for comparison :D

Attached Files:

19. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

OP - Do you own Apple? Have you shored RIMM? Otherwise, I sort of understand being such a fanboi that you care if apple stock does well, but why would you possibly cheer RIMM's stock going down? The market isn't a zero-sum game.

20. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I bought some Apple Thursday at 88 and change. Here's hoping for a major bounce-back this fall! :D

21. surfer99 macrumors 6502

"The market rebounded today"?????? Dow down 128 points, last time I checked thats not a rebound. I know the qqqqq finished up, but by what? 4 points? Once again I hardly think that is considered any type of rebound.

22. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Considering at like 10 a.m. DJIA was down nearly under 8,000, I think it rebounding (and obviously I'm using the term very lightly) to 8,451.19, as it stands now, is a hell of a lot better than when it was at like 8,050 in the early hours.

If you think I was, even for a second, thinking the market "rebounded," let me just say that I'm still breathing so I couldn't possibly be competent and think that.

To be honest, I'm still so confused about the point of this post. Are we supposed to all run out and buy Apple products because it had a positive day? This is so dumb...

23. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I think everyone on here misunderstood what the OP was all about. I wasn't talking long-term at all. The image I posted was from the next day, after the Storm was announced. On that day's news, it appeared that Rimm was down as Apple was up due to people ignoring the Storm compared to the iPhone. In reality, Apple was up due to the impending release of their new line of notebook computers (plus some day traders running up the stock - at least that's what the media concluded at the end of the day). I was just poking fum of Rimm because they are Apple's comp. This thread had nothing to do with long-term investing. I've been investing for decades myself, and I am VERY knowledgeable of investing (I'm not perfect). The OP was just a "jester" at Rimm from Apple. Nothing else.

For those that aren't paying attetion, the Asian markets are up 10% right now, and the Euro markets are up 7%. (note that the apparent decline in the Nikkei225 is actually Friday's graph - the Nikkei is closed today due to a national holiday)

24. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

Skyrockets? are you on acid? Apple's stock has nearly halved in value in the last month. Even a 10% gain at it's current price is a joke for those unlucky enough to not have been paying attention and sold off.