RIP Isabelle Caro

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by VideoFreek, Dec 31, 2010.

1. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Isabelle Caro, the Face of Anorexia, Dies at 28

I was touched by this young woman's story a couple of years back. Suffering appallingly from a lifelong battle with anorexia, in 2007 she posed naked for a controversial series of posters designed to warn other women of the dangers of the disease. Putting aside her privacy and her modesty, she heroically put herself in front of the whole world in an effort to help others.

Sadly, it has just come to light that she died last month, at the tender young age of 28. Rest in Peace, Isabelle.

[​IMG]

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Wow, that is insane. I am not even sure what to say. For us Engrish system users, the girl weighed 63 pounds, which for her size is roughly HALF of what a healthy BMI is. I went online and saw the photos used for the advertisement and it is unreal how wasted the girl's body was...and I mean it was wasted; emaciation beyond that of starving children in developing countries. I would assume this was the reason she died as opposed to recover from the respiratory infection, as the human body simply cannot function correctly when it looks like that. In America, obesity rates are ridiculous and the issue gets a lot of attention; despite this, there is a major problem of anorexia here and in all Western countries, and the health dangers of being seriously underweight are just as, if not worse, than obesity. I guarantee you her bone density was less than most 100 year old women.

Psychologically, I am just wowed. Anorexia is characterized by an EXTREME hate of your body and people with anorexia do NOT want to be seen. Imagine the level of bravery it must have taken her to allow the taking and publishing of nude photos.