RIM PlayBook users VERY angry at video showing iPad is superior!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jp78, May 9, 2011.

1. jp78 macrumors newbie

Check out this video.. over 2,000 RIM views in only days

http://youtu.be/xxJa4OIqNC0

RIM fanboys are on the attack defending their beloved PlayBook.

I figured I'd post this here and give Apple fans the opportunity to set them straight.

Cheers!

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

It's an expensive doorstop. Can't really use it as a frisbee, unfortunately, which might actually make it enjoyable.

3. jp78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya I am not impressed. It has some features that are nice.. but overall is pretty weak. When will the competition learn that it's all about the ecosystem!

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I can see where this thread will go or is going. :)

5. jp78 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

This reviewer was biased from the start and its this kind of mentality from some people that can give us Apple users such a snooty reputation. I wouldn't be surprised if he did this to actually cause a fuss to be honest cos his arguments are infuriating, even for an avid apple user and RIM avoider...

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Sad truth is most stores have the Playbook in stock. I think the news showed five people in a lineup on its release date.

I can't see RIM throwing the massive amount of resources needed at the Playbook just to make it a competitive tablet.

It's like watching Palm.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well the guy seems kind of whinny any how and just wanted to bash it.

He clearly is not a standard person. Nothing in turning it on really seems off from RIM. Just a whinny guy.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I have to agree with you on every point - a clearly biased review against the PlayBook is as bad as a clearly biased review against the iPad. One thing I did notice though is that RIM have done a decent job on the UI and it looks pretty nice - I didn't like the layout of the keyboard, though (Q key directly above the A key, etc).

10. jp78 thread starter macrumors newbie

The power button is a known issue and RIM is redoing the power button on current builds.

RIM is seeing a large number of returns and users have actually broken their device by trying to turn it on with a ballpoint pen.

The UI is decent on PlayBook but the app store and majority of the apps are just bad.

Flash is unstable.

11. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

That review was pretty terrible. All I learned is that it is a bit slow to boot. That hardly makes the device "horrible" and a 1:17 boot time is hardly "unacceptable" if you can put the device to sleep. The reviewer obviously didn't want to like it from the off. I can't honestly say from that whether the PlayBook is good or not. In the same way, I wouldn't trust his opinion on the iPad.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

That guy did seem a trifle bias against the device. I mean, yeah, the boot time was slow, you can't skip the tutorial and there is a lack of Apps at the moment. Everything else he pointed out I'd consider normal.

At least you don't have to plug the device into iTunes before you can get it working. :p

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Thats something I don't like about the iPhone. Apple boasts how it can do so much stuff, but it can't operate without a computer. No other phones are relient on a computer.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I dunno, the iPad has multiple software updates that - if you want to use the app store - are also unskippable, and, well, who cares about the boot time? How often do you iPad onwers boot anyway?

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ha.. no you just have to teather it to your current BB in order to get email and calander functions lol :).... But that should be fixed shortly.

16. Abstract, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

From the 2 good PlayBook reviews I read, both reviewers complained about the lack of apps in the market (uh.....no kidding. It's too new at the mo), and the lack of the very basic calendar and email apps (what was RIM thinking?). Occasionally, the text was sometimes a bit too small unless you pinched to zoom, and the battery life is 7 hours.

What they didn't complain about was the UI. All the right ideas are there, notifications are great, multitasking was Ok, the browser could play flash well enough, the browser was good, and the screen was nice.

If your primary uses for ANY tablet is to browse the net, watch movies when on an airplane/train/bus/etc, and reading some PDFs or eBooks, it doesn't sound like the PlayBook is a bad choice. Actually, it seems like a GOOD choice. :confused: For those who have very basic needs like internet and movies, I'd rather browse on a browser that can view flash pages.

I don't want a tablet, so I don't really care that much, but the PlayBook seems to be getting some negative reviews because reviewers feel that "power users" would find it lacking, and yet the iPad's UI lacks features that EVERYONE would find useful and still gets a positive review. :confused: It lacks features that should have been added by now. It's not like iOS is new.

17. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Exactly - all you need to do is connect it to a Blackberry to get access to the internet when not on wifi, get access to your email/calendar always.

Wait, did they just substitute a computer with iTunes once or whenever you want to add more content onto it for a Blackberry whenever you need to access your email? [sarcasm] Damn. RIM are clever guys [/sarcasm]