Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
nooooo...

damn.. Its nothing but Ray Charles the rest of the day for me.

"Georgia On My Mind"

Now where is that Airport Express :) damn.

- Doc

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
shi*t

i really loved ray charles, all the good musicians are dying :( last time i cried was george harrison, rest in peace ray, u were awesome and still are.

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
blues%20bros%20ray%20charles~2.jpg

"I suppose I gotta take an IOU..."

RIP Ray :(

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
The worst thing about great artists like Ray Charles dying is that the new artists now up-and-coming are nothing by comparison. All these talented people leave us, and there is little new talent to replace them. :(

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Spanish Angels does it for me, I get tears in my eyes every time I hear it. Now it's gonna mean even more, RIP Ray, you moved so many souls and were loved by all. More than a musician the man was a diplomat of the genre.

He will be missed :( :( :(

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My prayers go out to his family and friends. May he rest in peace. May the Lord be with his soul.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
We have lost one of the most influential and talented performers of the 20th century...Rest in peace, Ray. :(

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
ratspg said:
i really loved ray charles, all the good musicians are dying :( last time i cried was george harrison, rest in peace ray, u were awesome and still are.
It's cryin' time again.

Fact: Ray Charles was sighted until age 7, when he became blind from glaucoma.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
3rdpath said:
one of the greatest soul singers is gone...his version of 'America The Beautiful' is just amazing.

Starting with the seldom-sung third stanza is one of those subtle inspirations we learned to expect from Ray.

True story: Two nights ago I was walking around the house with my iPod in hand and got the thought to listen to something I hadn't heard for a while before I turned in. I picked Ray's "America the Beautiful."

I slept well, and I hope Ray does too.

Amani

macrumors member
May 31, 2004
Sacramento, CA
How fitting that he passed away in what has been proclaimed this Black Music Month. His contribution to African-American and American music is un-measurable.

fingers

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
London
mactastic said:
Oh man that sucks so bad. At least I got to see Ray perform before he died. :(

I am very envious of you there man... I never got to see John Lee Hooker either :(

RIP Ray - and thank you for your wonderful contribution to our world!

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
fingers said:
I am very envious of you there man... I never got to see John Lee Hooker either :(

RIP Ray - and thank you for your wonderful contribution to our world!

Oh you'll probably hate me now, but I saw John Lee Hooker play once too. Not as intimate of a setting as where I saw Ray, (I had to sneak up onto a hill looking down into Aptos park to see JLH), Ray I got to see legitimately from about 30' away at the Paul Masson Winery. Etta James was his opening act. Fan-freakin-tastic. :D

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
That's really sad--not many people have that much of an effect on the music of a country.

What's almost as sad is that the last time I saw him perform (not in person--I'm not actually a fan) was playing the Star Spangled banner on a harmonica to introduce Bob Sapp in the K1 free-for-all fighting match on New Year's Eve, where he thoroughly humiliated former sumo champ Akebono.

The whole event was so tragic and base that I couldn't believe Ray Charles did it.

Gotta admit that was a surreal way to ring in the New Year in Japan, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.