Rise Of The Tomb Raider for Mac? Any word yet?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by BigBoyBmw760li, Jan 6, 2016.

1. BigBoyBmw760li macrumors member

BigBoyBmw760li

As you all might know, Rise of The Tomb raider is coming to steam this month apparently. I know this is a timed exclusive, but is only for PS4? I really do not want to get a Xbox One since the game is going to look better on PS4 (We might even see the PS4 version be a definitive version as well)

Tomb raider was amazing on my 5k iMac. I really do not want to wait until Christmas time to play this amazing game nor do I want to get inferior hardware and spoil my experience!

Us mac users deserve to know!

2. imacken macrumors 65816

Been talked about a couple of times already here.
    Feral are saying nothing - unfortunately!

3. matt3526 macrumors regular

You could always just run it on bootcamp. You can get windows 7 for £20, significantly cheaper than Xbox One.

4. imacken macrumors 65816

I try and avoid playing games on Bootcamp for various reasons, one of which is that the Mac developers don't get the cash!

5. matt3526 macrumors regular

Nor will they if you get an Xbox or PS...

6. imacken macrumors 65816

I have no idea what you mean. I have no intention whatsoever of buying a console. Never even mentioned them! I wait for Mac releases, but I just wish that Feral etc. would announce them earlier than they do, but we've had this discussion here already.

7. matt3526 macrumors regular

Sorry, I got you confused with the op

8. TheGreatWumpus macrumors regular

TheGreatWumpus

9. wubsylol macrumors regular

Given that Microsoft paid a bunch of money for this to be a Xbox/Windows timed exclusive, I can't see it being ported to OS X until at least the PS4 version is out in late 2016.

10. Bezbozny, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

Bezbozny macrumors member

Any news about a release of the game for the mac?

11. imacken macrumors 65816

Sadly, no. Feral haven't said no, but there again, they haven't said yes either!

12. Bezbozny macrumors member

That's a pity... I m sure the sales would be good.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Aaaah, the words "Mac" and "game" in the same sentence... :eek:

;)

14. Bezbozny macrumors member

Well the previous tomb raider was a great game and I m sure it must have made quite good sales on mac...

15. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

I'm pretty sure the new game will make your Mac melt.

16. imacken macrumors 65816

Yep, Tomb Raider 2013 was amazing on Mac. Personally, I'm quite confident that Rise will be released on macOS.

17. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68030

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Porting it to OpenGL 4.2 would be hard work and make it look dated. Metal isn't ready for that kind of title.

18. imacken macrumors 65816

Yet Deus Ex:MD is?

19. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68030

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

It was originally released as a DX11 title and then patched to 12. I don't know enough about the port - what graphics features it supports or which is sacrificed.

20. imacken macrumors 65816

Same as Rise of the Tomb Raider, patched to DX12 from 11.

21. imacken macrumors 65816

Tried ROTTR in Bootcamp and the AMD drivers don't work with it set to DX12. Just get a black screen. Problem was fixed by AMD with driver updates that, of course, we Apple users don't get! Still stuck with 15.3 from April.
    Fortunately, the game runs nicely on High settings at 2560x1440 in DX11 on my late 2015 iMac.
    (Similar issue with Deus Ex: Mankind - see other thread here)

22. Bezbozny macrumors member

23. imacken macrumors 65816

Nothing I've seen. In fact, in my opinion, the future of Mac gaming is looking bleak. In the last year what AAA titles have there been?
    Lots of cancellations or delays, e.g. F1 2015, Deus Ex: MD, Elite Dangerous Horizons, but no big games - certainly ones I enjoy. The last one I played on Mac was Life is Strange before last summer, sorry, plus Mad Max for a while also!
    No I know there have been strategy titles, like Total War, Civ 6, but I have no interest in those type of games.
    Where are the big titles of a few years ago like Thief, Alien Isolation, Deus Ex: HR, Tomb Raider, Arkham City, Hitman Absolution, etc. etc.?
    I have been very loyal to Mac gaming and Feral in particular over the last few years, but I ran out of patience waiting for Deus Ex: HD and ROTTR etc. and played them both in Bootcamp.
    Sadly, my gaming has moved almost exclusively to Windows now.
    Purely one person's opinion, but I don't feel optimistic at all re gaming on the Mac. Other may disagree.
    PS. The DX12 issue mentioned in previous posts was resolved by using the current AMD drivers as provided at bootcampdrivers.com!

24. wubsylol macrumors regular

There have been plenty of AAA games released recently for the Mac.
    Don't let the fact that you aren't keen on the latest batch of releases ruin your enthusiasm for the platform.
    Aspyr and Feral can only do so much...

25. imacken macrumors 65816

Sorry, but I disagree. Apart from Civ 6, what AAA game have Aspyr released in the last 6 or 7 months!
    Apart from Total War stuff, what AAA games have Feral released in the last 6 or 7 months?
    I have no idea where you get your 'plenty of AAA games released recently for Mac' from.
    Maybe I'm blind, but I just don't see it!