Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ringdoorbell-250x429.jpg
Ring today announced [PDF] that its acquisition by Amazon has been completed, and following the merger, Amazon has permanently dropped the price tag of the entry-level first-generation Ring Video Doorbell.

The Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell is now available from Amazon for $99.99, $50 off of the original $149 MSRP for the accessory. The Video Doorbell, which offers 720p video, is designed to allow you to see and speak to anyone who comes to the door using a connected smartphone.

While the entry-level Ring is available for $99, upgraded versions are more expensive. The Video Doorbell 2 with 1080p resolution is $199, the Video Doorbell Pro, which is hardwired, is $249, and the Video Doorbell Elite, described as a "professional-grade doorbell" is $499. Ring also makes a line of Spotlight and Floodlight Cams.

Ring and Amazon are aiming to cut down on crime in neighborhoods with their partnership, and an LAPD pilot program has suggested the Ring Video Doorbell can reduce burglaries by as much as 55 percent.
"Our mission to reduce crime in neighborhoods has been at the core of everything we do at Ring," said Jamie Siminoff, CEO and Chief Inventor of Ring. "Together with Amazon, we will accelerate our mission dramatically by connecting more neighbors globally and making our security devices and systems more affordable and accessible. The entire Ring team is excited to continue working hard to create products and services that bring real benefits to people's lives and build safer communities for all our neighbors."
Ring has been promising to add HomeKit integration to its products for months now, and the company says that despite its Amazon acquisition, HomeKit support continues to be in the works for the Ring Pro and the Floodlight Cam.

Amazon first announced its acquisition of Ring back in late February, paying over $1 billion for the smart home company. Ring is part of a new smart home strategy for Amazon, and marks Amazon's second major smart home purchase following its December Blink acquisition.

Article Link: Ring Video Doorbell Gets New $99 Price Tag Following Amazon Acquisition

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
It is amazing that, in spite of crime statistics that show an all time historical low, Americans live in fear thanks to the media. Congrats to companies making money off of these unwarranted fears. Oh by the way, the peep hole in the door does the same thing.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
It is amazing that, in spite of crime statistics that show an all time historical low, Americans live in fear thanks to the media. Congrats to companies making money off of these unwarranted fears. Oh by the way, the peep hole in the door does the same thing.
Oh cool, they upgraded the peep hole so I can see out from other parts of the house via my iPhone?

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I like my Ring 2. Works well with our iPhones and even my iMac. Hope to see these everywhere, they're a good addition to any home.

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009

Right, because obviously everyone is at home, all day, staring out their peephole to make sure people don't steal their packages, test side gates, try to break into cars in the driveway, oh and everyone has a photographic memory as well.

Mikey44

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012

So I can look out my peephole when I am half way around the country visiting family? Awesome!

Seriously though, this could be a great product if you wanted to develop it. A camera peep hole that gives the appearance of someone actually being home, like an light up eye on the other side of the lens, maybe put the speaker on the other side of the door so it really sounds like someone is inside. It's a brilliant idea.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas

Very true, but that doesn't negate the potential usefulness / need for this. Consider the scenario where you have packages being delivered while you're at work. Now consider that someone is following behind the delivery truck picking up packages off porches. You're not at home... and even if you were it's highly unlikely you would be looking out the peephole at exactly the right moment. Now introduce RING... which can be motion activated. When Crook approaches your door he/she is being recorded. With the HD version you might even get a shot of the vehicle. NOW you have something useful to report to the police.

Reactions: bliggs

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Nice timing! My original ring had some issues and was not working properly so the company replaced it (great customer service BTW). I asked if I could upgrade to the Ring 2 and pay the difference and they said yes. So only cost me $50 for the new one, which is far superior. Just did this three weeks ago. Hee hee.

I would highly recommend this to anyone. This doorbell is amazing and really helps me manage packages and deliveries. Customer service is top notch. IMO it increases home security as well.
[doublepost=1523555323][/doublepost]

I live in a neighborhood that historically has been very safe and quiet. In the last six months I know of at least 3 burglaries on my block, two of which occurred when the residents were home. Two cars were also stolen from their driveways, including my neighbor across the street.

My ring is set up so that anyone stepping foot onto my property is instantly recorded and the doorbell is the first thing you see. Pretty confident that this will deter MOST criminals from even attempting anything. And if not, then I have full video of them (plus my indoor security cameras. :-D).

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
These would be easy to steal lol, although would have to (insert tech jargon) to allow the stolen device to work with someone else's 'stuff' (the most technical word i know)

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
So now when someone steals your package, they can confirm delivery. This will make it your problem to deal with police and take the loss!
If you were reporting that someone stole your package aren’t you already acknowledging that it was on your property? Otherwise you’d be saying it wasn’t delivered.

cjgrif

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Salisbury, MD
I'm just waiting for the announcement that the cloud recording plan is now included with my Prime membership, so that will be one less thing I have to pay for each year (wishful thinking, but not inconceivable).

At $100 I may have to get a second one for the side door...though I'm still kind of kicking myself for not taking Ring up on the offer to buy a Pro last year for $100.

WAYLIFE

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012

You must have one of those fancy peep holes that sends you alerts and remotely streams video. Link me!

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
They're not unwarranted at all, it just gives you peace of mind in case anything does happen.

Reactions: Sandstorm

anek007

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2014
Last years holiday prices. It’s coming up to the 2 year mark that gen so they’re trying to get rid of inventory for possible refresh. If it’s a discount for the acquisition it would have been all around for all devices but the other two are still same price. Bought ours for $99 during the holiday. So far so good. What makes it better than the other brands is the community. Post and videos can be shared in app to near by user. Along with sharing with social media. New age form of neighborhood watch.

Reactions: richhh

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Does more than just function as a peep hole.

Lets me know when UPS/FedEx drops off packages (motion sensor). If someone attempts to steal a delivery, I’ll have photographic evidence. Let’s me check in my front yard and speak to anyone at the door any time I want from anywhere in the world. And I know when my teenagers come and go.

I have a Ring Pro and personally I love the thing. Moving to a new house soon and may go with the Nest Hello instead at the new house (for several reasons not germane to this discussion), but same idea. Wouldn’t want to be without it.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I am a b ig PoE fan,. But seriously $400 more to have PoE. Please justify it.
I have 2 POE cameras hooked to Windows 7 running Blue Iris. They are mounted under the eves. We did have a $400 package stolen (not amazon, it was some mac seller for a 1 tb ssd) about a year ago. The homeless meth addict just got prosecuted for it as he did it during the day while I left for 10 minutes. The picture was put on facebook and identified in 1.5 hours. These types of cameras are also useful for accidents, neighborhood shinanigans (one guy stole the neighbor’s mailbox when drunk/high), and to figure out what jerk doesn’t pick up dog poo. A couple guys abandoned their huge upholstered chair on our lawn. We figured out where they came from in 4 door knocks. Once a girl knocked on my door at 10:30 pm and I was able to figure out who it was (playing truth or dare, no big deal). I was able to explain the number of thefts in the neighborhood and how knocking first can identify which person is gone.

So yeah, the need for these is rising. For those of you that don’t need it, congrats. For those of us that do, at least it is an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.