Ripped movies in itunes OK not on ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by prycop, Mar 6, 2010.

1. prycop macrumors member

Hi,
    I have ripped movies playing fine on an iMac via itunes.
    They sync with no problem on Apple TV.
    They wont play though, the movies either crash ATV or play the movie audio but with the video freezing every 10 secs or so?

What am I doing wrong?

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    On your iMac, use Quicktime on one of the problematic movies and choose "show movie inspector". Then compare some of that information to the specs of what the :apple:TV can play, OR write them into a reply here and we'll quickly tell you what's wrong.

A few tips as guesses:
    • Are you using Handbrake with the standard :apple:TV preset or some kind of customized preset (the latter is likely your problem)?
    • FPS needs to be less than or equal to 30, and less than or equal to 25 for 720p HD content
    • Datarate is challenged at anything above about 6K, with 5K being the Apple spec

You can't think something is wrong based on if it will play on your iMac or in iTunes on that iMac. Both are using full versions of Quicktime on much higher quality underlying hardware. :apple:TV is minimally speced hardware with significantly limited Quicktime playback options out of the box.

Your problem is very likely going to show up when you use movie inspector and compare it to the specs on Apple's site for what :apple:TV can play. One or more of those specs- probably the bulleted ones above- will probably be higher than what :apple:TV can handle. If not, share those details, and we'll try some other possibilities.

3. prycop thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the full and detailed reply.
    I have been using Redux Encoder with the ATV setting (I think) or downloading mp4 movies already ripped.

Here is the information shown in Quicktime Inspector for a couple of movies that won't run video on ATV:

Movie 1:
    Format: H.264. 720 x 480, Millions
    AAC, 2 Channels, 48000 Hz
    FPS: 23.98
    Data Size: 1.05 GB
    Data Rate: 1,450.46 kbit/s
    Current size: 854 x 480 pixels

Movie 2:
    Format: H.264, 720 x 304, Millions
    AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000kHz
    AAC 5.1 (C L R Ls Rs LFE), 48.000kHz
    FPS: 25.00
    Data Size: zero KB
    Data Rate: 0.00 bit/s
    Current Size 720 x 304 pixels (Actual)

I'n the meantime I'll use Handbreak to reformat in the default ATV.

Thanks again

4. prycop thread starter macrumors member

Good news - I ran my files through handbreak ATV default setting and all movies now work fine - thanks!