Ripping parts of a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scb02, Mar 2, 2012.

1. scb02 macrumors regular

Chaps what's the best (preferably free) software where I can rip 1-2 minutes slices off a DVD? Doing a Video CV for a local sportsman who wants certain parts of over 25 DVD's I don't want to go importing every single DVD as he only needs 2-3 mins off each DVD but in various places, what's the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks
    Simon

2. simsaladimbamba

Either use HandBrake and its option to select IN and OUT points via setting the seconds:
    [​IMG]
    or use MPEG Streamclip + QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component (19.99 USD or included with Final Cut Studio) to be able to read video DVDs in MPEG Streamclip and then setting IN and OUT marks and then exporting that selection to a format of your choice (better for editing).

Also know, that using HandBrake will compress the footage further and make it less editable (another transcoding needed for iMovie, FCP and Avid), while using MPEG Streamclip gives you a proper export selection.

As the source footage is probably not copy-protected, you don't need to rip the DVDs first, if you use MPEG Streamclip.

3. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Will get MPEG Streamclip and give it a go thanks! Is it quite straight forward on the UI?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, but maybe have a look at these guides:

As for setting IN and OUT points, just use the I and O key at the times you want to have that.

Which editing application do you use? If it is Avid or FCP, you can use JKL and the arrow keys for navigation in MPEG Streamclip.
    As for output settings, it depends on your further steps, but the guides I linked to should give you a bearing.

5. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing fancy, he's a semi-pro rugby player and wants sections of each game he has done well in, then simple fade between them all with the odd slow motion so probably just do it all in iMovie!

6. simsaladimbamba

7. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

I do use lion! Could be fun! Will report back.

8. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    What if you wanted to do this task but with copy-protected DVDs? Would the process then be different?

I have Lion on my MacBook Pro but my Mac Mini still has Snow Leopard so I can do this on there. Or make a partition on my MBP with SL.

9. simsaladimbamba