Ripping DVDs so I can watch them on my Air..I need help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BaronvdB, Apr 25, 2008.

1. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Hey guys,

I'm going to be going on a trip next week and I want to put some of my dvds on the macbook air i just bought so i can watch them on the plane...This is the first time i've tried to rip dvds and it doesn't seem to be working.

Here are the steps I took:
    1. Used Mac The Ripper to get the DVD into a Video_TS folder.
    2. Dragged that folder into Elgato Turbo .264 and let it run.
    3. Playback the movie in itunes.

My problem is the movie isn't watchable. The sound and picture skips and digitizes when i play it back. Anybody have an idea why this is happening or have a better method??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Have you tried Handbrake? Link

It sounds like the quality/bitrate is simply too high for the MacBook Air to process. Handbrake has some presets that would probably allow for smoother playback while saving you HDD space as well. ...Although Elgato probably has similar settings as well.

3. BaronvdB thread starter macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm doing all the ripping on my iMac (see sig) which has plenty of power. After I successfully rip the DVD i will then move it to the air.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

no EricNau is saying that the bitrate for the H.264 mp4 may be too high for the MBA's 1.6/1.8 GHz processor to play.

i use a bitrate of 2400 kb/s as this is what Apple uses for its SD movies on the iTS so try inputing below 1000 for the bitrate in Handbrake.

the Elgato is a USB hardware H.264 decoder right? so you probably be better off using that than Handbrake. does the Elgato have bitrate or size settings?

if you decide to use Handbrake you dont need to use MacTheRipper first as it has its own decrypter. BUT it may not decrypt the latest DVDs with newer encryption so you need to use the latest MacTheRipper for this which is donationware… all to backup or encode your own personal DVDs of course.